CM at HS punched by guest over FPs

Regardless of how high, or low risk the buttons were on the podium the CM had to act upon the guest to make sure they were not pressed. Even things that people are listing off which are "not that serious" such as closing doors can be a serious issue. Sorry to be dark, but even the original building for CoP/America Sings in Disneyland had a CM die due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time due the movement of doors and walls. People tell us to stay seated for a reason.

While the cause of this death was unrelated to "pressing buttons" by an irate guest. It's just something to think about that something that seems harmless can be more serious than people realize. Even doing an emergency shut off for the most part is probably harmless, but changing anything that is normal depending on the ride, or attraction, can cause unknown consequences.

The fact of the matter is, is that the guest, in my opinion, seemed to clearly want to hurt people with the intent of pressing those buttons due to her erratic behavior and eventually punching the CM.

This punching incident was mild compared to this.

Haha the park guest they interviewed: "this is at night? after a day at the parks?":

lEBcJtz.gif

Totally agree that some sort of charges should have been made here. At the end of the day the CM is the victim and has the final say on prosecution. However, a disorderly conduct type of charge would have applied and would not need a victim's blessing. As a manager if someone touches one of my employees the person will be hauled away in handcuffs.
I'm not a Florida prosecutor, but I can tell you that in this situation you would not at all need the victim's testimony, much less her cooperation, to press charges and get a conviction in my state. All you need is the video of the punch, anyone to testify that they saw swelling on the CM's eye where they were punched, and you have yourself a valid battery case.

The only hooks here might be if Disney themselves wouldn't cooperate by releasing the video (but that's what we have subpoenas for) or an extradition issue: that person might not ever return to Florida from Chicago and you sure aren't paying extradition, but if she doesn't come back she gets a warrant for failure to appear and she's never renewing her driver's license until she gets it resolved. Beyond that, any return to the State of Florida would probably be cut off because if she was caught there, she could be driven back for prosecution in state.

I'm all for letting a lot slide when somebody is stressed, but throwing hands ain't in the "live and let live" column.
Agree jjb, I’m also not a Florida prosecutor, but it is not up to the victim whether a case is or is not prosecuted. The victim can choose not to sue some one, but the prosecutor decides whether a crime has been committed and if one has been committed whether it should be prosecuted.
There was a sheriff’s report, it will most likely be referred to the local prosecutor’s office who will decide whether to charge a battery. If they do charge the assailant with a crime the victim can be called to testify even if she’d rather just let it go, plus the victim’s testimony isn’t the only way to prove a case - if it were there’d never be a successful prosecution of a murder case.

Over my very long career as a front line CM at WDW, I had four or five incidents that could be classified as confrontational and in all cases I was able to diffuse them. Overwhelmingly, Guests are there to have a good time and act accordingly. This incident is an aberration.
Yes an "aberration" that has happened at Disney Parks at least 3 times in the past couple of weeks...so it beginning to look a lot more like a "pattern" now. Disney needs to address this sort of behavior; not just try to brush it under the rug. It's a serious Public Safety issue and most people are simply not okay with being traumatized at the parks!

I'm more concerned at the message being sent here by Disney by only issuing a trespass (lifetime ban). Regardless of the fact the CM didn't press charges, I would expect a responsible employer to take the helm. This is the first place I've heard about this. My expectation would be for Disney to make this public knowledge and make it clear they won't tolerate this kind of thing by making it known they are pressing charges. Make an example out of them, so to speak. Unfortunately, I presume their reluctance to do so is attributed to any number of factors. I just would prefer for more than a lifetime ban to be doled out as punishment. My $0.02.

I'm impressed the CM didn't press charges.

Maybe the family from Disneyland decided to visit Disney World? Seems like they have the same IQ.

I disagree. The CM should of pressed charges because when there isn't many consequences to people's improper actions they will do them more often.

Last edited:
I disagree. The CM should of pressed charges because when there isn't many consequences to people's improper actions they will do more often.

The cast member can also pursue a civil battery claim against the guest. However, I would think that her damages will be limited.

The CM should have beat the crap out of anyone that hits them...period. Someone hits me...Ill defend myself to the end...at work or not.

That is just inexcusible and it's more disturbing that they started messing with the ride control console! I'm sure there are a lot of safety systems in palce, but still. I am sure Disney has issued a ban for life at the very least.
Each ride has a couple different things. But from what I've heard from friends who have worked attractions, even the FP controls can range from preprogramed emergency announcements (Ride closed, evacuation of queue, fire) to E-Stops of ride in case of an emergency that occurs on their end.

While that may not sound serious or a safety hazard, someone simply hitting buttons and controls is a safety hazard to Disney and the CM was right to try and prevent it further. What if the pre-show door closed on someone's hand because the woman hit that switch? What if an emergency announcement prompting an evacuation had gone off because of it and some people stampeded out of the queue?

While that may not sound serious or a safety hazard, someone simply hitting buttons and controls is a safety hazard to Disney and the CM was right to try and prevent it further. If a child swinging on the chains in line is a concern, than some angry guest hitting controls is definitely one.

Even if the CM did not want to press charges I feel that Disney should have not only because they hit a cast member but really for the fact that they messed with the ride buttons....they should be charged with tampering with the ride and putting others in possible danger. That behavior should not be tolerated.

Some cast members (people) are not equipped to "beat the crap" out of anyone. That's why we have security, laws, judicial system, etc. Banning from the parks for bad behavior does not address the issue of assault/battery that happened. The perpetrator needs to be charged and exposed for who they are.

If someone hits me I'm hitting them back. That's just an instinct to defend myself.

I work at a hospital and there's been a few times that I thought I was going to be assaulted but security always showed up before it got to that point. It's usually by middle aged men. And nothing is ever done. Ever. I'm sure if it came down to someone being hit they would sweep it under the rug instead of possibly having the healthcare systems name in the news or banning the patient.

No one should have to deal with violence in the workplace.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter