Coke - what do you call it in your area?

What would you refer to coke as?

• Fizzy drink

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fizzy pop

• Pop

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Soda

Votes: 50 38.8%
  • Coke

Votes: 38 29.5%
  • Soft drink

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • The Devil's handiwork

• Anything I missed out?

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters
Pop but it’s more like do you have Pepsi or Coke products.

For fizzy drinks in general, we usually say soda (although pop sneaks in every now and then), as in, “I am going to buy some soda for the weekend.”. Otherwise, we call them by their specific name, i.e., Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, 7Up, etc., as in “Would you bring me a Coke from the kitchen please?”. There are some parts of the country that refer to all fizzy drinks as a Coke, but for us Coke is a Coca-Cola only.

For fizzy drinks in general, we usually say soda (although pop sneaks in every now and then), as in, “I am going to buy some soda for the weekend.”. Otherwise, we call them by their specific name, i.e., Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, 7Up, etc., as in “Would you bring me a Coke from the kitchen please?”. There are some parts of the country that refer to all fizzy drinks as a Coke, but for us Coke is a Coca-Cola only.
Like in Texas. I got so confused in McAllen when they asked me what I wanted: Coke, Sprite-Coke, Orange-Coke, etc. I thought that it was Coke mixed with those things, not the things themselves. It also didn't help that I was trying to order (and understand the server) in broken Spanish.

Soda

You can choose from Coke, Pepsi, Root Beer, etc.

Soda does not include seltzer or tonic, etc.

Soda is a flavored carbonated beverage, likely sweetened.

Soda where I live.
Family in Missouri calls is sodie or pop.
Family in Texas calls every soft drink Dr. Pepper. "What kind of Dr. Pepper do you want? Orange Soda"
Family in Georgia calls every soft drink Coke "What kind of coke do you want? Pepsi"

If I live to be 100, I’ll still never understand why this is a thing.
Me either.
Just like I don't understand why Pepsi dropped their lemon lime soda Sierra Mist, and replaced it with a lemon line soda called Starry. A friend was crushed that they dropped Sierra Mist, but after trying Starry she says it seems the same to her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter