Christmas time newbie.. need advice

Mordu

Earning My Ears
I am planning a trip for Dec 19-23. We are Annual passholders this year, so we decided to take a quick trip to Disney during our kids' Christmas break.

A few questions:
1) how busy is it before Christmas compared to Easter? Just trying to get a gauge on what to expect crowd-wise
2) What special things are at Disney for Christmas aside from the Magic kingdom Christmas party?
So far I've read...
Epcot
- Candlelight processional at Epcot. We definitely want to see this but are unsure if we want to do a dining package or not. Neil Patrick Harris will be the narrator while we are there. I just don't know if my 6 year old will enjoy it or not
- international festival of holidays at Epcot
- mr and Mrs claus??
- special version of Illuminations

Hollywood studios
- jingle bell jingle bam
- sunset seasons greetings

Disney springs
- Christmas tree trail
- santa

Animal kingdom
- mickey and Minnie dressed up in holiday sweaters??

Magic kingdom
- aside from being decorated for Christmas. What is there for Christmas if you aren't doing the Christmas party? We are planning to go a Christmas party day and leave when it closes at 6

Resorts
- which resorts have the best Christmas decorations?

Thanks for the advice!

We are going for the first time this Christmas. The majority of people say it's crowded but if you plan accordingly and get to the parks early you'll be fine.
I would do the candlelight processional if you have any interest in it at all. I believe Mr and Mrs Claus are only in Disney Springs.
Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge are the best decorated resorts in my opinion.
You might want to arrange a holiday sleigh ride at Ft. Wilderness. You can call Disney Special Reservations line and set it up. It's 69 dollars per sleigh I believe. That might be something fun to do when you leave MK early that evening.

If you want to see Neil Patrick Harris you will definitely need to do the dining package - he is by far the most popular narrator!

Epcot: Joyful! A Gospel Celebration located at the fountain. Get a show schedule to know the times. Voices of Liberty in the American Adventure Pavillon perform holiday songs. Christmas storytellers at each country in Workd Showcase. With regard to the Candlelight Processional, I would do a dinner/show package. If your 6 year does well at church then you should be okay. Bring something to entertain your child during the show.

Magic Kingdom will have a stage show for the holiday on the castle stage.

The Grand Floridian has an orchestra playing holiday tunes. During their break a piano player takes over in the lobby. Santa Claus will make an appearance in the lobby. There's a life size gingerbread house.

Last edited:

Magic kingdom
- aside from being decorated for Christmas. What is there for Christmas if you aren't doing the Christmas party? We are planning to go a Christmas party day and leave when it closes at 6

You can also see the castle lighting show (it's Frozen themed) even on party nights for non-party goers. If you want to brave MK on the 23rd, the afternoon parade will be the Christmas one from the party.

You can also see the castle lighting show (it's Frozen themed) even on party nights for non-party goers. If you want to brave MK on the 23rd, the afternoon parade will be the Christmas one from the party.
we are flying out early on the 23rd to spend the Christmas weekend with family- otherwise we would try to brave it. Thanks though!

Epcot: Joyful! A Gospel Celebration located at the fountain. Get a show schedule to know the times. Voices of Liberty in the American adventure Pavillon perform holiday songs. Christmas storytellers at each country in Workd Showcase. With regard to the Candlelight Processional, I would do a dinner/show package. If your 6 year does well at church then you should be okay. Bring something to entertain your child during the show.

The Grand Floridian has an orchestra playing holiday tunes. During their break a piano player takes over in the lobby. Santa Claus will make an appearance in the lobby. There's a life size gingerbread house.
thanks! Our favorite park is Epcot-so we will definitely check all of that out!@ Thanks for the heads up about the Candlelight processional.. My older daughter would really enjoy it.. just not sure about the 6 year old.
we may need o stop Grand Floridian as well. Would be neat to see it decorated (and we've never been there!)

Epcot: Joyful! A Gospel Celebration located at the fountain. Get a show schedule to know the times. Voices of Liberty in the American adventure Pavillon perform holiday songs. Christmas storytellers at each country in Workd Showcase. With regard to the Candlelight Processional, I would do a dinner/show package. If your 6 year does well at church then you should be okay. Bring something to entertain your child during the show.

Does anyone one know when the gingerbread house goes up? Even part way? I’m leaving 11/14 but I’m hoping to see it!

Seeing castle lit at night is very magical! Our favorite part since Osbourne Lights went away:sad1:. The Jungle Cruise also becomes the Jungle Cruise, with corny Christmas jokes. Definitely check out GF and giant gingerbread house- amazing details, all made from scratch, and you can buy some to taste or ornaments for your tree when you get home. Wilderness Lodge and AKL both have beautiful trees. Also at Ft. Wilderness there is another ride you can take in addition to one PP listed above, which is a wagon ride(hay ride type) that takes you around the Ft. to see people's campground lights and decor - only about $8/pp I believe .

Candlelight Processional is amazing, but our youngest was 8 and was not that interested unfortunately, so you might want to skip it this time, and spend time doing storytellers, depending on your child. Even with dining package, you will want to line up pretty early for your show if you want to try and sit closer to front, especially with NPH narrating IMHO.

At AK I have seen in the past Goofy and Pluto dressed up for Christmas.

The best resorts for the holiday decorations are GF, WL, campgrounds at FW, CR, AKL, BC, YC, and BW.

I agree about doing the dining package for the CP.

Christmas is the best time of year to visit. It's so festive and beautiful so make sure to take time and see all of the decorations and detail in the parks and the resorts. Christmas is crowded. Just make your FP and ADR's and enjoy!

Hey there!

I've been to Disney for Christmas week (12/24-1/1) 7 of the last 8 years and I'll be back this year. Happy to help. Answers in Red:

I am planning a trip for Dec 19-23. We are Annual passholders this year, so we decided to take a quick trip to Disney during our kids' Christmas break.

A few questions:
1) how busy is it before Christmas compared to Easter? Just trying to get a gauge on what to expect crowd-wise
We actually just went for Easter. We were shocked at how empty it was. We did get a discount, so maybe it was just a down year?... I don't know. It's much more crowded during Christmas, though. It's hard to say based on your dates. On one hand, these dates are usually seen as the "calm before the storm." It's crowded, but it's nowhere near Christmas week... BUT, there's also free dining going on, so it may be crowded.

2) What special things are at Disney for Christmas aside from the Magic kingdom Christmas party?
Can't answer, as we have never been for the party. I will say that some Christmas party stuff extends into Christmas week. I'd try and see Holiday Wishes, as Wishes is now defunct; I'd also make time for the Christmas parade. I've seen it in the daytime and I'm sure it's much better at night. Also, just take some time to enjoy Main Street at nighttime. The white lights that are hung throughout the year, plus the christmas decor and the "iced" castle make for some great photos. Plus.. it "snows".

So far I've read...
Epcot
- Candlelight processional at Epcot. We definitely want to see this but are unsure if we want to do a dining package or not. Neil Patrick Harris will be the narrator while we are there. I just don't know if my 6 year old will enjoy it or not
- international festival of holidays at Epcot
- mr and Mrs claus??
- special version of Illuminations
EPCOT is cool during the holidays. They have the storytellers and it's cool seeing a lot of the food and customs from around the world. It's much more subdued than F&W or Flower and Garden, though. Illuminations is cool, but it's not completely different. I'd still do it, though.

Hollywood studios
- jingle bell jingle bam
- sunset seasons greetings
JBJBAM is alright. It rained last year, so we didn't have the best experience. If there's time, I'd definitely do it. Skip the Dessert Party.

Disney springs
- Christmas tree trail
- santa
Do go to Disney Springs, don't go just for the Christmas tree trail. It was underwhelming and felt like a used Christmas Tree lot. Felt very much like an after though. Maybe after having a year to plan it'll be better, but I wouldn't count on it. DS is very cool during the holidays, but at the end of the day it IS just a big outdoor shopping place with great food spots. But if you're a big Disney fan and haven't seen it yet, it's definitely worth exploring.

Animal kingdom
- mickey and Minnie dressed up in holiday sweaters??
Yes. They're somewhere. They used to be at Camp Minnie Mickey. I can't remember if they were moved because of Pandora. Santa Goofy and Pluto are in Dinoland.

Magic kingdom
Jingle Cruise is cool (Christmasy version of Jungle Cruise). Outside of that, Elsa "freezes" the castle each night at 6 or 7pm. The Confectionary usually has some Christmas-themed treats and idk.. MK during Christmas just **Feels** cooler.

Resorts
- which resorts have the best Christmas decorations?
Do the monorail tour. Over at EPCOT, go see the resorts. In order of best to "meh" here's the must-dos:
1) Wilderness Lodge 2) Grand Floridian 3) Beach Club 4) Contemporary 5) Swan and Dolphin 6) Yacht Club 7) Polynesian

Also go over to Fort Wilderness. Many campers deck out their campsites in a BIG, BIG way. Disney offers a "sleigh" ride around the campsite for (I believe) $80 or so. Totally worth it.

Thanks for the advice!

I highly recommend going to Epcot for the storytellers. I’m sure your 6 year old will enjoy them. The crowds shouldn’t be too bad since you’ll be leaving before Christmas Eve. Your last day may be somewhat packed. If you want to do candlelight, then I would highly recommend looking online and seeing if you can get a dinner package. If not, then you will most likely not see NPH. He is one of the most popular narrators. I would recommend going to the Christmas party to see the parade and wishes. Also, I highly recommend the holiday version of illuminations.

Thanks Minniekins, disneygolfer1985 and plutothedog89. Great info! I knew the future kid on Disboards would be able to share some good info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter