Coaster Lover Learns All Good Things Must End

samsteele

DIS Veteran
I was listening to the Tues show, with the park casualty list, and noted Craig's comment that as guests mature, they need to think hard about riding their old favourites. Sadly, I rode Yeti for the last time last Fall. I love the theming and used to love my coasters, but that was the finale for me.

I was a single rider seated beside a preteen girl, her Mom & younger sister were in front of us, and as we pulled away from the loading platform, the train lurched hard to a stop. My spine did a terrible crunch. The kid next to me stared at me as if thinking, "OMG that old woman's back just broke." It was definitely an 'uh-oh' moment. No one ever wants to hear their spine snap and crackle. Frightened me and I almost didn't want to move. However, I was good & no pain. Guess I got a free Yeti manipulation. But it was the end of the ride that did me in. That backward plunge with the twist finished me. Just no. Can't do it anymore. I guess all good things must end. I agree that no one ride is ever worth health problems. But it is so hard to give up the things you love. The good news is that each time I have to give up an oldie, I always find at least one attraction that is new to me. AK's Tree of Life Nighttime Awakenings was a wonderful new surprise. It helped take away the sting.

Do you have a beloved 'no more' ride that you just can't face? And have you found a surprise substitute?

Good question. I used to be a real daredevil - the faster/upside downer, the better!! Unfortunately, I had a diskectomy and spinal fusion in my neck in '98. and have had to say "buh bye" to many rides I loved prior to that (Space, Big Thunder, many others). Others that have opened since then, I have never ridden - and - sadly - never will (Rock 'n Roller Coaster, Everest, many others). I've not done TZTOT since they randomized the drop sequence. This is another reason why I like to see more "family friendly or gentle stuff" (don't know how else to phrase) open or be on the drawing boards. While of course I want others to have their thrill ride fix and fun, I also want something exciting for ME to enjoy, and be able to attempt, without worrying about personal risk. Upcoming Slinky Dog Coaster for instance - don't know if I'll be able to ride or not. Used to have a big group of friends I'd go with/meet there. who knew me, and I trusted to ride first/tell me if they thought I should attempt. Sadly, I do not anymore, so have to wait/see/judge for myself the best I can.

I do it all on a "common sense" basis - some things I KNOW I shouldn't try or do - like the above-mentioned, for instance, or even the intense side of Mission Space. since the only specific I was given by my Ortho Surgeon, other than to use my common sense (he knew I was a WDW addict) :) , was "don't do anything that pulls G's); Still others I've taken an occasional chance/personal accepted assigned risk on over the years - have done Splash once (maybe twice) that I can remember, and found out I CANNOT do Test Track more than ONCE A WEEK in a longer visit, and usually stay smart enough not to do it at all. :rotfl2:

Can't really pinpoint any specific attraction that has "taken the place" of the above, but I have become even more of a veteran people watcher/enjoyer than I ever was, and also spend much more time taking in the attention to detail, interacting wtih CM's and other guests, and just appreciating all the "little things", especially since also having mobility issues/walking with a cane/needing an ECV more and more as well. I do admit to feeling wistful at times, but I physically push that feeling out of my brain, so I don't get depressed, or start feeling sorry for myself - I try to force myself to remember I'm lucky to be there at all!!! :o

Last edited:
The only ride I have trouble with so far is RnR so I don’t ride it anymore. I have also never done the intense side of Misson Space because I’m afraid of it. I heard the podcast yesterday and I was a little bothered about some of the age comments because even some of the “lighter rides” have warnings. For me the Teacups are my biggest problem because I get a little bit of vertigo after riding them. I therefore don’t ride them but I do still love most of the coasters and feel able to handle them.

And I may have been wrong in my interpretation of the comments made about aging guests but I felt a little like there was a suggestion that older people are selfish to insist on still riding their favorites from prior years. If I misinterpreted something, I apologize to the team.

Mission Space - Orange (I think we did it when there was no difference between the rooms). That one nearly did me in when it first opened and now I know better.

Did Mt. Everest this past fall and that backward plunge either got steeper, longer, faster or is banked more.....wait.....nope it's just that I've aged. I think I bid farewell to it.

If it makes you feel any better when I turned 18 (I'm 21 now), EE began to make me feel sick. I also went on the Matterhorn a few years back and boy did that make my bones ache.

Well I think Corey mentioned feeling sick on the tea cups. That's me. Tea cups and anything that swings like at other amusement parks. I have done most of the roller coasters except Everest because it wasn't there the last time I went. The last time I was there I was a young 20ish. Now 20 years later I don't know of any precautions I would need to take. This probably happens to many people. They don't realize they have a condition that is not diagnosed or they think well I rode that ride last time with no issues.

Space Mountain I haven't done in a few years. The jarring on my back and spine is not worth it. RNR is fine and I love it.

I've just become the bag lady that holds everyone's stuff while they go on some attractions. I was thinking about one of the reason's I don't ride some of the headliners is because I usually give one of my daughters my FP so they can ride.

When Craig was reading through the list of injuries, I didn't think age was the really striking common denominator - it was "Had a pre-existing condition". It wasn't 100%, but a large number of them were. One can be older and in good health and comfortable on many of these rides, but if you have an existing problem (back issues, heart issues, blood-pressure, etc.) then you are exactly who those warnings at the entrance are being aimed at! My father was 77 last summer at Disneyland, but he is in ridiculously good health. He skipped a few rides just because he doesn't like heights but I have an awesome photo of our family on Space Mountain.

yup, i had to give up my all time favorite - tower of terror - this past summer due to a "preexisting condition" (as in old age)....
the family rode without me...

there comes a time that you just have to realize you're no longer able to handle what you could before...

when ToT first came out, i rode it 17 times in a row - of course that was when it was just a simple up and down...

but those days are long over.....but there are a whole lot of ways to enjoy WDW without going on ToT or any of the others i can no longer take a chance on...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter