Coaxing a hesitant cruiser

That is why I asked. My wife is a huge Titanic-phile (the disaster, not the movie) from well before the movie was released. My personal favorite Titanic-related movie is "A Night to Remember". We treat the 1997 movie as a historical drama and definitely not a documentary. As a Naval Officer and an engineer, I like to use the disaster as an example of how tragedy has made us much safer, especially 105+ years later.
Gotcha. I did just now ask the 12 yo if she's heard of the movie. She said yes, but she doesn't know anyone who has seen it - it's just too old of a movie at this point for anyone her age to care to watch it, I guess. It would be darned near impossible for a kid to get to (almost, she starts in Aug) 7th grade without having some knowledge of the Titanic disaster, though, and we definitely did use her concerns to talk about the enormous safety differences between that sailing and modern cruise ship sailing.

I was truly expecting this to be a thread about adults who are reluctant. That is what we are encountering in our family, those who automatically feel they will be seasick without ever having been on the water in any type of craft, nor having experienced motion sickness on other forms of transportation. This one person is keeping 21 other family members from having a family cruise.
I was in the Navy, nobody has ever not recovered from queasiness within 24 hours that I've seen. They'll get their sea legs & be just fine.

I went ahead and booked the cruise before telling my kids and Mom. Sadly my Mom is terrified of ships and for a while had my kids convinced that it would sink like the Titanic (she refuses to go with us) . I started watching YouTube videos of the cruise on my own while getting ready for work. At first they would run out of my bathroom because they refused to even think about the cruise. After watching hundreds of videos, they saw one with kids that caught their attention. Now they are super excited about the Pirates League, Midship Detective Agency and the Stingray adventure. They are even packing their own luggage for the cruise. I also had to talk to them about how they may or may not get seasick (they usually get carsick). They are ok with knowing they have to wear Seabands and maybe take Bonine/Dramamine throughout the trip. It was a lot easier to chose the Port Adventures and activities because they already know what they are looking forward to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter