• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

coaching and parent issues

Do all the parents show up for all the games? So 5 days a week you have games? How can the kids even keep up with that? I know you'd be having practices if not games but that is a lot of 'pressure' on the kids to be playing 5 games a week.

Maybe the AD needs to explain that there would be no B team this year if not for what you are doing and the 6th and 7th graders probably wouldn't have even made the team if not for you.

Around here there is always a parent meeting at the beginning of the season where the coach addresses this (along with expectations regarding attendance, notifying coach if missing practice, etc.) How about something like that?

Yeah I had one...thats when the parent code of conduct was signed and I went over rules and expectations etc etc

I coach basketball at a local school..I have coached the B-team for several years..This year I was asked to coach the JV...which I agreed to for a small salary...However I still coach the b-team, which is volunteer...this is a small school so there are never alot of players...we are lucky we keep the Bteam going...

this year...I have 13 kids between the 2 teams...only 2 are HS age that cant play b-team...So I decided to have 1 team to play all games just those couple wont dress on bteam..that way I can keep them together for practice etc etc....just easier really...

I have 5 or 6 middle school kids get alot of time on bteam and of course start just cause they have too...They also get time on the bteam but I also make it so the younger, less experienced kids get most of the time on bteam but all the kids get time at each level if it works out...only on JV if its a close game do the younger less experienced kids not get alot of time...but they dress out and get to experince the JV games..

Well I have never had an issue with parents till this year. We are 3-0 on Bteam and 9-2 on JV...so we are doing very good...However when I put those kids that get alot of time in on JV in a bteam game I have 1 or 2 parents that start screaming at me that this is a bteam game and that its stupid...stuff like that...I gave my 4 most experienced kids exactly 1 minute at the start of the 2nd qtr last game and soon as they went in those parents went crazy behind my bench...

The AD has seen 2 of our 3 bteam games and says what I am doing is fine...and he supports me....but its really getting to me and I am not sure what I should do...Do I just ignore it and not worry about it? Do I approach the parents? Any advice? hope all that is clear and makes sense...

thanks

While I don't agree with the parent's conduct, I am going to go against the majority here and say I understand their frustration.

From your record, the JV team has played 11 games and the B team has only played 3 games.

I too would be frustrated if the kids that get a lot of play time on the JV started playing on the B team. It looks like they get enough play time. The kids that have only played the 3 games and don't get much time on JV should be playing the B team.

You wouldn't take starting Varsity players and play them on JV. You shouldn't put starting JV players (your self-confessed 4 best JV players) and play them on B. It is poor sportsmanship and smacks of doing anything to win the game. And it really is insulting to the B parents when you say you need to put your best players in the B game so they can "practice" since you don't have any practices. This conveys to the parents that the JV players are more important than the B players that they have to take spaces in the B game to practice for JV.

Correct...

Bteam is 6,7,8th graders

JV is 6th -10th graders....

I have kids that are in 9th and 10th...they cannot play bteam...the rest of my JV starters are 7th and 8th graders...but all the 6th, 7th and 8th dress for JV and I try to get them all some playing time...

Here is another issue that I didnt explain...being this is 2 teams, I have no assistant...we play 5 days a week...so I cant practice...I have been using the bteam games as a practice time to work on things here and there with the ones who play alot on JV...its the only time I get a chance to do that...but they have yet to play a full qtr on bteam...last game it was for one minute to practice a defense to get ready for a region JV game...does that make sense?

If you don't have time for practice and have to use the B games for JV practice, then it sounds like having both teams the same is not working out.

actually that the other kids play too much...which translates to their kid doesnt play enough...but there kids played 3 1/2 qtrs last bteam game...Oh and this is actually a school...not rec league

But the B team has only had 3 games and the JV has had 11.

I can definitely understand the B team parent's frustration.

If you don't have time for practice and have to use the B games for JV practice, then it sounds like having both teams the same is not working out.

Well then the bteam would have been dropped and these kids wouldnt be playing at all...I am not purposely trying to limit time...and I could careless if I win a bteam game or JV for that matter...

its a tough situation...but my issue is how to deal with a parent...

I guess I should never let the other kids play any JV cause it might make the JV parents mad cause they arent getting time on Bteam....the kids that play alot on JV have yet to play a full qtr in 3 bteam games...I draw up a play or show them a defense on the dry erase board and give them 1 or 2 minutes to execute it and then they sit the bench...I dont start them on bteam...

Personally I would call a quick parents only meeting. Tell the parents that if they do not like the way you coach the team either please keep the comments to themselves and discuss it with you personally or they can step up and take over your coaching duties.

If you are not willing to be part of a solution do not complain. Also sports, like life, is not fair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter