Club 33 benefits to change

I understand (and agree with you) however, if your country club said "You pay $xxxxx and you get 4 entry cards to give to whomever." So for 3 years, you do this. Now, 3 years later they say "We are changing the rules. You can only have 2 cards, but you are going to pay the same." I think this is where most members are most upset.

I understand that many will complain and it's somewhat justified. But if those cards created a situation where so many people had access to the club that the system became unsustainable, how should it be corrected? What if they had doubled the dues or more to account for accommodating double the guests. It sounds like Disney is saying that the value is the exclusivity and increased availability. Some may feel this is an about face from "share the love," but I'm sure there are many members staying silent who are anticipating sipping their mint julep with a little more room to stretch around them. I'm not saying members can't complain because they're lucky to be members. I'm just saying you can only throw so much money at a real world problem like, the capacity of a fixed space.

I understand (and agree with you) however, if your country club said "You pay $xxxxx and you get 4 entry cards to give to whomever." So for 3 years, you do this. Now, 3 years later they say "We are changing the rules. You can only have 2 cards, but you are going to pay the same." I think this is where most members are most upset.

And the sting becomes a bit worse when those who upgraded in the most recent months (Aug, Sept, Oct) were told that adding/splitting the membership was absolutely acceptable and that all holders of cards would have complete access in the coming year. That did not happen and smacks of being disingenuous on Disney's part.

And the sting becomes a bit worse when those who upgraded in the most recent months (Aug, Sept, Oct) were told that adding/splitting the membership was absolutely acceptable and that all holders of cards would have complete access in the coming year. That did not happen and smacks of being disingenuous on Disney's part.
Totally agree. Those members should be allowed to revert if they wish.

On a related but separate note, will Disney refund a pro-rated portion of a Club 33 membership, or even an annual pass, if the guest is dissatisfied? I know Costco publicizes this aspect of their membership--if at any time you decide you don't want to be a member anymore, they'll refund the remaining fee no questions asked.

So let's say I was a Club 33 member, I paid my twelve grand, and then a few months in I told them I wasn't happy and didn't want to be a member anymore. How would they handle that?

On a related but separate note, will Disney refund a pro-rated portion of a Club 33 membership, or even an annual pass, if the guest is dissatisfied? I know Costco publicizes this aspect of their membership--if at any time you decide you don't want to be a member anymore, they'll refund the remaining fee no questions asked.

So let's say I was a Club 33 member, I paid my twelve grand, and then a few months in I told them I wasn't happy and didn't want to be a member anymore. How would they handle that?

I would think that their membership staff would have authority to do almost anything, but that it would involve their discretion.

However, I've had assorted memberships (never 5 figures annually though) either paid or otherwise. Most membership terms are that the terms of a membership could change at any time. It may sound harsh, but that's almost always the case, and the only recourse is usually to not renew.

I can easily understand why they changed the terms. Club 33 was always supposed to be exclusive. That many people were allowing people in who weren't members and who weren't accompanying the member would have impacted the ability to secure reservations. Disney Parks have often made changes because certain passes or offers became almost overused.

If you read the comments to the LA Times article, one commentator claims that several people manage to ingratiate themselves to members to gain access, and then become insufferable about how they managed to get into Club 33.

It may sound harsh, but that's almost always the case, and the only recourse is usually to not renew.

That unfortunately is the only recourse. If it was just the yearly dues it would be easy. However if I joined and had paid the $25K initiation fee it would be a lot harder to just walk away. I would fight to protect my "investment"...my return on investment being entertainment value...which seems to be eroding exponentially.

I can easily understand why they changed the terms. Club 33 was always supposed to be exclusive. That many people were allowing people in who weren't members and who weren't accompanying the member would have impacted the ability to secure reservations. Disney Parks have often made changes because certain passes or offers became almost overused.

Except it wasn't just members that were allowing people in who weren't members and weren't accompanying the member. DISNEY was allowing people inside Club 33 to dine if there was availability (remember those posts about DIS members who booked the $300-600/hr VIP tour and their tour guide offered them the opportunity to dine at Club 33.)

The times I was fortunate to dine at Club 33 before the refurbishment, it was never full.

I would still gladly pay to be a member... I tried going through the channels to get on the waitlist when it was opened briefly, but alas... they stopped mailing me back in regards to it and must have filled it again. :headache: I've tried every avenue I can think of, and have asked everyone i know in real life who has been able to go if there is any way at all to no avail (no trawling forums, so no worries there). At this point I am pretty sure that my one picture with the elevator on a tour is going to be as close as I ever get.

I would still gladly pay to be a member... I tried going through the channels to get on the waitlist when it was opened briefly, but alas... they stopped mailing me back in regards to it and must have filled it again. :headache:
There have been a few posts (on this and other boards) about being unable to join the waiting list, or simply getting not response from the Club at all :scared:

The rules changes should allow more members to be added -- likely the primary reason for the changes.

There have been a few posts (on this and other boards) about being unable to join the waiting list, or simply getting not response from the Club at all :scared:

The rules changes should allow more members to be added -- likely the primary reason for the changes.

So we know about the benefit changes for Platinum members...what about the changes for the gold/silver members?

Except it wasn't just members that were allowing people in who weren't members and weren't accompanying the member. DISNEY was allowing people inside Club 33 to dine if there was availability (remember those posts about DIS members who booked the $300-600/hr VIP tour and their tour guide offered them the opportunity to dine at Club 33.)

The times I was fortunate to dine at Club 33 before the refurbishment, it was never full.

I was just told if you do the VIP tour you can still ask to book C33. I think the theory is if you're a celebrity or wealthy enough, you can still eat there but not have the "other" perks

I work with a company that works very closely with Disney our Executives have access to Dinning at club 33, I think the place is nice but not worth the membership fee at all. I know of course for those that don't have membership it is appealing. I do think Disney can make changes to membership rules and I also think paying members have every right to complain no matter how much money they have.

I have dined at club 33 many times and have never saw it over crowded so my personal opinion is that this is more money grab by Disney. Also there are pockets of members (those filthy rich people talked about above) that feel they are paying for a exclusive perk and if other members are just giving this out to the masses it cheapens it for them ( They don't want to dine with common folk. ). I am not saying that is right or wrong but it is a big part of this. I don't pay for my access personally so I have no real complaints about any of it. The members that are complaining are not likely the very rich it is more likely the people that share their membership so they can afford it.

I love Disneyland and love taking my family, my family loves it but my kids have no desire to waste their fum time sitting in some stuffy place to eat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter