cleaning supplies and tricks

cookies

Mouseketeer
I like a clean house. It makes me happy. Anyone have any great cleaning tips? What brands are the best? Best no-frill brands?
I hate my vacuum. What brand do you love?

I have a Kirby - its heavy & expensive but it works like a dream. I worked for Kirby for a while and realised that it is an 'honest' vacuum - no trickery when the salesman shows you it, it really does do what it says. I have the shampooer with it and do my carpets regular, they look fantastic. Its 10years old and still works as good as when I first got it.

And I always have vinegar, lemon juice & baking soda in my cleaning supplies :)

I use 4 things to clean my house-bleach, window cleaner, wood cleaner (like Murphy's Oil soap) and furniture polish. I also have a container of cleanser which comes out very rarely for a stubborn sink stain...I think I've had the same container since we moved into the house 18 years ago!

The bathrooms are cleaned with bleach with the exception of the wood vanity which gets cleaned with the window cleaner and at least a few times a year gets a wipe down with the Murphy's Oil soap to clean and refresh the wood.

My wood floors get cleaned with a window cleaner/water 50/50 mixture because of the type of finish the installer used. This is per his instruction.

Kitchen gets cleaned with window cleaner for appliances/coountertop. cabinets get Murphy's Oil Soap. If there's raw chicken or pork on the counter, the bleach spray comes out.

Wood furnture gets the furniture polish.

Woodwork gets the Murphy's oil soap. Windows get the window cleaner.

I like the "KISS" method of housecleaning. All these fancy cleaners are totally unnecssary IMHO.

My vacuum is an Oreck. I've had it for a number of years...probably at least 15...and have had no problem with it. Simple upright vacuum....cost about $300 at the time of purchase.

Rugs get done once or twice ayear with a rented steam cleaner.

Get rid of any children or pets.

:rotfl2:

I got rid of all my carpeting and tiled the entire house. Much easier to sweep and mop than vacuum and having to worry about spills (plus it helps me during allergy season). My dining, coffee and end tables are glass, so a wet rag and a dry one are all I need. I try to use the least amount of chemicals as possible.

I pretty much have only two cleaners that I use for just about everything.

Pinesol and Ajax cleanser.

Kitchen:

Floors & Walls--Pinesol (will use Ajax as well if there's a tough stain)
Sink-Ajax
Flat top stove--Bar keepers friend
Refrigerator/microwave--Dawn (top of frig I use Pinesol cause I don't get up there very often)
Counters--Dawn
Cabinets--Murphys then Old English
Stove door/Dishwasher door--Windex

Butlers Pantry:

Floors--Pinsol
Painted wood--Pinsol...Ajax if there's a hard stain
Glass--Windex
Counter--Dawn

Bathrooms:

Tub/Toilet/Sink--Ajax
Floors--Pinesol
Walls--Pinesol...Ajax if needed
Wood--Furniture polish
Knicknacks--Pinesol
Mirror--Windex

Living Room:

Wood--Furniture polish
Floors--Pinesol
Coffee table--Dawn

Dining Room:

Wood--Furniture polish
Floors--Pinesol

Bedrooms:

Wood--Furniture polish
Glass--Windex
Floors--Pinesol

I will take my fabric top barstools and area rugs out back and scrub them down with Pinesol and leave them outside till they dry.

I use old socks as rags.

I go back over my good wood with Old English. I don't do this every week maybe every two months.

BEST bathroom cleaner ever!

Dawn detergent mixed with vinegar (I am loving vinegar more and more with each day - so many uses!) Spray and let soak a couple of hours, then rinse. My shower & tubs look brand new!

I will never buy expensive bathroom cleaners again!

http://www.food.com/recipe/tub-and-shower-magic-434275

I also like a mix of baking soda & water to deep clean my kitchen counters. Amazing! That paste gets out stains that nothing else will.

Another white vinegar lover here. I never use bleach because it's so hard on everything and bacteria gets resistant. Vinegar and amonia for windows. My key to keeping things clean is to never let them get too dirty. I have a swiffer type mop but just use the pads and vinegar in the water. If something is really greasy or grimy, a drop of Dawn goes in my water and then I use a rinse bucket. We only have two area rugs, the rest is wood floored or vintage linoleum. All vinegar cleanable. My vacuum is a small one but we only use it a couple times a week for a really short time for floors; it's mostly used for cleaning with the attachments over doors, corners of ceilings. My secret weapon? Elbow grease.

I too use a lot of vinegar to clean. When my aunt passed away and we were cleaning out her house she had a $6 bottle of Vodka that was probably 20 years old. I took it and mixed about 1/2 and 1/2 with water. It cleaned amazing well .:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter