City Pass - 2 days SWSD???

Pirate1+Princess4

Mouseketeer
Taking our kids (11.5, 10, 10, 10, 10) to So. Cal. for the first time. Traveling 7/31 - 8/16. I grew up in San Gabriel Valley and that will be our "base", staying with family. I've only been back twice since I moved away 18 years ago so I'm not sure about traffic and other changes.

My questions are many and disjointed. Thanks to anyone who has the patience to get through it all offer some suggestions.

We are flying into PHX on 7/31 and taking an extended layover as DH REALLY wants the kids to see the Grand Canyon. We'll depart AZ in our rental on 8/2 and head to So. Cal.

Aside from hitting the first In-N-Out Burger I see, the rest of our trip is very flexible. I'd like to avoid theme parks on the weekend since we have that luxury. MIght do a Sunday if crowds are better. Maybe do US on a Sunday since weekday traffic getting up there will make me cranky.

DH has to work a 1/2 day in Torrance sometime in the middle, but the date is flexible. Thought maybe we'd drive him to work then hang out in Redondo, Del Amo??, or maybe to Queen Mary and Aquarium in LB. Drive back to SGV in evening after rush. Is Cabrillo with tide pools something we could do from their for an easy fun AM?

Considering the City Pass with DLR, US, SWSD. Wondering if we should hit SWSD on our way in from AZ, or take a separate excursion (2 hours from my parents' house). I could see us using the FREE 2nd day, no problem. Does the 2nd day have to be used the next day, or could we come back another time during our trip? We'll skip the SD Zoo, but I'd like to see the Midway too. If we start in SD, then we'll be at SWSD on a Friday and Saturday. I understand you have to start at SWSD to get the FREE day.

I still need to confirm how much running my parents (73 and 77) want to do with us. We'll need 2 cars anytime they BOTH go with us. They thoroughly enjoyed WDW a few years ago.

Any ideas on a reasonable "suite-style" hotel near SWSD? As a family of 7, an Embassy Suites is usually less than 2 standard rooms at a budget motel. If my parents join us, then we could share 2 rooms. Just trying to keep the hotel expenses down, but would love that extra time at SWSD for my little animal lovers.

Thanks so much!!!!

I believe you can use the 2nd SW day anytime in the 14 day period your citypass is good for.

Tidepools sounds fun, but since you are thinking about them for the AM, find a tidechart for the area and make sure the tide will be low leaving the pools behind.

In SD you might get lucky with Paradise Point, or The Dana they are within site of SW, not walkable, and have condos for rent.

Sorry to just tack on a question but for the 2nd day at Sea World, do you need to buy your CityPass there? We will be starting at Sea World, but are planning to get the CityPass that includes the Zoo, which seems to be available only online. Would we still get a 2nd day at Sea World?

Keyser,
The San Diego Zoo option is only available from citypass.com; the free 2nd day at SeaWorld San Diego is only available if you purchase your CityPASS online from SeaWorld and visit SeaWorld first. So, unfortunately, it's not possible to get the zoo option with the free 2nd day. You'd have to pick one or the other. Sorry!

Cabrillo has the indoor aquarium that is not dependant on the tides. Haven't been in at least a decade, but did drop some family at the beach in April, and it was closed. Not sure why, but it was just for the day.
Long Beach aquarium of the Pacific is awesome, just not sure what their prices are these days. Plus there is the option of driving over the Vincent Thomas bridge which will give your kiddos a great view of the port and cruise ships. Another option is a harbor cruise of the Port of Los Angeles. If your kids are interested the SS Layne Victory is a fun and educational way to spend an hour or two.
Going the other direction from Torrance, Torrance and Redondo Beach are great if you just want some sandy beach fun. My mom always picks Torrance for the ease of parking. Just remember that most places the road is well above the beach. And earlier in the morning there is always the possibility of marine layer. If you're like me, don't forget that you can still get a sunburn if its overcast!

Sounds like a fun trip. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter