Christmas Gifts for Teachers/Staff

DD13 is in 7th grade and has six different teachers. Last year I found a great deal at Carspn's for buy one get one half off on small boxes of Godiva chocolate covered pretzels. I put a $10 Target gift card on each box. Teachers loved it, plus the small size made it easy for DD to give to the teacher without feeling self conscious about doing it.

Totally doing the same thing this year.

littlele said:
Be careful on the wine/beer-our school district does not allow it on school property at all, so it would put everyone in an uncomfortable position if your districts policy is similar.

I work for a private preschool so there's no rule on that. I put it in a locked closet till I can get it to my car.

I hope I didn't seem like I wasn't grateful in my earlier post for every gift card even if I can't use them. I just feel bad that people spend money on gifts I don't use.

My kids are in daycare/preschool and have 6 teachers each (throughout the day), for a total of 12 to buy for.

To keep costs down, I've been collecting cheap and free items from couponing at CVS over the past few months (revlon nail clippers, aveeno moisturizer, lumene eye makeup remover, kiss my face facial bars, nivea hand creme, etc) and plan on putting them in stockings that I also got from CVS ($1.99/each) for each teacher. Planning on stocking up on more stocking stuffer type items over the next few weeks to add in as well!

I’m always so appreciative of any kind of gift. I never expect it so when kids stop by my office to give me something I’m always surprised and my heart just melts.

While I do love a gift card (those $5 ones are great for getting a free drink or pastry at your favorite coffee shop!), the ones I remember the most are when kids simply write me an honest, heartfelt letter.

I have every letter every student has ever written to me. They are always so touching, no matter what is said. Sometimes there are days where I wonder if teaching is worth it. It’s so easy to burn out and look at other alternative professions throughout our careers. Then a kid walks in with a hand-written note and I remember why I teach.

To know I’m making an impact is the greatest gift of teaching.

(but also small gift cards are totally amazing and cool too lol)

We did Pals bucks this year. They were super cute and reminded me of Disney Dollars. Four main teachers and the music teacher all got $10 in a card.

One of my all time favorite things to receive from students for Christmas is a homemade cookie plate lol. Ask any teacher and we'll readily admit that we love snacks...at least this teacher does! Anyways, any heartfelt gesture from a student makes my heart smile regardless of what the gift/card says. I'm a high school teacher so when I do receive a gift/card, I'm always thankful the student/family took time out to do something nice for me.

Yes, to a thank you note. No to candles and lotions. :) gift cards are always good and don't forget to give high school teachers gifts..I am a high school teacher and it seems like gift giving stops after kids leave elementary school. I am not saying I want gifts from all my students, but when I write letters of recommendations, help with college essays, I really like a nice thank you note!

I work in a school and we have very generous parents. We love when we receive gift cards and I feel badly admitting this, many families sent in sweets. I am the office manager and I would take anything homemade and put in the trash (germs) and any candy/sweets mostly was thrown away as well. We all are watching our weight and several have health issues/allergies, and this is just easier on everyone. Even if the candy is new and wrapped, just too much temptation. It is a huge waste every year.

I too am a teacher and love when I get letters and notes. Sometimes students have more than 5 teachers and it can get expensive even with small coffee gift cards. I am with the other poster about homemade treats. Other ideas that are inexpensive are paper mate pens (small package) or even a mechanical pencil (2 packs usually around $1.99 to $2.99 at Walmart or Target. But a nice card is so nice, I put on my wall next to my desk and I leave all year round.

This thread was opened from 2012 to promote someone’s business. Isn’t that against the rules on this board?
Oh, I missed the business promotion, must have been deleted already?! I do love a good zombie thread:)

Not a teacher here, but one of my nephews is and I agree with him that he throws away all homemade food gifts. While it may be a nice thought, no way would I eat anything from people I'm not familiar with, even prepandemic.

How much do you spend on average for your child's school teacher? If there is an aide in the class do you spend the same on her as the teacher? Do you buy gifts for any other school staff members... Principal, are teacher, music teacher, etc?

I'm late to the party on this, and I didn't read all the other responses but I can tell you what my DH would like.

1. To be thanked. A handwritten note or an email saying thank you is worth more to him than any physical gift. He saves them and looks at them when days are bad--and there are a lot of bad days right now.
2. To be recognized. He is a high school teacher. No one gives gifts or sends things in for the high school teachers. I understand. There are too many of them. But they work just as hard--or harder I might say sometimes than the incredibly hard working classroom teachers. After all, they are dealing with teenagers here. Not sweet smelling fresh faced 3rd graders. (no disrespect at all to the wonderful elementary school teachers. Just a different job than teaching HS)
3. If you want to give a physical git, make it a gift card. A coffee card for a treat on the way home from school, a card for Barnes and Noble or a local bookstore. Most teachers are lifelong learners and would love to buy a book they would enjoy or something they would use to teach. Finally, a stash of things for the classroom. The tax cuts our current administration put through took away the $400 credit for teacher supplies. We generally spend about $1200 a year buying pencils, notebooks, antibacterial wipes, paper towels and bleach sprays, hand sanitizer and tissues. This year is different of course, but he's still at school for much of the time and these items are still needed. There are still so many students who don't have the basic supplies they need to succeed. This isn't an inner city neighborhood. This is a lower middle class town he teaches in, and so many kids cannot supply their own needs.

Thanks for hearing me, Even if I'm late to the party.

I still have appreciation notes that my students wrote to me nearly 20 years ago; they are still my treasures.

I have gotten countless mugs and candles, but I couldn't tell you what has become of them.

My favorite gifts, aside from the sweet notes, are gift cards because I can use them and enjoy them, but there is no clutter in my classroom or home.

For my own children's teachers, I try to get them a gift card and pair it with some type of small gift. It's usually a gift card (larger amount if it is only one teacher; smaller amount if there are several) taped to something like a bottle of hand soap from Bath and Body Works since I figure everyone uses soap.
This year, I did make homemade items to pair with the gift cards since I know the teachers.

Although I don't usually send gifts to administrators, I sent a small gift to the principal and assistant principal at my older child's school since they went above and beyond to help her earlier this school year.

I work in a school and we have very generous parents. We love when we receive gift cards and I feel badly admitting this, many families sent in sweets. I am the office manager and I would take anything homemade and put in the trash (germs) and any candy/sweets mostly was thrown away as well. We all are watching our weight and several have health issues/allergies, and this is just easier on everyone. Even if the candy is new and wrapped, just too much temptation. It is a huge waste every year.
Instead of throwing it out, why not donate new, commercially wrapped things to a food bank? They probably don't get a lot of treats donated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter