coastal trip from San francisco to anaheim--stops?

2littleprincesses

DIS Veteran
HI! We are traveling in July to CA. I am trying to decide if we spend 2 nights in Monterey and then one night in Pismo Beach or 1 night Monterey, 1 night Pismo Beach, 1 night SAnta Monica. Here is our plan so far:

Saturday--arrive in San fran
Sunday--San Fran
Monday--San Fran
Tuesday--San Fran
Wednesday--Monterey
Thursday--Monterey again or Pismo BEach
Friday--Pismo Beach or Santa Monica
Saturday--drive to Holllywood--see sign, walk of fame, chinese theater, Warner brothers tour (2 1/2 hours)--drive to Anaheim (dd's 11 birthday--maybe do rainforest cafe for supper)
Sunday--DL/CA
Monday--DL/CA
Tuesday--drive to San Diego
Wednesday--San Diego
Thursday--San Diego
Friday--San Diego
Saturday--travel home

Is it possible to drive from Pismo beach and do all of those things on Saturday? I hear there is a lot to do in Monterey area--we will see redwoods on the way, Santa Cruz, aquarium, 17 mile drive, pfeiffer big sur state park, etc.

This is my spot for redwoods around Santa Cruz is this place:

http://www.roaringcamp.com

steamtrain-header-image.png

It's Roaring Camp Railroads. The photo is of their excursion ride through an old growth stand of redwoods that was protected from commercial logging since the 19th century. The trees are fairly big. Bigger than at Muir Woods (popular because of the location and that it's the last old growth stand in the Bay Area) but not as tall as you'd find on the North Coast. It's also right next to a section of Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park with a small loop trail. There's a path to the park right near the train depot.

HI! We are traveling in July to CA. I am trying to decide if we spend 2 nights in Monterey and then one night in Pismo Beach or 1 night Monterey, 1 night Pismo Beach, 1 night SAnta Monica. Here is our plan so far:

Saturday--arrive in San fran
Sunday--San Fran
Monday--San Fran
Tuesday--San Fran
Wednesday--Monterey
Thursday--Monterey again or Pismo BEach
Friday--Pismo Beach or Santa Monica
Saturday--drive to Holllywood--see sign, walk of fame, chinese theater, Warner brothers tour (2 1/2 hours)--drive to Anaheim (dd's 11 birthday--maybe do rainforest cafe for supper)
Sunday--DL/CA
Monday--DL/CA
Tuesday--drive to San Diego
Wednesday--San Diego
Thursday--San Diego
Friday--San Diego
Saturday--travel home

Is it possible to drive from Pismo beach and do all of those things on Saturday? I hear there is a lot to do in Monterey area--we will see redwoods on the way, Santa Cruz, aquarium, 17 mile drive, point lobos park, etc.

Correction point lobos state park

If you have time, I recommend driving the Skyline SR 17 from around San Mateo down. You'll see the redwoods along the drive; and then stop either at Roaring Camp/Henry Cowell or Big Basin for a closer look at the redwoods.

I would check out the events at Roaring Camp. From memory, they might have a Blue Grass weekend - either June or July. It might tie-in with your visit.

There is a lot to do and see in the Monterey area and surrounding area(s). There's also Carmel/Carmel by the Sea, Pebble Beach, Pacific Grove and further down is Big Sur. In Monterey: Cannery Row and Monterey Bay Aquarium. Carmel/Carmel by the Sea: All the cute shops and great places to eat. Don't forget to go to Carmel Beach. One of the most beautiful beaches. Pebble Beach: 17 mile drive and the Lodge. Stop and have a drink around sunset, there is a bagpiper playing. Past Carmel is the Big Sur Coast....it's breathtaking.

The Pismo area is great. Morrow Bay, Mission San Luis Obispo, Hearst Castle and Solvang are all great. But know that Pismo is about midway between SF and SoCal (2 hrs away from Monterey). You can easily spend a couple of days there. We go to Pismo from the Bay Area at least once a year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter