Christmas gift for first girlfriend

Thank you

Y"all have tapped into my dilema.....to me some jewerly is for a more serious relationship, but at the same time its about giving her something nice and in high school....something that she can proudly say he gave her.

My first boyfriend bought me the ugliest sweater.....I wore it once or twice. Poor guy. The next year is was the teeny tiniest diamond necklace....which I still have 25 yrs later;)

If he chooses jewelry I'd tell him to stay away from diamonds or any other gemstone or heart shaped jewelry. A simple pair of silver hoop earrings, an initial pendant, or a charm bracelet says "girlfriend" without being too serious.

I forget what age your ds is but I saw another thread about what to give and there were alot of people who suggested a stuffed animal sprayed with his cologne.

I'll give another suggestion - How about a sweatshirt or t-shirt with their school colors/emblem on it? My HS used to sell them in the bookstore. Especially if she's athletic OR attends football games, etc - this might be a good option. If she's a coffee drinker, a portable coffee cup with school name on it.

A nice scarf could be an option.

Something for one of her hobbies....Does she take a lot of pictures? How about a scrapbook set (one of the mini ones that come with stickers/embellishments)? Could get one that says 'SENIOR YEAR' or something on it to give it to her for next year.

Or, I'm going to go for something old fashioned here, but I'm sure there's a new spin on it. How about a bunch of downloaded songs from her favorite groups to put on her ipod? Used to be a 'mix tape'?? :)

I agree with no jewelry, especially if it is a "hanging out but no real dates" relationship. Jewelry sends a definite message.
I like the scarf suggestion. Girls around here are really into them right now. BBW baskets are nice but a little overdone, plus not everyone is into the scent thing.

with 3 teenage girls ( w/ boyfriends 2 are firsts) and 1 15 yr old son. here are my 3 cents. No to the jewelry and no to the BBW basket. The jewelry because if they should break up, she might be in a quandry should she give it back . And no to the BBW basket because she might not like the scent. Condition being if he doesn't know what she likes. However... if they happen to be touring the mall and they go in there and she is picking up scents and oooh or aaahing over a certain one... then go for it.
Me i like the scarf idea along with some chocolates or maybe a stuffed animal holding a movie and a cute mug with some hot chocolate mix and sweets.
And my next suggestion is something home made.. does he by any chance make anything? cook? work with wood?

Hmmm....gifts from bfs that were sweet and memorable.

- stuffed toy - maybe a gift certificate to Build a Bear and go there together?

- keychain, accessories for her cellphone

- jewelry like what has been suggested. I remember one bf heard me say I really wanted a bracelet and he bought me one. I still remember to this day how sweet it was because it showed me he was listening to me.

- a cute little wallet? Vera Bradley?

- a pretty watch

when we were dating DH gave me a betta. It was super sweet particularly because we had an inside story about bettas.

No to the BBW basket - too impersonal. Jewelry is nice but fraught with problems - I would stick to something simple like silver hoops or a bangle.

I remember my HS boyfriend putting together literally a basket of things he knew I liked (my favorite candy, some magazines, a couple of books) and some things HE liked that he wanted me to get to know (his favorite books and CDs.) That was cool and doesn't have to be expensive.

Oh, and a mixed CD. DEFINITELY tell him to burn her a CD.

I'm in my early twenties and some of the best gifts me and my friends BF's got us in high school were Build-A-Bears. Teenage girls love the thought of their boyfriend going into a child's store and building a bear for them. I think it probably had something to do with the fact that even though they were embarrassed to be seen in that store, they still did it for us.

If she's a coffee drinker, maybe a travel mug and a Starbucks card? I used to take an insulated mug with me to school every morning. I definitely agree with whoever said a mix CD! I still listen to old ones from HS and it takes me back. :)

I vote no on the Bath and Body Works stuff unless he knows a particular scent she likes. Even then, I'm normally stocked up on all of my bath/body products.
Jewelry is a gray area. I'd probably stay away from it because I know I am too picky and he might get her something she doesn't really like.

oooooh! A mix tape! That's so 80s! I still have one my boyfriend (now DH) made for me in high school. It won't really play, but you can read the list of songs he wrote on the cover.

I vote against jewelry. I grew up with friends who had wise parents that put the kabosh on taking jewelry from boys/men. There's too much significance and perceived value associated with jewelry. Plus, if they break up, the jewelry brings up uncomfortable memories and they end up either leaving it in a box, giving it away, or returning it to be useless. Your son can't regift a piece of jewelry that he bought for his first girlfriend. Holiday or plain earrings would be okay, but not a necklace or fancy pieces with stones. Definitely, no rings.

Tickets to an event, a mix-CD, a goodie basket or something for her hobby/sport would be good too.

Maybe I'm weird, but when I was in high school, I grooved on the personal gifts, not so much the "gifty" gifts. I know kids today don't do mix tapes anymore, but he could make her a CD of songs that remind him of her and she could rip it to her computer, iPhone, whatever. That and a pretty flower would have seemed very romantic to me back in the day. :)

No clothes, though. One time a guy I was dating bought me a sweater. It was too small, and he always asked me why I never wore it. Of course there was no way I was going to admit it was too small...

He is in a band and she had been to his gigs and has their CD.
He already has made her a few mixed CDs.

They are both in Marching Band together, although the season is over. Would a necklace from Music & Arts with a clarinet on it be appropriate?

A link to Disney.....band is going there in March. My son will not be going, but she is going as a gift from her grandma. I think that might open up some more ideas?

I remember my HS boyfriend putting together literally a basket of things he knew I liked (my favorite candy, some magazines, a couple of books) and some things HE liked that he wanted me to get to know (his favorite books and CDs.) That was cool and doesn't have to be expensive.

I think this is perfect!

To me, the BBW basket is actually a little too intimate. Body soap, lotion, lipstick, etc. might not go over too well with the girl's parents. That's something my DD's/BFF's teenagers and their (girl) friends exchange, not BF/GF. Just my take on it.

Phone/iPod accessories would be another option for him - a new case, a screen protector, a little bling hanger, a gift card, etc.

He could ask her parents if they're giving their DD a special gift, like a game console or sports/dance equipment and ask for suggestions on what she might like. I know there are a ton of items that I wouldn't buy my DDs, but I would buy the core item and our family would add onto it with smaller gifts.

He is in a band and she had been to his gigs and has their CD.
He already has made her a few mixed CDs.

They are both in Marching Band together, although the season is over. Would a necklace from Music & Arts with a clarinet on it be appropriate?

A link to Disney.....band is going there in March. My son will not be going, but she is going as a gift from her grandma. I think that might open up some more ideas?

I think the clarinet necklace idea is perfect! It's a link to an activity they share which makes it just that much more special.

a necklace. My DD's first BF gave her a sterling silver necklace with her initial on it. It was special (and is) to her. They are not together but are great friends and she still wears the necklace.

I just asked my DD (age 20). She suggested a movie basket. Either two movie passes with a gift card for popcorn or a basket with a DVD, microwave pocorn and candy.

Penny

My son did a high school hat and gloves and a picture frame. His girlfriend at that time gave him the exact same thing!

Is she the junior? In that case any kind of high school wear would work.

I say no to jewelry. It is personal and he could pick out something she really doesn't like.

I guess I'm glad ds gf told him what she wants, now to choose whats in budget. She wants a decorative scarf and shirt from rue 21, hes like what is a decorative scarf :confused3 guess i get to go shopping with him. And after I bought dd a vera bradley bookbag he tells me she wants one so now I'm watching for sales.

I think the music necklace is perfect too! :thumbsup2 My DD would love to get that from a friend boy or girl.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter