Christmas Park Closure Procedures

WDW Mad4Mickey

DIS Veteran
I am heading down to Disney over Christmas. My family and I are Platinum Annual Passholders. For this trip we are not staying on property. In the event that park closure phases go into effect do Annual Passholders automatically able to get into the park?

AP's can get into the park up until the final stage of closures which is when no one is allowed in.

Very rare that the parks get that packed..so if there's any closures it'll likely be just walk ups and single day ticket holders not allowed in

I gotta ask....When the park is that full, how much fun is that? Is it wall to wall people? Huge wait times for rides, food.....except for FP, what is left to do? Is it even worth it?

I gotta ask....When the park is that full, how much fun is that? Is it wall to wall people? Huge wait times for rides, food.....except for FP, what is left to do? Is it even worth it?

Well it's rare for it to be that full..but being that full would be similar to going to MK on NYE. You'd be looking at tons of people all over, quite a few rides with close to 2 hour waits, long lines for food. It definitely wouldn't be a fun day if you don't have it planned out.

This past NYE at Epcot Living with the Land was at a 50 min wait in the early afternoon...as a feeling for how crowded it gets. And I don't think Epcot even hit any type of phased closure on that day. Epcots big enough where it can hold the most people out of all the parks

I am heading down to Disney over Christmas. My family and I are Platinum Annual Passholders. For this trip we are not staying on property. In the event that park closure phases go into effect do Annual Passholders automatically able to get into the park?
Here are the phases
Phase A Closing
No admission of guests with one day tickets, and no admission of guests even with FastPass+ reservations unless they have one of the following:

• WDW Resort Guests, including The Four Seasons Resort, Swan, Dolphin or Shades of Green, Hotel Plaza Boulevard hotels arriving by bus (Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort Hotel, The Buena Vista Palace, DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel, B Resort, Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort, Hilton), Golden Oak residents and guests.
  • WDW Premier Passport, Annual & Premium Passholders
  • Guests with Park Hopper tickets re-entering or crossing over from another WDW Theme Park
  • Guests with Memory Maker
  • Guests with dining reservations
  • Magic Kingdom Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, Harmony Barber Shop or The Pirates League.
Phase B Closing
No admission of guests with one day tickets, and no re-entering or crossing over from another park unless they have one of the following:

• WDW Resort Guests, including The Four Seasons Resort, Swan, Dolphin or Shades of Green, Hotel Plaza Boulevard hotels arriving by bus (Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort Hotel, The Buena Vista Palace, DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel, B Resort, Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort, Hilton), Golden Oak residents and guests.
  • WDW Premier Passport, Annual & Premium Passholders
  • Guests with Memory Maker
  • Magic Kingdom Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, Harmony Barber Shop or The Pirates League.
  • FastPass+ reservations and is a WDW Resort hotel guest.
Phase 1 Park Closing
Guests with 'Magic Your Way' base tickets, or a '1-Day 1-Park Ticket', Guests without an admission ticket, and Cast Members using Main Gate & Silver Passes will be turned around at the parking lot booths.
Phase 2 Park Closing
Admission is limited to:
  • Disney Resort Guests (including the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin, and guests arriving by bus from the Hotel Plaza Boulevard hotels)
  • Annual, Premier and Premium Annual Passholders
  • Guests with Hopper tickets coming from another park
  • Guests re-entering the park
  • Magic Kingdom Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or The Pirates League
  • Guests using Walt Disney World Resort Transportation will be admitted.
  • Guests with pre-purchased 1 day Magic Kingdom tickets
Phase 3 Park Closing
Admission is limited to:
  • Disney Resort Guests (including the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin, and guests arriving by bus from the Hotel Plaza Boulevard hotels)
  • Annual, Premier and Premium Annual Passholders
  • Magic Kingdom Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or The Pirates League
Phase 4 Park Closing
Closed to all guests.

I assume if you are staying off property, you'll be driving to the parks. Once when we were AP holders, MK went to phase 1 closure about an hour before we got there. The back up to enter the parking lot extended back to where the road forks between the MK and Epcot parking lots. It took an hour to get to the parking lot entrance because they had to kindly divert almost everyone to other parks. Even though we were waved through and went to MK, we lost a lot of time getting there. I tell you this because on days when you know it will be super crowded like Christmas, there are many reasons why you're better off just getting to the park early and staying until you're ready to leave. Make an ADR for a late lunch or early dinner, eat at a leisurely pace, and use that time for your rest if you plan to stay late.

So, just to confirm. If we are staying on site, and want to go back to the resort for he afternoon (since we will be arriving at 6:30 am), we can get BACK INTO the park unless it is a class 4 closure?

Not as terrible as you'd think.

We consider ourselves veterans at this point, having been the past 6/7 years and going for our 7th this year.

Main Street is insane. It's everything you'd picture. Last year it was very hot outside and by 2pm, people were getting a little crazy. I saw a woman turn around and slap an old man on an ECV for "hitting her ankle." The problem with MK is that there's so many congested areas, like Main Street and the walkways through Liberty Square. Disney does alleviate this a bit—on NYE they'll open backstage areas (behind Main Street) to help keep traffic moving. There's also a few tricks. Walking through the huge souvenir store all the way to Casey's is a nice way to cool off and avoid the hustle and bustle of Main Street. If you go early, though, you're able to get quite a bit done before the crowds get crazy.

So, just to confirm. If we are staying on site, and want to go back to the resort for he afternoon (since we will be arriving at 6:30 am), we can get BACK INTO the park unless it is a class 4 closure?

Correct. We do this all the time. We go early in the morning the first few days, head back to the hotel around 2pm, then do dinner at 5pm and the park after. Never had a problem. We usually do EPCOT on NYE, when it's the most crowded, and we have never been turned away. Not saying it won't happen, but it hasn't yet.

If you plan to go on Christmas Day, I'd highly suggest getting to MK early. We were in the exact same spot as you last year. Platinum AP holders, staying off site. I honestly don't remember what time we got to MK, but I'm going to guess it was somewhere around 8:30am. Took us a few extra minutes to go through the parking lot entrance, but not terrible. They had trams running back to back to back, so despite the massive flood of people coming in, didn't take us long to get to TTC. From there, CMs were directing us where to go. They put us on a bus. I don't think we waited more than 5 minutes to get on, so again great job on WDW part. In all honesty, the first few hours weren't all that bad. Crowded, sure, but still manageable. We had FP+ already booked, so that went smoothly. We rode a few rides that didn't need FP+, like Stitch, Laugh Floor, etc... I think we waited maybe 15 minutes for each of them. Did a little wandering around just to see the sights and take it in. Ate lunch...we pack our own food and amazingly enough we found a table at Tommorowland Terrace with no problem. After we got up from eating lunch, we noticed how incredibly packed it was. Main Street was just a sea of humanity. MDE showed most rides had very long waits. It was just incredibly crowded. At that point, we decided we'd done what we wanted to do and left (which was an adventure getting down Main Street). But all in all, it was a great day. Spent 4 or 5 hours in MK, got to do rides, got to experience the full WDW Christmas vibe. Can't wait to do it again.

As we left, the line trying to get into the MK parking lot was like nothing I've ever seen. Cars backed up well past the split off to go to Epcot. Insane.

So get there early, be organized, and if you chose to stay later in the day, be prepared to deal with a massive (though festive) crowd.

. We usually do EPCOT on NYE, when it's the most crowded, and we have never been turned away. Not saying it won't happen, but it hasn't yet.
Last time Epcot closed for capacity was NYE 1999
It closed briefly in the morning of NYE 2008 but reopened later

It is not that fun, as a matter of fact it is terrible. We have been over Christmas and the summer and much prefer the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter