Coat for Alaska in June

Jeni1781

Mouseketeer
How heavy of a coat do we need for Alaska in June? Currently looking at a Columbia 3 in 1 so the fleece lining unzips. But don’t know if that’s too much. We are from Florida so probably won’t use them again. Thanks.

Also from Florida and have done one cruise and 6 work trips up there. Cruise was in May and work trips were Early August through October and one in March. I'll predict that you cannot predict how cold it will be. The weather will likely vary quite a bit but you should really make sure that you have an outer that is waterproof since you likely will experience rain at some point. Your plan to use something convertible to other forms/layers seems sound.

Our family had different plans with coats. My wife and son had an outer shell and fleece (son used a fleece vest) or sweatshirt combo for the most cool days. I had a packable puffer jacket with hood for those days. A regular jacket worked for me most of the time. On the cruise we mainly did jeans and T shirts, and on a couple of days (looking at you Skagway) it was almost too much. Jeans and a jacket was the main choice, even in May. Only pulled out the heavy packable twice during the 12 day cruise, and only about 2/3 of the work week in October.

We took light hooded sweatshirts, heavier hooded sweatshirts, and rain jackets with us in August. That strategy worked really well. On the coldest day, the double hoodie and rain jacket combination was enough to keep us warm. When we weren't outside as much, the light sweatshirt was fine. Other times, it was one hoodie + rain jacket or just one hoodie, depending on the weather.

Basically, you want layers. Glacier day is cold. And Skagway is very cold when the wind picks up later in the day, but that's just how it is.

I don't know how different June is from late August, though.

A fleece and a nice rain jacket that can be worn together are probably a better option. When we went in May the only chilly day was glacier day. Most port days were in the 60s or 70s.

From June through August, does it tend to be drier towards June or August?

LAX

A fleece and a nice rain jacket that can be worn together are probably a better option. When we went in May the only chilly day was glacier day. Most port days were in the 60s or 70s.
Those temperatures aren't typical. The average high for Juneau in June is only in the low 60s and the average temperature for the day is about 55. Low temperatures tend to be in the 50s. Anyway, glacier day is really chilly. Nights tend to be cold, too, and you'll probably be out on deck for the Frozen show and some other events.

From June through August, does it tend to be drier towards June or August?

LAX
It's drier in June, but it's still pretty wet in June.

A down sweater style puffer jacket is the ideal travel jacket IMO because it works in a wide range of temperatures, is water resistant, and packs down super small. It is insulated and warm but you also won’t overheat in it. I have the cotopaxi one and have taken it to Banff in the winter and a friend of mine wore hers in Alaska in the summer and it was perfect for both those types of trips. I also wore mine to the airport on a winter trip to Florida and then when I got inside stuffed it inside its pocket and basically forgot I had it in my backpack until I got back home. Much easier to travel with than a 3 in 1 type coat.

Layering is the key! I took a Columbia fleece jacket and a Columbia Rain Jacket. I could layer them if it was real cold or just wear the fleece if it was cool but dry, or just the rain jacket if it was cool and rainy.

Layering is the key! I took a Columbia fleece jacket and a Columbia Rain Jacket. I could layer them if it was real cold or just wear the fleece if it was cool but dry, or just the rain jacket if it was cool and rainy.
This is what we did. We've done 2 Alaskan cruises in June. We had really nice weather on both cruises. On our first cruise I wore a heavy jacket and a tshirt on glacier day. On our second cruise I brought the same heavy jacket but never needed it. I wore a tshirt, sweatshirt, and a fleece lined Columbia light weight jacket and was fine. Our friends from Florida were in heavy coats though. We're from Ohio so we're used to really cold weather. If you're going to buy any kind of coat, get an inexpensive one from Walmart since you won't need it after the cruise. You can always buy a sweatshirt on the ship or at port if you need another layer. Also if you do any excursions in the rainforest, get bug repellent wipes. The mosquitoes are huge. We only saw them when we went hiking in a rainforest in Skagway.

From Texas. We have 2 in 1 ski/snowboard coats: inner zip out warmth layer and outer shell that’s water proof. We then wore long sleeve or sweaters underneath if necessary. This was June 2023. It was warmer than expected many days, but I would still take those coats again.

EDIT: The outer shell on ours have hoods, which is great when it rains or is windy or from sea spray on boats.

We live in Phoenix. We did an Alaskan on DCL in June a few years ago. I didn't want to buy a bunch of stuff we wouldn't use again either (esp with growing kids). We went with the layers plan, and I bought rain coats and waterproof/resistant hiking type of shoes (needed to make sure we'd be ok for ziplining in Skagway). Three days in, the kids were complaining that we packed too much cold weather clothing, and I was in the laundry room washing shorts and short-sleeved t-shirts. Be prepared for any kind of weather, and be prepared to do laundry to accommodate its whims!

Weather is unpredictable, but I would bring a light water proof windbreaker type jacket and layer underneath if it is cold.
We have done two Alaska cruises and caught a "heat wave" both times. Spend a lot of time on the top deck in shorts and a tee shirt, and have a great photo of me and my kids in the pool, steaming rising, with the glacier in the background.

Early July this year we were very glad we had packed for all four seasons. Hated having to pack so much/take so much luggage, but it was worth it as we needed it all!

I think part of it depends on what type of excursions you're doing. We sailed Alaska in late August 2012. In Juneau, it was 70 mid day. No jacket needed then. Our excursion was a trek on Mendenhall glacier and our meeting time was 7am at the pier. Due to the higher elevation and wind, it was more like 30 and felt around 20 on the glacier. I had disposible toe warmers, leather hiking boots, fleece shirt and a Columbia coat, and down mittens. It was bitter cold to have to change memory cards in my camera which of course filled while we were on the glacier.

I had every intention of bringing an empty water bottle to taste a sample of glacier water. In our rush to get ourselves & kids ready, be finished breakfast and be on the dock before 7, I forgot the water bottles. Once on the glacier, we had to use our hands to scoop us a taste. I had to let it go; it was way too cold to get my hands wet. :cold: Dh and our kids tried it and liked it.

Last edited:
I think part of it depends on what type of excursions you're doing. We sailed Alaska in late August 2012. In Juneau, it was 70 mid day. No jacket needed then. Our excursion was a trek on Mendenhall glacier and our meeting time was 7am at the pier. Due to the higher elevation and wind, it was more like 30 and felt around 20 on the glacier. I had disposible toe warmers, leather hiking boots, fleece shirt and a Columbia coat, and down mittens. It was bitter cold to have to change memory cards in my camera which of course filled while we were on the glacier.

I had every intention of bringing an empty water bottle to taste a sample of glacier water. In our rush to get ourselves & kids ready, be finished breakfast and be on the dock before 7, I forgot the water bottles. Once on the glacier, we had to use our hands to scoop us a taste. I had to let it go; it was way to cold to get my hands wet. :cold: Dh and our kids tried it and liked it.
You make an excellent point. Just being on ship or walking around the ports, we didn’t really need to bundle up much. It was warmer than normal. However, we did the helicopter/dogsledding up on the glacier and absolutely needed everything, including the waterproof pants I bought for our Patagonia trip, which I used but probably didn’t need for that trip. We are wussy Texans though. I was really glad we brought our waterproof hiking boots, because it was kind of dirty and dusty/muddy, even in port. That way our regular shoes weren’t constantly dirty or wet.

We've been in Alaska over the summer and as PP's point out, temps can be unpredictable. The advice about bringing layers is sound. What's great is jacket/thermal "technology" has really evolved over the years and you can find really versatile pieces that are warm, on the thinner side and that pack well. I'm a huge fan of Helly Hansen jackets - lightweight, not bulky and pack really well. I would get one outer, waterproof jacket (not bulky), bring a sweatshirt, maybe a thermal shirt, hat, gloves and two pairs of warmer socks (again, find thermal ones that aren't thick. Price shop online for good deals!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter