Christmas for older teens

danetter

DIS Veteran
I have an 18 yr old and I'm stumped as to what to get her for Christmas.. We usually get both DD's 1 big item, clothes, usually a pair of shoes or boots and stocking stuffers.. My youngest DD is wanting a bigger bicycle this year and I have got to come up with something that I can get my 18 yr old. I keep asking to get ideas but she can't really think of anything other than the main thing is a fitbit. I've read reviews on QVC or HSN and the reviews aren't great. Also I'm not sure after she gets it how much she will actually like it herself and feel jipped although they are expensive. She has a Silhouette Cameo she got with some of her graduation money and I've asked her if she would like something to use with it since she loves it and does something just about everyday with it and she does not. She has a tracfone and has been wanting a data card but then again I don't know to much about the tracfone data cards and if she would even benefit from it. Other than money, I am stumped. I've thought about signing her up for an exercise class but that is going to get expensive every month and she's not working right now plus youngest DD won't be to happy if she finds out that an exercise class is costing more than her bike.

I have an 18 yr old and I'm stumped as to what to get her for Christmas.. We usually get both DD's 1 big item, clothes, usually a pair of shoes or boots and stocking stuffers.. My youngest DD is wanting a bigger bicycle this year and I have got to come up with something that I can get my 18 yr old. I keep asking to get ideas but she can't really think of anything other than the main thing is a fitbit. I've read reviews on QVC or HSN and the reviews aren't great. Also I'm not sure after she gets it how much she will actually like it herself and feel jipped although they are expensive. She has a Silhouette Cameo she got with some of her graduation money and I've asked her if she would like something to use with it since she loves it and does something just about everyday with it and she does not. She has a tracfone and has been wanting a data card but then again I don't know to much about the tracfone data cards and if she would even benefit from it. Other than money, I am stumped. I've thought about signing her up for an exercise class but that is going to get expensive every month and she's not working right now plus youngest DD won't be to happy if she finds out that an exercise class is costing more than her bike.

I don't know how much the bike is but a fitbit flex is pretty cheap- less than 100.00. My 15 year old has some clothes on her list , a futon, and I am surprising her with a new iphone (hers is just a iphone 4S so its been awhile since she has a new one). How about getting her an iphone?
You can sign her up at the gym and its less than 15.00 a month.

Without knowing much about her personality, I would say a camera, a nice handbag/backpack, a watch, the exercise class sounds great if you get a deal through groupon, social living..... Or may a ticket to a play.

Good luck:santa:

I have the same problem with my 18 yr old DD. It's like at this point they have everything, lol. She's getting a new iPhone because I just can't think of anything else and she's not giving me any fresh ideas.

Some thoughts:
Check your gym for yearly memberships. My DD bought a year for $156. No bells and whistles, just the membership.

I went sentimental for her birthday and bought a matted print of the Disneyland Castle. Michael's actually had the right size frame for it. Then I bought one of those collage frames for 5x7's and filled it with some of her favorite Disney moments. (Her and Peter Pan, a Family pic, Castle Fireworks, Grad Night etc) She has hinted she'd like another to go on the other side of the print. Michael's always has buy one get one 50% off and 20-25% off entire order which makes this a very affordable gift.

I have a very basic FitBit that I love but honestly I think it's something a teen would get bored with pretty quick.

A blue tooth speaker was also a huge hit on her birthday. This of course would be dependent on if she has something to connect it to.

Is she in college or preparing to go next year? What about a tablet? We got DD20 a Surface last year on Black Friday for around $100. She's used it a lot for school as well as in place of her Nook.

If she doesn't have a nice camera I second the PP that suggested that, especially if she doesn't have a phone with a good camera.

If she wants a FitBit that may be the way to go if nothing else works for you. I have the smaller one and love it. Several others I know have the wrist one and use it constantly. If she's fitness minded she would probably use it and enjoy it.

Are there any other hobbies she is in to?

Any chance she'd like a new look in her room? Perhaps a new bed set, a new lamp and rug? (She can then use if going to college next year).

Does she take a lot of pictures and need a way to use them? How about a gift certificate for Snapfish or such, to make photo books?

My DD19 is asking for a pair of western boots (~$165). Last year she got Frye boots as her big item ($290). Is something like that on your DDs wish list? (Get good leather soap and waterproofer to go with them). They'll last forever if her feet have stopped growing.

Thanks for all your replies.. Right now due to limited income she will keep her tracfone. Would love to be able to get her an iphone though but funds aren't there to pay extra for another acct. UNLESS I can talk Cspire into giving me a great deal :) To PP who mentioned new bedding, I didn't put that on my original post but they are both getting new bedding and accessories. I've mentioned to her about a nice camera and she really doesn't care for it.. I guess I will stick to getting her the fitbit or something similar.. Is there any that y'all would recommend over others?
Also she got a new laptop last year and has an ipod.\\
Keep the ideas coming.

Does she style her hair often? Could she use an upgraded flat iron or something? What about jewelry? An e-reader?

You mentioned that your younger DD will get mad if the present you get your older DD is more expensive than her bike. You need to nip that mentality in the bud right now. She needs to understand that sometimes her gifts cost more, sometimes they cost less.

idk how much the bike will cost for the younger DD, but if you have a Planet Fitness Gym in town, that is only $10 a month and you can go as many times as long as you want. My suggestion is to buy you older DD as many months as your younger DD's bike. Or buy as many as you want for DD and tell the younger DD, love isn't measured by dollars and that they are loved equally.

Does she cook? DD got a Kitchenaid mixer last year that has gotten a lot of use. Don't have any decent ideas for her this year..

I hate to waste money on things kids may not even enjoy / use just to give them something at Christmas. I'd go to the bank, get a bunch of $2 bill ($100 or $200 worth, however much you want to give her), write a cute little card that says gift certificate for .... backed by the United State of American Government, spend a little money of a cute box, and wrap it up as a very nice package. I hate giving gift cards too. It's unbelievable how many never get used. If you think of something closer to Christmas, great.

Something like this will be the main present for my 19 year old son this year. He already has the new iPhone (spent his own money) and we bought him a car this year too (not for his birthday or anything -- just because it was time to replace the Honda Minivan with 165,000 mile that was 11 years old that he was driving. It needed some work and our plan was to only keep it for 10 years or so.) // I am getting him one photography DVD from National Geographic -- he's studying photography in school. I also might get him some of his favorite chocolate covered almonds. But I refuse this year to get anything that I'm not sure that he'll use or want. Like most relatives in our family too, he really has everything he needs / wants that we'd want to give him.

Call me the Christmas Scrooge -- but I'm totally not into buying things for buyings sake.

Luggage?
Something for her "hope chest" (lol you can tell I am old) but something for when she is on her own. Towels, dishes etc...

My 19 y.o is getting a garment bag from Scout, possibly a make up bag as well.

I have been getting "experiences" for my hubby for the last few years for christmas, things like a jet boat trip down the Niagara Gorge and CN Tower Edgewalk certificates(things in our area). Those may be a bit extreme but perhaps there is something local and interesting you can find on Groupon like horse back riding or an art class or cooking class.

My girls are getting Alex and Ani bracelets, a luxury perfume set, Samantha Grace bag for travel, and gift cards to chipolte, jimmy johns, cvs and target. (All,of these store are nearby their college campus.). Their big gift is the 64 gig iPhone 6.

Regarding the TracFone Data card, does she have an android phone? According to the website, the data cards are only for android (so won't work for iphone). I am guessing that the reason she wants one is because she is running out of bits.

DD16 has a tracfone but usually runs out of talk minutes. We have triple minutes on her phone so when I refill, she receives 600 talk, 600 text and 600 MB for the 200 card. All of their minutes roll over each month. DD has great access to wifi most places so her data usage is very low and the rollover amount is high.

From the tracfone website, 2GB is $50, 750MB is $20 and 300MB $10.

I agree that as the kids get older,it seems that they have enough "stuff." Last year, I adopted animals at the zoo and gave each of them a stuffed animal of the animal for their bed. They were all happy to give to a charity in their name. DS20 got a river otter; DD a tiger...

Again thanks for all the ideas.. PP, We've always spent the same amount of money on each one. Now sometimes I have had to get the youngest more items to compensate for the extra cost of 1 item of the oldest. But spending more money on 1 we've never done. They are both getting new luggage too. Now my youngest isn't into makeup/jewelry etc and oldest is so that could be an extra item I could get the oldest is an extra piece of luggage to hold her makeup. She has a curling iron and flat iron and she thinks she may want some hot rollers.
On the tracfone, she isn't a big talker hence why she still has a tracfone and too right now I don't have the extra funds to be paying an extra monthly phone bill. She doesn't text much either. Only reason she was wanting a tracfone data card so when she was out at different places that didn't have wifi she would have it with the data card. She doesn't have her own car yet either and again right now that won't be anytime soon since I just had to get a new car myself with my old car going dead just about everytime we went somewhere.

My daughter is almost 18 and has asked for gifts focused on living on her own when she graduates. IKEA gift card, Tupperware, kitchenware, towels, sheets, etc. Weve given her a couple of big rubber tubs and she is thrilled to fill them with items she's collecting for when she is independent-so new stuff, plus I've given her extra kitchen items when I've cleaned stuff out. Last year, I pulled together a family recipe book-asked everyone for their best recipes-and she's loved that. Some of the stuff is whimsical-ornaments for her own tree, scented candles, etc.

I would get the Fitbit. It's what she asked for and it would give her something to GET on Christmas that she can at least "play' with a bit. My mom was so into spending the exact same amount on each child, in-law and grandchild. She was generous but it almost got ridiculous. When the kids were little, it was important to have the same number of gifts, so she would keep buying to even up and spent tons of money on too much stuff. We have a 8 year old and a 22 year old so we were smart enough to never start that. It all evens out 20 years from now, but for now, DS22 just cost more money. When DS8 was really little, he could get 10 things he really wanted for the cost of one of DS22. We tried to be sure the little guy had at least as many packages to open as the other one, most of the time he had a ton more, and let it go. This year the 22 year is getting a new ipad air 2, and the little guy is not getting one. No way am I going to try to buy 600 worth of toys to make up for it. We will get several things he wants, and call it good, knowing that he will get more expensive items as he gets older. We might put his name on the family trip to Great Wolf Lodge we are getting , but everyone will go so, it's really no big deal.

Cash... wrapped in a cute box.. equal to cost of the bike.. this way your not wasting money. and she can buy what she wants. That's what my 15 yr. old daughter wants..straight up cash

Nice quality facial cleansing brush. I couldn't afford a clairsonic but bought different brand through Amazon by Toiletree with some dermologic facial cleanser and she loved that. This year since she does alot of school trips for band etc. I am giving her a nice hanging toiletry bag already stocked with travel size products and items she needs for trips. This will go with a matching suitcase. I figure they are items she will use for a long time and my dd likes to be organized. In addition she will be getting some nerdy tshirts she likes about Doctor Who and Pi . She is a proud math geek.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter