Class of 2024 (and beyond) parents - any questions?

So here is a college question - and I hope I don't get roasted for this: The plan was for my daughter to go to community college and if that works out, move on to a four year school. DD is smart but has learning deficits She is currently straight A's but bombed the SATs.

Now that she is thinking about college, she has chosen a college of Art and Design to the tune of $40-50K a year. And, they do not require SAT scores so she could get in.

We can afford it but how do you reconcile paying so much for a degree when,... gosh, this is going to sound bad.... there is probably little return on investment?

She likes art and music but honestly, has not actually displayed any artistic talent or musical skills. She likes computers and has shown an interest in doing something with technology so I am thinkin maybe graphic arts.

Do I push her toward community college to start or do I give her the best start possible and then accept that she may end up being a Starbucks barista in the end?

[putting on my flame retardant suit just in case]
It’s such an overwhelming process for both the students and the parents. I just want to stress to make sure the arts school is an accredited institution. My sister went to the now defunct art institute and if she wanted to continue her studies she would have been starting as a freshman at another university. The school was not recognized as an accredited college/university but more as a technical school so none of her course work would transfer to another institution.

It’s such an overwhelming process for both the students and the parents. I just want to stress to make sure the arts school is an accredited institution. My sister went to the now defunct art institute and if she wanted to continue her studies she would have been starting as a freshman at another university. The school was not recognized as an accredited college/university but more as a technical school so none of her course work would transfer to another institution.
Thanks for the heads up. It appears they are NOT accredited by the National Accreditation of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) but are accredited with Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.

What that means for us is unclear.

What ended up happening with your sister? Did she end up getting her arts degree?

Not to side track the purpose of this thread but I wanted to say that although this is overwhelming, navigating the college thing is a good problem to have and thought I wouldn't.

DD struggled with physical, speech, and language processing delays. She repeated kindergarten and had an IEP up until recently. But she is smart, hard working and tenacious. She has overcome so much and she is going to excel at anything she does.

So, the least I can do is get through this and get her into the right school.

Thanks for the heads up. It appears they are NOT accredited by the National Accreditation of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) but are accredited with Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.

What ended up happening with your sister? Did she end up getting her arts degree?
If it’s accredited by the Southern Association of colleges than that school is recognized and those credits will be accepted anywhere.

My sister never went on to get more schooling because of the issue of having to start over she did get CAD certified though as she went for interior design. She has her own company and is doing very well, but it’s a very high stress job.

@china mom

I would encourage your daughter to start at a community college then transfer. What she’s interested in now might change in 1-2 years. Plus she can explore major/course options that may lead her to a career of interest.

Years ago I had two friends attend two different arts/design colleges. One graduated, the other didn’t. One works as a nanny. The other was a barista. It was the equivalent of a community college degree for an expensive price tag, that for them had no return on investment. Both had started at community colleges before transferring to the art/design school. At the time I cautioned them; price, degree level, return, etc.

Thank you. We will not be using student loans under any circumstances and since she won't qualify for financial aid and since she is not a top student, is there any other reason to mess with Fasfa? (Job loss or death still wouldn't change our situation because we are collecting our pensions)
Some schools may require that a student have it on file regardless of their intent to take out loans. For example: it might be needed if they plan to apply to be a tutor, student ambassador, as part of an internship offered through the university, etc.

I'm not sure if I really have any questions right now, but I really do need to vent. I have a 2024 and a 2027 and it's really stressing me out.

The 2024 is trying to finish up a bunch of Common App stuff to meet the Early Action (not Decision) deadline for a bunch of schools. She's got a decent mix of schools to which she's applying, and the tops are all places where she genuinely likes the school. i.e. she isn't just lured in by US News rankings and perceived prestige. If anything, I love that she's really motivated to push hard for the places likely to give her the most $ for her grades and test scores. She's opted for an assembly line approach on the apps and it's really stressing me out. At least FAFSA has changed, and we don't have to start messing with that until Dec 1. FAFSA is mandatory in our state, so no getting out of it. We hit some snags with getting some app info from her high school that's set us back several days, but the goal is to get a bunch of apps out by Wednesday.

You'd think the 2027 would be lower stress right now, but she wants to play softball in college and the schools with the undergrad programs that would be best for her grad school/career goals are all D1. Everything with her is a mix of keeping her grades high while juggling school clubs to show diverse involvement, travel ball, prospect camps, school fall ball, and all of the emails, video, and social media that goes with this process. The stress of trying to juggle this with a 2024 is overwhelming.

@china mom

I would encourage your daughter to start at a community college then transfer. What she’s interested in now might change in 1-2 years. Plus she can explore major/course options that may lead her to a career of interest.

Years ago I had two friends attend two different arts/design colleges. One graduated, the other didn’t. One works as a nanny. The other was a barista. It was the equivalent of a community college degree for an expensive price tag, that for them had no return on investment. Both had started at community colleges before transferring to the art/design school. At the time I cautioned them; price, degree level, return, etc.
That's what my biggest dilemma is. Return on Investment. We are in the fortunate position to have the funds but I am practical and logical when it comes to spending money (OK, I am frugal) Just because you can afford something, doesn't mean you have to get it. The though of paying $160-200K on a degree and then have her not end up using it kills me.

We are still strongly considering the community college option. That is the most practical solution at this point.

I'm not sure if I really have any questions right now, but I really do need to vent. I have a 2024 and a 2027 and it's really stressing me out.

The 2024 is trying to finish up a bunch of Common App stuff to meet the Early Action (not Decision) deadline for a bunch of schools. She's got a decent mix of schools to which she's applying, and the tops are all places where she genuinely likes the school. i.e. she isn't just lured in by US News rankings and perceived prestige. If anything, I love that she's really motivated to push hard for the places likely to give her the most $ for her grades and test scores. She's opted for an assembly line approach on the apps and it's really stressing me out. At least FAFSA has changed, and we don't have to start messing with that until Dec 1. FAFSA is mandatory in our state, so no getting out of it. We hit some snags with getting some app info from her high school that's set us back several days, but the goal is to get a bunch of apps out by Wednesday.

You'd think the 2027 would be lower stress right now, but she wants to play softball in college and the schools with the undergrad programs that would be best for her grad school/career goals are all D1. Everything with her is a mix of keeping her grades high while juggling school clubs to show diverse involvement, travel ball, prospect camps, school fall ball, and all of the emails, video, and social media that goes with this process. The stress of trying to juggle this with a 2024 is overwhelming.
Lol I had 5 kids in 6 1/2 years, the youngest two graduated HS in 2021, so times 2, during Covid, trying desperately to find tests, and not being able to visit or tour campuses, not fun.

Lol I had 5 kids in 6 1/2 years, the youngest two graduated HS in 2021, so times 2, during Covid, trying desperately to find tests, and not being able to visit or tour campuses, not fun.

I feel for you! I have a lot of friends with kids that went through all of that during Covid. My older one has a number of schools that she's had to rely on virtual visits simply because I'm not flying her all over the country. I guess we benefited from them boosting the quality of virtual tours due to Covid. So many schools are now test optional because of Covid but thankfully our district had their complimentary schoolwide SAT and ACT happen for juniors before the 2020 lockdowns. So, a lot of kids here still had scores. I do seem to remember hearing those that wanted to retest were in more of a bind. Still, I'm sure it's not stress you wish to repeat.

I feel for you! I have a lot of friends with kids that went through all of that during Covid. My older one has a number of schools that she's had to rely on virtual visits simply because I'm not flying her all over the country. I guess we benefited from them boosting the quality of virtual tours due to Covid. So many schools are now test optional because of Covid but thankfully our district had their complimentary schoolwide SAT and ACT happen for juniors before the 2020 lockdowns. So, a lot of kids here still had scores. I do seem to remember hearing those that wanted to retest were in more of a bind. Still, I'm sure it's not stress you wish to repeat.
They both had act/sat scores but were still working with their tutor. They were really prepared for the sat (I think) and the test was canceled the day before. They kept meeting with their tutor, but every test was canceled so mentally they kind of gave up. My son planned on attending his state flagship and his scores were fine for that, my daughter wanted to go out of state so needed merit, hoping for a 35 but stuck at 33.

Private schools are handled differently for accreditation than public schools. For publics, one department can be accredited, but for a private school, the entire school must be accredited. So if a private school has some programs that want accreditation and others that don't, no accreditation. That's why they're accredited with the SACSCC.

At my public institution, programs like nursing and education have separate accreditation than our entire institution's accreditation. Unless you work in this world, it's very confusing.

Just jumping in to say my senior got her first acceptance today! She really wants to go out of state and have a big campus experience-both of which I totally support. We will see how the money works out. this school is part of the Western States Tuition Exchange-would actually be cheaper than staying in state which is nuts.

I have a 10th grader. I keep hearing that college is much more competitive than when I went in the mid 90s. What GPA do colleges look for? Do they look at weighted or unweighted? If a kid is not in the top 10% of the graduating class, will they get in anywhere? He has all A’s and some B’s sprinkled in. Right now he wants to major in computer science. He not involved in sports or any extra curriculars. He is helping out a little in tech theater. This worries me. He’s not the competitive type and some of the extra curriculars are competitive.
hubby took him to the college fair and he walked around but didn’t talk to any of the recruiters.
I already told him that this is his future, not mine, and that he needs a plan of some sort.

I have a 10th grader. I keep hearing that college is much more competitive than when I went in the mid 90s. What GPA do colleges look for? Do they look at weighted or unweighted? If a kid is not in the top 10% of the graduating class, will they get in anywhere? He has all A’s and some B’s sprinkled in. Right now he wants to major in computer science. He not involved in sports or any extra curriculars. He is helping out a little in tech theater. This worries me. He’s not the competitive type and some of the extra curriculars are competitive.
hubby took him to the college fair and he walked around but didn’t talk to any of the recruiters.
I already told him that this is his future, not mine, and that he needs a plan of some sort.
It depends on the school. For CS, the selectively of the school isn’t as important, but it’s also a more competitive major where an applicant’s stats need to be higher. GPA is #1, but there is also rigor (honors, AP, DE), class rank (even if the HS doesn’t officially rank), a high test score is better than TO at many schools still, EC’s/essays/LOR but to a lesser extent, demonstrated interest at some schools, full pay vs. aid needed at some schools. It’s important to look up this information on the websites.

I just wanted to add to the conversation about community colleges. Some states have [CC to State U] transfer agreements, so that, if planned out correctly, all CC credits transfer to State U, and there might be a just a small requirement to take additional courses depending on the major. (In MA, it‘s just two classes, max.) Something worth looking into if your student is considering the community college option. I do think it’s a good one for some students.

Ex: https://www.mass.edu/masstransfer/ (Check your state!)

It’s unfortunate that some high schools don’t encourage cc’s more, which was the case in my kids’ school. There’s some sort of stigma there, and that’s too bad, because for many, it’s a realistic option. (My state is talking about making education free there in the coming years, which will be great; even now, though, they’re pretty affordable.)

One thing one of my kid’s HS senior teachers told parents was something important to look at: Not just where freshmen college students went, but where, or if, they were enrolled their sophomore year. That tells more of the story, she said. Some families get caught up in the excitement of it all, but some of their choices may not be the best, or realistic. We used to visit college campuses all through HS and have lunch there. Mine knew right away whether they liked the feel of the school or not. They wound up going to the school they felt most comfortable at, which was also my school, and a really great place to study.

DD was sure of her major, and what school she wanted. For years. She also had a good GPA, but tanked her SATs. She did have strong volunteerism and work history, with just one AP class. She got into her school of choice, but not the program she wanted, which presented a problem that lasted about a year and a half, until she managed to fight her way in by getting excellent grades the first year, volunteering in the program, and reapplying. It was interesting because many who got in from the beginning either dropped out or back, as it was very rigorous. (Nursing.) She went straight through to finish the program. Only about 80 of their class of 150 graduated on time. Just last week she graduated from a Master’s in Nursing program (which wasn’t planned initially; she decided to do it once she started working, seeing how hard it is to work in hospitals today and wanting other job options). She was highly motivated, obviously, and worked her butt off these past six years.

DS had a couple of options on the table. He also had a strong volunteerism and work and sports history, though took no AP or Honors classes. (That was a conscious decision on our part, not wanting that type of pressure in HS - everyone is different in this, but saying it so others see they can still get into college without them.) He went with the school where he could play his sport, though he was less sure about his major there, and changed it after freshman year. Thankfully it didn’t slow him down too, too much (though it did cost him an extra semester). He did play his sport for four years and I think that was what really motivated him to get through - tough coach and positive pressure being part of a great team. He’s been working hard in his field, but is now considering the option he didn’t choose initially, and that’s causing him to have to make some tough decisions, but he’s seeing it through and it’s all good. He has a very strong resume already and solid job and leadership experience.

I think in some ways, for some kids, it’s tough asking them to plan what they want to do for their entire lives when they’re 17 or 18 years old and their decisions have such a lasting impact both financially and emotionally.

I also think it’s ok to slow down. Think about things. Get some experience. I know there’s a danger they might choose the wrong path, do nothing, or not ever make it to school, but that has to be weighed against making decisions that aren’t right and coming out owing a lot of money (frightful in this day and age, IMO) and having to do something they don’t really like or aren’t passionate about. I do think that it’s good if passions develop early on, and are encouraged by families. Nothing beats having the support of people who love you, around you and pulling for you.

I know this is getting long but I just want to also post this, which someone here posted when my kids were in HS. It really helped me to put things in perspective as far as cost went. You don’t have to have a goal of being “debt free” to read it, but it will help you analyze costs and help figure out how to pay for school if money is tight. So check it out.

1698342007237.jpeg

Good luck, everyone!

There really isn’t just one way to see the college experience. Find your own way!

Last edited:
Well, ,I think we have decided. We are going with Community College and hopefully transfer to a four year school after that. I decided to cancel out SCAD open house weekend that's coming up because I don't think it would be kind to show DD what school she won't be going to.

As much as I would lover her to experience the freshman on campus college experience, I cannot justify spending $50K just for the experience. I just don't think she is ready for an art school at this point.

start listening to the "Your College Bound Kid" podcast.

Well, ,I think we have decided. We are going with Community College and hopefully transfer to a four year school after that. I decided to cancel out SCAD open house weekend that's coming up because I don't think it would be kind to show DD what school she won't be going to.

As much as I would lover her to experience the freshman on campus college experience, I cannot justify spending $50K just for the experience. I just don't think she is ready for an art school at this point.
I honestly think you made the right decision. If she wants the full college experience, she can live on campus when she transfers. Because I agree that having the full dorm experience is like a not-to-be-missed WDW Headliner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter