• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Christmas ideas for those that have everything and..

Blondy876

<br><font color="Blue">The Tag Fairy stopped by to
who can buy better things than you could afford anyway. My father is a Chemist and makes a lot of $$$. So whenever he buys soemthing he always buys the best. And he buys whatever he wants whenever he wants it. It makes coming up with a great gift very difficult. Last year I got him a gc to the theater and he loved it. But I have no ideas for this year.

Something he wouldn't think to do himself: maybe frame an important photo/document, make a scrapbook, a CD Slide show?

Monogram something he might not think of - what are his hobbies?

My step-father is hard to buy for too...I usually get him some gc's to a video store 'cause he loves to watch movies...but that gets old...

About 10 years ago I started my own "tradition" for him...he inherited a coin collection from his father, but has never really added to it...so I started buying him 100 year old Silver dollars.

Maybe you can find something that is collectible that he would like as well.

My dad is a retired Chemist too. He likes to garden and cook so we usually get him gift certificates for Williams Sonoma or the local gardening store. Yes, he could buy what ever he wanted for himself, but he has fun going through the catalogs and picking things out.

What about a donation to his favorite charity? I did that for my parents several years ago. Their church was doing a fundraising campaign to get a pipe organ - which my parents really were interested in.

I like to make baskets with gourmet breads and candies. I give them out a little before Christmas so that the recipients can use them when entertaining if they don't want to eat all the stuff themselves. I wrap all of the things in the baskets creatively, and makes a good presentation.

Another thing I like to do for people who have everything is to get them lots of small things and put them in different sized boxes stacked up like a Christmas tree. You can put a candle in one, an ornament in another, chocolate in one, etc. I like to put something personal that I know they'll enjoy, like golf balls or the latest kitchen gadget, in at least one or two of the boxes.

My parents also have everything they want and can afford to buy better quality than I can, so I don't try to get them things that they're going to use every day. I just stick to things that they'll enjoy for a while, and then they'll be gone.

You are describing my brother. He has all he needs or really wants, and has plenty of $ to get anything his heart desires. So, at Christmas and his birthday I always fretted about what should I get him, and will it be an ok gift, etc. I have discovered that he simply wants to be remembered with a thought out gift. He enjoys unwrapping presents, and prefers that we get him something rather than a gc. He feels appreciated by his siblings and loved I guess when we take the time to shop for him and wrap.

I know that he enjoys basketball and has season tickets to the Magic, but I get him the small, silly things, like a new basketball to play with in his driveway. I also like to be creative with his gifts ~ I search e-bay for t-shirts to his old favorite team The NY Nicks, or anything odd from our past.

It is the mystery of unwrapping a gift from me that makes him smile on Christmas day! :smooth:

For people like this, it has to be something from the heart.

I remember reading once that Jacqueline Kennedy always had her children "give" her the same thing for Christmas /birthdays: they memorized a poem for her. The "gift" was reciting it for her on the special day. In reality, she was building a love of culture and art in her children, and seeing that grow within them was her gift.

How about a good book or two -- something that you've read and loved. Or a nice collection of the classics? You don't have to spend a fortune on them. Many book stores have lovely editions for $5.00 ea. Off hand, I'm thinking Barnes and Noble b/c I've seen them there before. How about an autographed or first edition of his favorite book?

How about tickets to a play? Orchestra? Or, does your local university/college have a guest-lecture series? You could get tickets to something that interests him. Our local university has a great "guest lecture" series and has included people like Donald Trump, Colin Powell, Bill Cosby, Katie Couric, etc. He might enjoy something like that -- just contact your local university and ask about it.

I like the idea of the donation to a charity.

The older I get, the more I realize that I have enough "stuff", and that what Christmas is about is helping others.

I gave this as a gift to my SIL last year. Shje didn't like iot, but then agian she hasn't liked nay gift I have given her in the past few years, so at least someone else benefitted from this one. I designed a certificate on the computer stating how much I had given and to what charity and framed it. I thought it came out very nice, and if someone had given me that as a gift, I'd have been thrilled.

I like to make things for those that have everything. My IL's are well off and have everything they need. I embroidered pillow cases and my MIL was over the moon and so tickled that I had made them myself. I've also made homemade foods and scrapbooks. Everyone was touched by the thought and effort behind them. One year, I got my IL's a pillow from Personal Creations with a picture of their four sons when they were young. Another big hit!

I have made certificates for a special day and given these to those I don't know what to buy for them. I set a date right then and there and I make it a point to do things they would enjoy (I even once saw a scary movie, which I thoroughly hated ;) ) I think quality time makes a great gift! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter