• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Civitavecchia Overnight

rosiect

Jersey Girl
Flight after our med cruise does not depart until the next morning. Has anyone spent a day in Civitavecchia and stayed overnight prior to traveling to airport? Are there reasonable hotels and activities within walking distance from port? Trying to decide if we should return to Rome on that day or if there are other options. We are planning to spend a few days in Rome prior to the cruise.

Whatever you decide to do, Civitavecchia is pretty dead so if you decide to stay there, make sure you have a nice hotel that will allow you to relax and enjoy. For your pre-cruise stay in Rome. Be careful when you book a room in the city, a lot of the smaller hotels don't have elevators.. not a fun situation at 11 pm at night dragging two suitcases three floors up...

I'd personally be planning to either stay near the airport or in the city near the train station and take the train into the airport in the morning. I'd be a bit worried about staying in Civitavecchia as it can be a couple of hours by car and the traffic can vary depending on time of day and when it's busy, it's really busy. I guess it partly depends on when your flight is but there's really nothing to do/see in Civitavecchia (although there's nothing wrong with doing nothing but enjoying the weather and food for a good portion of the day before you leave).

We faced this issue after our Mediterreanean cruise in 2019. We didn't see much to do in Civitavecchia, so we booked a private tour that visited Tivoli Gardens (Villa Adriana and Villa D'este). Our driver picked us up at the port and dropped us off at a hotel near the airport. This worked out beautifully -- we saw an area that we didn't see during our pre-cruise stay in Rome, and didn't need to worry about carrying luggage, since it just fit in the van.

We stayed in Civitavecchia the night before a cruise in 2019 and I wouldn't do it again. There really is nothing to do there and the hotel situation isn't great. We ended up staying in a B&B, which was very nice and what I'd recommend. But if we ever sailed from there again, I'd just stay in Rome an extra day. You can never have enough time in Rome!!! We used a car service to get from Rome to Civitavecchia and it took just a little over an hour - plenty of time to get to port. Even if you hit traffic, you should be fine.

Rome, always more Rome!

Flight after our med cruise does not depart until the next morning. Has anyone spent a day in Civitavecchia and stayed overnight prior to traveling to airport? Are there reasonable hotels and activities within walking distance from port? Trying to decide if we should return to Rome on that day or if there are other options. We are planning to spend a few days in Rome prior to the cruise.

As others have said, I wouldn't stay in Civitavecchia. Frankly, there isn't much there and it didn't look at very nice on our drive through. But the drive to the airport is long from there and I wouldn't risk it before a flight.

We stayed at the Hilton at the airport, but wouldn't do that again unless our flight was super early. The location was great, because you could walk to the airport to catch your flight, but it was also terrible in that it was so isolated that the only food option was the one in the hotel, which had a several-hour wait. We tried to catch an Uber to get dinner somewhere else, but the app would only allow pickup at a far away part of the airport. We could have caught a cab I'm sure, but gave up and ate snacks we bought at the airport. The hotel was fine in the lobby, but the guest hallways were dark and dirty and our room smelt so bad that we had a hard time sitting in it when we weren't sleeping. It wasn't up to normal Hilton standards.

If I was doing it again, and our flight wasn't too early, I would probably get a room in Rome again for the night and enjoy one more night in what is now my favorite city in the world. It would be somewhere we could walk from and we would just stroll the city in the evening one more time. If our flight was super early, I would brave the Hilton again, because you want to leave lots of extra time to fly out of FCO. It can be a process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter