• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Clinical trials for brain lymphoma Dana Farber CI Boston

rbuzzotta

<font color=FF00CC>OKW until 2042<br><font color=t
My Dad has been following a Clinical Trial for Brain lymphoma over the past year at Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston.

He could not be an active participant in the trial because he is also a kidney transplant receipient and that alone excludes him from participating. Anyways.....after much thought, the doctors at DFCI said my Dad's BEST bet would be to use this chemo drug, Alimta, for his brain lymphoma. He could not go the conventional route of Methotrexate as it is toxic to the kidneys. So, we chose to use Alimta as an "off label" therapy. Insurance of course, would not pay for the $5000 per dose. HOWEVER, Eli Lily has a compassionate care program and have agreed to give my Dad the drug!!!

After one year of being treated with Alimta, he is cancer free!!! He has been for the past 6 months and his treatments have been spreading out. At the beginning he went for infusion every 3 weeks, then spaced to every month, then 6 weeks now 3 months and we will most likely stop for 6 months if his May appt is good!!

So.........there is hope for those out there!! Clinical trials are wonderful as is Dana Farber!!

If anyone is experiencing brain lymphoma and would like to chat, please let me know........I am an advocate for this and if I can do or say anything to make someone out there realize there is a good drug for this....I will be willing to do what I can to help!!

My Dad is 82, btw...

Hi Rosemary,

Thanks for sharing the story of your dad's wonderful recovery from this illness, I hope he has many more happy and healthy years ahead.:hug:

Quasar

Wow, that is sooooo inspiring!!!

Thank you for sharing that with us. It gives everyone hope, and that is sometimes all we can ask for..

:grouphug: to you and your family.

Thank you.......

Clinical trials are so vitally important and I am so proud of my Dad for being a willing participate. He is so greatful to have been given a second chance at life with a new kidney that if he can have the opportunity to further advance cancer care and cure, he will!!

There is hope.........

I loved reading this.. my doctor at DF just recommended a clinical trial for me starting sometime this year but when I read about it, I have lots of questions.. very scary sometimes these clinical trials so I was so happy to read about the success of this one.. Bravo to your Dad and hugs to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter