City Mini vs nice umbrella stroller?

JoyAhead

Mouseketeer
Hi all! We’ve been to Disney several times with a 4-6 year old and taken our city mini stroller. now our older child is walking age but we have a toddler (22 months at trip time). We are debating taking the bigger city mini vs the smaller maxi cosi umbrella stroller. The umbrella still lays flat for naps and has a good canopy (not as large as the city mini though). It’s much smaller and lighter for busses though. Pros/cons from those more experienced?

Personally, I would go with the smaller umbrella stroller - I've never liked dealing with larger strollers in the past when my daughter was smaller. I would never have considered taking a larger stroller to the parks or on the buses. Just do what works the best for you.

Depends - if you plan to have them nap in the park then the one that facilitates that is what I would do. If you return to the hotel for naps then the smaller one. If both are good for napping, hold the same amount, and are as easily maneuvered then the smaller would win for me. All of that said, I love my city mini, I feel it folds up small enough and I personally prefer one handed pushing which I can’t do with an umbrella stroller. So that would be my choice...

Pros would be easier transport on the buses, as you mentioned, quicker and easier to stroller park as umbrellas can often be wedged into little gaps that our big stroller couldn't fit, dries off faster after rain. Downsides are umbrella strollers usually have not as good under-stroller storage, which is something we use a lot for toys. Also, my husband who is tall found he had to lean over more because the umbrella stroller handles are lower, so I ended up doing more of the pushing!

I’m 100% for the citi-mini. It’s so easy to push and collapsing it is a breeze. I also love the canopy. How old will your oldest be? If they’re six they could potentially still ride in the citi- mini while you baby wear as an end-of-day option to painlessly get the kids out of the park and back to the hotel.

I've done both. The City Mini has a larger basket underneath for storage and larger canopy to block the sun for naps and rain. Plus if the toddler would like to walk or baby wear, the older sibling will be able to ride in it. But a smaller umbrella would be easier for the buses and parking, and lighter weight to carry. You also have to keep in mind who will be pushing most of the time. My husband always liked the City Mini more because if was a more comfortable height since we is taller than me. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either. You will adjust with whatever you have!!

I prefer my city mini to my umbrella stroller. I struggle with closing it less and it’s super easy to push. So I’d always bring that. I don’t really find it very heavy either

We use a double Maclaren so I like umbrella strollers a lot. However with s single umbrella think of what you're bringing. Mine will fall back if we hang anything off it when the child isn't in it.

If your umbrella stroller is easy for your child to take a full nap in and provides good shade, then by all means use that if it is smaller and easier to manage. My umbrella stroller has poor shade and doesn't allow my kids to sleep comfortably, so we rent a City Mini double.

City Mini! We would not have survived touring the parks with an umbrella stroller. It is smoother when going over bumps, bridges, and all sorts of paths! The canopy covered almost their whole bodies for sun shade or naps. Storage for cups, bags, and underneath for snacks or small toys kept us hands free (well except for who was pushing lol). It also has adjustable height for the handle which made it easier to push for my tall husband.
Yes it was bulkier to fold up for the bus (we had a double the last few trips) but nothing we couldn't manage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter