Christmas season at WDW

roxiepenguin

Mouseketeer
Looking for opinions about visiting in early/ mid December. I'm not worried about crowds (it actually looks like a decent time to go), but, essentially, is it worth the trip? As in, are the parks and resorts that decorated or different and worth exploring?

I only ask because we were just there for 9 days at the end of April, and now DH is ready for 13 days in December. I don't know how much could be different in 8 months! :confused3 (Not that I don't have interest in going, I love Disney.... just wondering.) Thanks! :worship:

All the decorations will be up at the resorts and parks. Christmas parties going on and other special events (do a search hear). Much different than April. 13 days, IMHO, is a bit much after just going in April.

Not sure I'd go for 13 days, but the decorations are very well done especially at the Deluxe Resorts. The lobbies at WL and GF are something you should see at least once.

We used to go the first or second week of December. The parks are all decorated for Christmas and its beautiful. The resorts are all decorated. Each one has a unique gingerbread house as well, Wilderness, GF and Beach Club especially.
Well worth doing. As pp said, not sure I'd spend 2 weeks there.

We used to go the first or second week of December. The parks are all decorated for Christmas and its beautiful. The resorts are all decorated. Each one has a unique gingerbread house as well, Wilderness, GF and Beach Club especially.
Well worth doing. As pp said, not sure I'd spend 2 weeks there.

Thanks for the info!
(13 days would be split with Universal with the bulk being at Disney. We generally like 2 days per park minimum and a couple of days for either hotel browsing, pool time or an extra park day.) Also, being from the PNW, a few extra days of sun during our dark, rainy season is never a bad thing :thumbsup2

We made many early December vacation trips over the years. Most were for 1 week but a couple were 10 days, all spent at Disney. We thought it was a great time to visit. After many December only visits we started making two trips per year, one usually in December. We really enjoy the holiday theming in both the parks and the resorts. And of course the weather is enjoyable as well. Though be prepared for one or two cold mornings. There will be special holiday events throughout the parks, especially Epcot and MK.

That said we probably aren't the best to ask about whether it is worth making two trips in one year. We made that decision years ago. We are now Disney snowbirds. So yes, we think it's worth it.

I love it there in December and it is when we always go. I am excited to see HS with all the Cristmas decorations (TOT projections, JBJB, Gertie). I am excited to see the CP at Epcot and the storytellers around the world and of course the Christmas snacks. We are going to MVMCP for the first time this year. GF, WL are decorated very nicely as well. We are going for 14 days to, and spending 3 at US too. They have the Hogwarts projections, the Whoville Celebration and all the Harry Potter areas decorated. We are from Vancouver BC so I know what you mean about the weather. The flights are expensive so I always go to WDW for 2 weeks. The temperature can be all over the place though. I love Christmas, especially at though when I am at WDW.

I love it there in December and it is when we always go. I am excited to see HS with all the Cristmas decorations (TOT projections, JBJB, Gertie). I am excited to see the CP at Epcot and the storytellers around the world and of course the Christmas snacks. We are going to MVMCP for the first time this year. GF, WL are decorated very nicely as well. We are going for 14 days to, and spending 3 at US too. They have the Hogwarts projections, the Whoville Celebration and all the Harry Potter areas decorated. We are from Vancouver BC so I know what you mean about the weather. The flights are expensive so I always go to WDW for 2 weeks. The temperature can be all over the place though. I love Christmas, especially at though when I am at WDW.

Thanks, Tksolomom; great visuals in your reply! We're also planning the MVMCP as first timers (really enjoyed MNSSHP when we did that) as well as CP. Your post makes me excited to go!

Yes, the flights are pricey and lengthy. Even doing non-stop flights, that's still basically a day of travel once you figure check-in, security, luggage and transportation waits. (We did the overnight non-stop in April; DH isn't in any hurry for that one again. [But I thought arriving at 6am was wonderful!!])

Enjoy your sunshine and have a great trip!!

We were also there in April and can’t wait to go back for the end of November. Just seeing the castle draped in icicles is magical. It almost makes me want to cry (and I am usually not one to cry). If you want to get into the Christmas spirit I would go. At least do it once if not this year then at some point. There is stuff going on at Epcot too with the candlelight processional and the festival of the holidays in each country.

Last edited:
Animal Kingdom Lodge also has a huge tree in the lobby with African themed decorations. The Beach Club has a carousel made of chocolate which is really fun to see. We try to book meals at the Deluxe resorts so we can visit the ones with the best decorations.

Definitely very different! The Christmas decorations are beautiful!! Christmas music everywhere!! The night time shows are also Christmas themed! The resorts are all decorated too! If you enjoy the season, it’s the best time to go, in my opinion! Enjoy!!

Animal Kingdom Lodge also has a huge tree in the lobby with African themed decorations. The Beach Club has a carousel made of chocolate which is really fun to see. We try to book meals at the Deluxe resorts so we can visit the ones with the best decorations.
Thanks we will definitely check those out.

The holiday season (from Nov 18-Jan 3/4 usually) is my absolute favorite time to be in Disney! We have been to the parks every month of the year and nothing beats the holiday season. If you love Christmas it will put you in such a magical holiday mood. We love attending MVMCP at MK, touring the hotels and seeing all the trees and gingerbread displays, Epcot-processional, holiday storytellers and food booths, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam! show at DHS. There is Christmas music playing everywhere, the CM's seems happier and all the holiday-themed food!! :worship:

in 2016 we took a side trip to Sea World and let me tell you, it was freaking amazing. They had THE best stage and ice skating shows. The park was decorated beautifully and they had a small Christkindlemarket set up with a lot of tasty food too. I would highly recommend visiting if you can.

Also, the town of Celebration goes all out for the holiday season. They have snow on main street, carolers strolling the streets, etc. Super cute if you have the time to visit.

Do not hesitate to go in December- it will become your favorite time of year to visit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter