Christmas Season and temperature

Dee8197

<font color=indigo>Those blinking rats get me ever
:jumping1: I want to take DS over the Christmas season, any ideas on when is the best time to go ? Also what is the temp like at that time ? Anything below 6 degreesC and my DH has problems. I guess I could book Montanna room at the SL so that DH wouldn't have to leave the building if it was too cold. Of course the DLH would be the ideal location but funds won't run to that.:rolleyes1
DS & his GF want to come with us next year if they have the funds, when does the weather warm up enough to be certain that it will not get as low as 6 degrees C.:cheer2: :cheer2:
Planning is great, but if only it were that easy:confused3
Any advice appreciated

Dee, If you want to avoid coldest temperatures I would advise going right at the beginning of the Christmas season-I think its around the 8th of Nov.

When we went in November and December it was very very cold - colder than anything we get in England, at least down here in the South West. However, once you wrap up and keep going in and out of warm buildings it's fine - the magic of Disney also beats Ready Brek in giving you a warm glow.

I'd advise going after the second level of Christmas season has started (if this is still in place) - when we went the first time the Christmas Market and one of the shows wasn't on yet but around the 4th-6th December they are added and make the whole experience even more enjoyable. The Christmas Market in Disney Village is great for the evenings when the park is closed - lots of little trinkets on sale and some fun foods and drinks to try - the atmopshere is superb.

We stayed in both SL and Cheyenne and as you all know we much prefer the Cheyenne but at this time year we do so even more. We usually spend very little time in the hotel but when the parks close early we tend to head back sooner which is where the Cheyenne really takes over with it's music in the bar most nights which is lots of fun for all the family and provides a really fun and cosy atmosphere.

Within the next week or two I think we'll have booked December 24th-26th in the Cheyenne for this year - Christmas Day in DLRP - wooo hooo!

We've been twice during the Christmas season. Once was middle of December which was excruciatingly cold. Last year however we went end of November and didn't find it that cold at all. Certainly coats were needed but not gloves hat scarves 2 pairs of socks etc until the evening when obviously it gets quite a bit colder.

been reading this thread with interest, love disney and love xmas so really want to go over xmas season this year, DH only has one days hols left so has to be weekend, which I know is not clever with large crowds etc. I have two choices price wise, 18th nov or 16th dec, both at cheyenne, both flying, Dec is £60 cheaper, not much I know but it all adds up!
What would you do? :confused3
I know the december weekend will be sooo busy but I am worried that the november weekend won't be christmassy enough, too early etc, although I know the weather will be better??? :cold: ??? :confused3 we have three almost full days and feel sure with good planning we could get all our favourites done and see all the christmas shows ::MinnieMo or am I wrong!
Any advice please, I am driving myself and all around me mad by changing my mind daily :rolleyes1 and the sooner I book it the better!

sorry Dee8197 for hijacking your thread a liitle bit :flower3:

Dee, we went mid-December last year and, as Steve said, it was colder than anything I've ever experienced in UK - the water at the edges of the lake was frozen and we spent the whole time drinking hot drinks and daring ourselves to go outside again!! We wore thermals and as many layers as possible but were still freezing!! We are going at the beginning of Nov this year. Cyrano went at that time last year and said it was ok - he'll no doubt be able to tell you more. I'm not sure if the Christmas market is on in the village this year??? But it is such a magical time - but definitely go as early as poss in the Christmas season. Also if you go early Nov they are offering free upgrades.

slinky101 said:
been reading this thread with interest, love disney and love xmas so really want to go over xmas season this year, DH only has one days hols left so has to be weekend, which I know is not clever with large crowds etc. I have two choices price wise, 18th nov or 16th dec, both at cheyenne, both flying, Dec is £60 cheaper, not much I know but it all adds up!
What would you do? :confused3
I know the december weekend will be sooo busy but I am worried that the november weekend won't be christmassy enough, too early etc, although I know the weather will be better??? :cold: ??? :confused3 we have three almost full days and feel sure with good planning we could get all our favourites done and see all the christmas shows ::MinnieMo or am I wrong!
Any advice please, I am driving myself and all around me mad by changing my mind daily :rolleyes1 and the sooner I book it the better!

sorry Dee8197 for hijacking your thread a liitle bit :flower3:
You could definitely get it all done in 3 days IF the crowds aren't too bad. At a weekend in Dec you will not be able to get on any rides I promise without a shadow of doubt without at least a wait of 60 mins and you won't be able to find anywhere to eat. If you can manage the extra £60 I wouldn't even contemplate going over a weekend in December. All the Christmas decorations, parades etc will be in full flow in Nov - it will be as Christmassy as in Dec but much much more enjoyable.

When we went from December 7th-12th in 2003 we didn't encounter any kind of crowd problems on any rides - granted we don't go on the thrill rides but th rest of them were fine. We found it nowhere near as busy as the summer months. That said - they were weekdays - are the weekends that much busier? Never been on a weekend except last year whe we left on a Saturday!

thanks diana, so its a vote for november and pay the extra £60 then!!!!! thanks for the advice, I have read your trip reports after i posted on this thread. :scared1:

We went at the beginning of the season, mid November and some days were colder than others.

Definitely needed coats and hats. Have a look at photographs in link. :)

Reid

dlpSteve said:
When we went from December 7th-12th in 2003 we didn't encounter any kind of crowd problems on any rides - granted we don't go on the thrill rides but th rest of them were fine. We found it nowhere near as busy as the summer months. That said - they were weekdays - are the weekends that much busier? Never been on a weekend except last year whe we left on a Saturday!
We arrived on Sat evening last year and Sunday was absolutely horrendous - couldn't get on any rides or get anything to eat - but the rest of our stay from Mon to Thurs was absolutely fine - no problems at all. I think piles of locals go at weekends in December - there was a much higher percentage of French people there at the weekend we noticed.

slinky101 said:
thanks diana, so its a vote for november and pay the extra £60 then!!!!! thanks for the advice, I have read your trip reports after i posted on this thread. :scared1:
Yes, :scared1: sums it up nicely!!! ;)

diberry said:
I think piles of locals go at weekends in December - there was a much higher percentage of French people there at the weekend we noticed.

So would I to get the best of my annual passport. :goodvibes

Reid

Has anyone been over at Christmas itself - with 24th and 25th falling on a Saturday and Sunday this year I'm beginning to think that a trip from 24th-26th may not be as ideal as we first imagined.

Steve

I don't think it matters what day of the week Christmas Day falls on, if it is like WDW it will be PACKED !!! At WDW they close the parks because they reach their full capacity

Steve, we are going 23rd-28th December and have resigned ourselves to the fact that it will be absolutely packed!:crowded: However I did read somewhere that someone said the park becomes very empty Christmas Eve afternoon, we'll have to do all the rides then!!!

It was Renate that mentioned it in one of her posts.

Elaine, I have often wondered how you handle the whole Santa thing when on holiday over Christmas day? Do you try to fit all their presents in the suitcase or buy some when you get there or do you celebrate with presents before you go? What are you planning on doing about this?

Ware Bears said:
Steve, we are going 23rd-28th December and have resigned ourselves to the fact that it will be absolutely packed!:crowded: However I did read somewhere that someone said the park becomes very empty Christmas Eve afternoon, we'll have to do all the rides then!!!

We'd be arriving the afternoon of the 24th - perfect!

I told Denise of my concerns over crowds and she said that waking up in Disney on Christmas morning is the main appeal of the holiday, so I think we'll be booking this weekend. I'm going to get some quotes from some websites we've used in the past and then get quotes from high st travel agents - then book!

When booking on the official DLRP website how do you select transport mode?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter