Christmas Ideas for Teenage Girls?

My DD is 17, and will also be going off to college next year. She is all about dorm stuff right now...one of the things she wants now - an electric tea-kettle. Bed Bath and Beyond GC's too - that way she can pick out the things she specifically wants (shower caddy, storage etc)

My DD also has a theory - getting a GC is like getting 2 presents. You get the GC at Christmas, your birthday etc. And then...you get to spend it too!

Since you mentioned scarves and earrings - If you do decide to go with gift cards, consider places like Forever 21, Rue 21, Charlotte Russe, or Charming Charlie. With a $25 gift card to any of those places they could get 3-4 different accessories. If they have a Charming Charlie nearby, they could honestly spend an entire afternoon in there shopping and have a blast.

My dd asked for GCs 2 Christmas's ago from my dad. I explained she wouldn't get gifts from him, just cards. We went to the mall the next week on a Tuesday night and it was not crowded. She had so much fun spending her cards on things she was able to pick out. Plus all the stores had sales. She walked out carrying LOTS of bags and she looked at me and said, "mama, I feel like a rock star walking out with all these bags". She has asked for GCs from him ever since. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having free money to spend after Christmas at the sales! We are all so blessed and most people have almost everything they need or want and GCs are perfect so you can get just waht you want.

Oh, gift cards to have nails done is great too!

My dd asked for GCs 2 Christmas's ago from my dad. I explained she wouldn't get gifts from him, just cards. We went to the mall the next week on a Tuesday night and it was not crowded. She had so much fun spending her cards on things she was able to pick out. Plus all the stores had sales. She walked out carrying LOTS of bags and she looked at me and said, "mama, I feel like a rock star walking out with all these bags". She has asked for GCs from him ever since. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having free money to spend after Christmas at the sales! We are all so blessed and most people have almost everything they need or want and GCs are perfect so you can get just waht you want.

Oh, gift cards to have nails done is great too!

:thumbsup2 I agree; Dd loves using gift cards to shop after Christmas sales :).

I have a 14 yr old dd and it is no longer fun shopping with or for her-loL! She has very personal, specific taste and I prefer she pick out what she wants- and having different gift cards allow her to spend time with her gfs and have fun! It also doesn't kill my budget everytime she asks to go to the mall with one of her friends-I don't have to give her spending money- she has all kinds of gift cards. I can buy small things like an aero t shirt or sleep pants because I have general ideas of her tastes.

op- I would try to personalize the packaging rather than the gift! Give the gift card but put it in an inexpensive accessory so that you feel you are giving it personal attention.

Pinterest is my best friend. Have you looked there?

http://laurathoughts81.blogspot.com/2011/03/make-up-magnet-board.html

I adore this idea and my younger niece is making it for her older teen sister. Add some inexpensive make-up and a pack of magnets and I think this is a great gift!

*** I wanted to add that if you don't want to do the frame and metal use a cookie sheet and either paint it or just glue some fabric on.

I'm totally loving this idea! Thanks so much for sharing!

My neice is 15. I got her a pillow from Bed Bath and Beyond. I couldn't find it on thier website but it was in a current ad. It plugs into your ipod and the music comes through her pillow. She's always falling asleep with ear buds in so I figured this was something different that she was not expecting. It was 29 but I had coupons and brought it down to 25. We also got her the mini flip video camera there too. It was also 29 then with the coupon 25. I'm sure its not great quality but they are kids and things do not last forever.

She's also into funky socks, and jewelry. Loves scarves from AE. She also loves her Vera Bradley wristlet. I'll have to see if I can find it but its small, perfect size. She just throws it in and out of her bag.

DD16 asks for gift cards because the things she wants tend to be too expensive to ask an aunt or whatever to buy - a video game is $50, and there's no way she can ask for that - we spend $20-25 on kids in our family.

This year she got two $20 Best Buy gift cards and bought a very nice computer bag for $35 with it. Neither aunt would have bought the bag, but together, she was able to get something she really wanted/needed.

My dad has just given up and any kids over 8 or 9 just get cash from him. The teenagers are thrilled. ;)

My neice is 15. I got her a pillow from Bed Bath and Beyond. I couldn't find it on thier website but it was in a current ad. It plugs into your ipod and the music comes through her pillow. She's always falling asleep with ear buds in so I figured this was something different that she was not expecting. It was 29 but I had coupons and brought it down to 25. We also got her the mini flip video camera there too. It was also 29 then with the coupon 25. I'm sure its not great quality but they are kids and things do not last forever.

She's also into funky socks, and jewelry. Loves scarves from AE. She also loves her Vera Bradley wristlet. I'll have to see if I can find it but its small, perfect size. She just throws it in and out of her bag.

Thank You! I just suggested this to my brother as a gift for my DD. I saw them in an ad before but had forgotten all about them. This is a perfect gift for her!!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17364316

Unless I know specifically what they want, I usually give kids cash. I don't like gift cards because they tend to get misplaced, or they might not want to use the full amount at one store, etc.

Cash is not impersonal. Impersonal is getting a gift for someone that you think is right, not what they really want.

People. love. cash. It always fits. :woohoo:

I'm in agreement with the "no gift cards" theory. It is impersonal. A "real gift" shows that you thought about the girl and chose something just for her.

Teenage girls aren't hard to please -- I have two at my house, and I buy for several more in addition:

You can't go wrong with simple earrings, and they're easy to choose -- silver is still more popular than gold.
Scarves are all the rage, and -- again -- you can't go wrong. You can get a heavy warm scarf, or a lightweight fashionable scarf -- either is popular with teens. Target has nice choices for reasonable prices.
Several other people mentioned crazy socks; mis-matched socks are "a thing" with teens righ now. Knee socks are more popular than short socks.
Hoodie sweatshirts and cardigan sweaters are popular, and they're so simple that you can't go wrong.
PJs are always nice; and if you're feeling unsure about colors, they're less intimidating because they're only worn in the house.
Fancy lotions and shampoos from Bath & Body Works. I see LOTS of those items friend-gifted among the high schoolers.
Fancy pencils and notepads, a new calendar for the upcoming year, or other "nicer" office supplies. Not stationary; teens don't write letters.
Many teens are very environmentally conscious; a re-usable water bottle would be nice, and that's something people don't mind having in duplicate. Fill it with candy. Likewise, Tervis Tumblers are big favorites, as are travel coffee mugs.

My 17-year old wants college stuff more than anything else right now. She's getting her college laptop and some accessories to go with it, some inexpensive dishware, and . . . seems like something else, but I can't remember. I wouldn't get bedsheets; that's something that's very "visible" and she'd likely prefer to pick that herself. But towels, an alarm clock/ipod charger, a sweatshirt with her college name -- those things'd be welcome. She just bought herself a lap desk a few weeks ago, but that'd be nice for a college-bound student. Or one of those big body-pillows; she could use it now at home, then later take it to college.

For those who insist upon gift cards, choose carefully. Last Christmas my daughter received a Walmart gas card from a well-intentioned but clueless family member. The closest Walmart that sells gas is 30 miles away. I "bought" the card from her, and I still haven't used it. Also, both my girls still have the movie gift cards they received last Christmas; they've been to the movies a couple times, but either they've met friends at the wrong theater or they were someone's guest. They never seem to jump right on spending their gift cards.

Check out the company Little Mismatched (they have a store at Downtown Disney as well as online). Company sells tons of really cute, colorful "mismatched" socks that supposedly are all the rage now with preteen & teenage girls.

Love all their stuff... unfortunately I don't have a teenage girl to buy for, lol.

I love this idea. Candy is always appreciated by almost everyone. esp chocolate imo.

I'm in agreement with the "no gift cards" theory. It is impersonal. A "real gift" shows that you thought about the girl and chose something just for her.

Teenage girls aren't hard to please -- I have two at my house, and I buy for several more in addition:

You can't go wrong with simple earrings, and they're easy to choose -- silver is still more popular than gold.
Scarves are all the rage, and -- again -- you can't go wrong. You can get a heavy warm scarf, or a lightweight fashionable scarf -- either is popular with teens. Target has nice choices for reasonable prices.
Several other people mentioned crazy socks; mis-matched socks are "a thing" with teens righ now. Knee socks are more popular than short socks.
Hoodie sweatshirts and cardigan sweaters are popular, and they're so simple that you can't go wrong.
PJs are always nice; and if you're feeling unsure about colors, they're less intimidating because they're only worn in the house.
Fancy lotions and shampoos from Bath & Body Works. I see LOTS of those items friend-gifted among the high schoolers.
Fancy pencils and notepads, a new calendar for the upcoming year, or other "nicer" office supplies. Not stationary; teens don't write letters.
Many teens are very environmentally conscious; a re-usable water bottle would be nice, and that's something people don't mind having in duplicate. Fill it with candy. Likewise, Tervis Tumblers are big favorites, as are travel coffee mugs.

My 17-year old wants college stuff more than anything else right now. She's getting her college laptop and some accessories to go with it, some inexpensive dishware, and . . . seems like something else, but I can't remember. I wouldn't get bedsheets; that's something that's very "visible" and she'd likely prefer to pick that herself. But towels, an alarm clock/ipod charger, a sweatshirt with her college name -- those things'd be welcome. She just bought herself a lap desk a few weeks ago, but that'd be nice for a college-bound student. Or one of those big body-pillows; she could use it now at home, then later take it to college.

For those who insist upon gift cards, choose carefully. Last Christmas my daughter received a Walmart gas card from a well-intentioned but clueless family member. The closest Walmart that sells gas is 30 miles away. I "bought" the card from her, and I still haven't used it. Also, both my girls still have the movie gift cards they received last Christmas; they've been to the movies a couple times, but either they've met friends at the wrong theater or they were someone's guest. They never seem to jump right on spending their gift cards.

I think any gift can be impersonal. The person that bought your teens gift cards from a gas station 30 miles away didn't put much thought or effort into the gift which screams impersonal.

On the other hand, buying a scarf or earrings for a teen that doesn't wear those types of things is just as impersonal. Not every teen is into mismatched socks or scarves. They make great gifts if you know the teen will wear them. If they don't like that type of thing, it is just as impersonal as a useless gas card.

In the case of the OP, the teens have specifically asked for gift cards. If the poster gets the teen exactly what they want and something they will most certainly use, I can't see how that would be considered impersonal.

My neice is 15. I got her a pillow from Bed Bath and Beyond. I couldn't find it on thier website but it was in a current ad. It plugs into your ipod and the music comes through her pillow. She's always falling asleep with ear buds in so I figured this was something different that she was not expecting. It was 29 but I had coupons and brought it down to 25.

I need to remind myself...I am done shopping for DD...I am done shopping for DD...I am done shopping for DD.

That pillow looks so cool! She may need one before college next fall...but I am done Christmas shopping for DD.

I would give cash or the gift cards. Not all teens have the same taste. What one teen might see as a must have item. Another teen might think that is something their Grandmother would like:lmao:.

OP if you do give an actual item. Please give a gift receipt. When I spend my hard earned money, I would like the recipient to use, like or actually want the item. Many of times I hear of parents donating the "awful" (brand new) items that their child does not want and they have no way of exchanging it for something else.

Good luck in what ever you decide.

College hoodies to their colleges of choice are good. Other than that, I would not try to pick out clothes unless you know the teen very, very well but as someone else said, I know my 17 year old very well and I generally do NOT pick out clothes for her. This year she is getting two college hoodies (it was going to be one but Finish Line had one college hoodie for $50 or two for $40 so she's getting two) and a pair of yoga pants that she specifically pointed out to me and that's it as far as clothes.

Feather earrings and feather clips for the hair are popular among the teen girl set. Scarves or texting gloves are also good (but my daughter is picky about her scarves). Sleep pants would be okay. Toms shoes and moccasins are popular here (but, again, these are probably too taste-specific to pick out unless you know which ones the teen wants). A bottle of their favorite perfume would also be nice but only if you know for sure what their favorite scent is.

Honestly, gift cards and especially cash are best for teens unless you know them well. A lot of teens have little to no money of their own so giving them a bit of spending money or a gift card IS a thoughtful, personal gift for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter