Cleaning smell from wool rugs

RadioNate

DIS Veteran
I have 2 wool area rugs. Because of all the damage from Fay they were rolled in the garage for about 5 weeks. Well now they stink!

The smell is hard to describe. It smells like wool, kida wet dog-ish but not really. It isn't musty but it is stale. And dusty How is that for help?

So how do I get them to non smell any more? I've been vacuuming that I crazy person (see broken Dyson thread from yesterday). I used some of the carpet fresh powder but it didn't last long.

Any ideas....I swear it is giving me a headache!

If there were wet, could they be molding? Is it like the smell from clothes left in the washer too long? You may need to have the rugs professionally cleaned.

The corner of 1 did get wet but that is actually the one that smells less.

We are getting the carpets cleaned in a few weeks. We need to wait on the insurance money. I guess they can do the rugs too. I just don't know if I can stand it for another month or so.

Can you get them up on something and let it air out? We're doing this with a rug we have now. We just cleaned an area rug and we have it out in the garage up on construction horses (I think thats what they're called) airing out.

Do you have pets? Maybe you're smelling a dog/cat smell that you didn't notice before and now, since it's been rolled up, has concentrated a bit?

Can you get them up on something and let it air out? We're doing this with a rug we have now. We just cleaned an area rug and we have it out in the garage up on construction horses (I think thats what they're called) airing out.

Do you have pets? Maybe you're smelling a dog/cat smell that you didn't notice before and now, since it's been rolled up, has concentrated a bit?

could be...we do have pets. I've never known them to have accidents but the smell is driving me mad!

What is funny is the the worse of the 2 is the one that was aired out longer...maybe something got it outside?

I know my DH wants to wait for the insurance money to do the cleaning but I don't know if I can stand it.

One just smells a little 'stale' but the other one is nasty.

They were rolled in the garage for awhile. They were up but bugs, lizards, frogs could still get to them. Now I'm really grossing myself out. I guess we'll drag them to the deck this weekend. Maybe that'll help. :confused3

could be...we do have pets. I've never known them to have accidents but the smell is driving me mad!

What is funny is the the worse of the 2 is the one that was aired out longer...maybe something got it outside?

I know my DH wants to wait for the insurance money to do the cleaning but I don't know if I can stand it.

One just smells a little 'stale' but the other one is nasty.

They were rolled in the garage for awhile. They were up but bugs, lizards, frogs could still get to them. Now I'm really grossing myself out. I guess we'll drag them to the deck this weekend. Maybe that'll help. :confused3

It could be the heat from the outside is ripening any smell that has gotten into the carpet. Having them in the airconditioning may have held the smell in check.

Are you having a regular rug cleaning service come out or one of those specialty places that specialize in disaster recovery? The name of one escapes me, but they do a fantastic job cleaning after floods/water damage. Darn...wish I could remember the name.

Ok, I have cleaners scheduled for next week....does anyone else have any temporary solutions that may help in the time being?

This place does both emergency water mitigation and regular cleaning.

We had one that got wet while rolled up in the garage and smelled. Put it out in the driveway, propped up on construction horses, in the sun for one afternoon and that took care of it. Don't leave it longer or it'll fade.

How big are they? I use coffee grounds to take the musty smell out of the rugs in my car. I just pour the grounds on the rug and leave overnight. Vaccum and repeat until the smell is gone. The coffee grounds will absorb the smell....

How big are they? I use coffee grounds to take the musty smell out of the rugs in my car. I just pour the grounds on the rug and leave overnight. Vaccum and repeat until the smell is gone. The coffee grounds will absorb the smell....

I never knew this. Interesting. I'll have to try this one.

one is 8x10 and the other is 9x12

they aren't cheap rugs either. I just unloaded a bottle of Febreeze on one of them, not that it helped.

Hopefully DH can get them outside this weekend.

You should look over to these rugs by your own self. Just wash them up with excessive water and use some detergent and soap and it can be recovered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter