Cockroaches in Hotels

It sucks and isn't pleasant to find an "invader" in your room, but the warmer climates are just more hospitable for bugs. I can say that we have stayed on property many times, at all three levels of resorts, hotel and DVC sides, and the only time we've every seen one in our room was at AKL-Jambo. It probably came in off the balcony while we were in and out looking at animals. We trapped it under a glass and stopped by the front desk that morning to let them know. They thanked us for not shuffling it back out onto the balcony/savannah. Thought that was interesting!

My wife is afraid of bugs. Do what she did...get a man.
Seriously, travel with someone who does not have a phobia and have he/she/them check the room upon each entry and to be prepared to use a shoe and paper towel.

The first floor room is the only time we had one of those bugs at Pop. Same trip there was a small frog in the toilet. Up here we called them water bugs, and I remember in our apartment complex they would hide around puddles and moist areas. As a kid, one time while playing tag I jumped from some steps into the middle of a fairly large puddle, and about 50 of them ran out in every direction.

I'm going to share a bit here in sympathy--I have a deadly fear of bedbugs. Not just because they bite, but because they're $$$$ to get rid of. So, our alternative was to buy a small camper and camp at the Fort. I know this isn't everyone's cuppa Joe, but it was the only (and I mean ONLY) way I'll stay away from home. We went to my s/o's son's house as a stop before getting to Fla, and I was in a sweat that whole time (and I know they didn't have those dang bloodsucking undead monsters). I don't know your living arragements, or a camper/RV is a doable thing (maybe buy a tent with a portable air conditioner?) but it's the only thing saved my love of travel.

Years ago we were staying at the BC and I was out on my 3rd floor balcony. I look over and saw this HUGE snake make it's way up the decks onto another 3rd flood balcony. I don't really know my snakes but it was python huge. I always look out on my deck before I open the door now. Nope, nope, nope.
Welp, this has officially become the phobias on vacay at Disney World post because as soon as I saw "snake" in the replies I thought, "Wait? WhAT?! I'm never going to Disney again!" While I have a healthy respect for snakes, as a gardener living where there are so few venomous snakes, I'm am skeeved out by the way they move and blend into the ground so at times I almost step on garters in the spring. I've tried to face the fear but they're just creepy. Thanks, Biblical upbringing LOL

I'm going to share a bit here in sympathy--I have a deadly fear of bedbugs. Not just because they bite, but because they're $$$$ to get rid of. So, our alternative was to buy a small camper and camp at the Fort. I know this isn't everyone's cuppa Joe, but it was the only (and I mean ONLY) way I'll stay away from home. We went to my s/o's son's house as a stop before getting to Fla, and I was in a sweat that whole time (and I know they didn't have those dang bloodsucking undead monsters). I don't know your living arragements, or a camper/RV is a doable thing (maybe buy a tent with a portable air conditioner?) but it's the only thing saved my love of travel.
Yes, we were discussing this in the carpet vs laminated vinyl floor hotel debate. And the conclusion is that RV is the only way to go if you don't want germs.

Haven’t seen a roach in any of the rooms, but I did get buzzed by one at the front entrance to the Boardwalk Inn...,, it startled me, cause I had no clue what this ginormous thing was that was swooping at my face

I agree with the above suggestion to stay on as high a floor as possible. Also, you could contact Pop Century ahead of time, let them know your concern, and ask them to do pest control before you arrive.

Another option if you don't want to stay offsite in a place where you'd need a car, is to stay at one of the Disney Springs hotels. At least in the pre-covid times, they had their own free shuttle to the parks. Not sure about now.

I agree if you have to stay at Pop , call the hotel a day prior to checkin and request your room to be treated for pests.

We usually stay at deluxe resorts and in 10+trips, have never seen one bug - not even a mosquito in any of our hotel rooms.
We usually stay on floor 3 or higher, never ground level. We also rarely open the balcony doors - and then only during the day.

I hate, hate bugs too. Only encountered one very snalll roach in all our 20+ years of traveling. In Turks and Caicos staying At a room on the ground floor. It skittered under the dishwasher. Uug

Everyone has something that terrifies them - no shame in your fear. Like others have posted therapy can help you navigate and hopefully greatly reduce- if not conquer your fear. Good luck & happy trip!

Dang, I must be the luckiest person who visits Florida. I have been going for over 25 years and I see them outside all the time but never had them in any of my rooms at WDW. I have also stayed at all levels of the resorts.
Ditto. I don't recall any roaches in any of my 2 dozen trips. Just lucky I guess.

Never seen a roach in my resort room in my trips to WDW in the past 10 years in 30 plus stays. Now, I did have a small frog one time! And yes, the occasional love bug(s). I do see roaches around some of the outdoor trash cans at the resorts on occasion. I always request to be away from the elevator and on a higher floor, so that may contribute.

Never seen a roach in my resort room in my trips to WDW in the past 10 years in 30 plus stays. Now, I did have a small frog one time! And yes, the occasional love bug(s). I do see roaches around some of the outdoor trash cans at the resorts on occasion. I always request to be away from the elevator and on a higher floor, so that may contribute.

I always request to be on a high floor and away from the roaches. That seems to help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter