Cold weather advice needed

Suz333

Mouseketeer
Everyone from up north and the Midwest- go ahead and laugh now! Our low temperatures the next three nights will be 34, 31, and 35. (We’re in Stone Mountain, GA - these lows are more common in December/January.)

We have a weekend trip planned in three weeks, so we haven’t winterized it yet. It’s parked in our driveway. We can connect it to power, we could add water to the tanks and turn the tank heaters on, we could run the propane heater, we could run the electric fireplace.

Are any of the steps above needed? If we were camping we would do all of the above to keep us and the cats warm, and as a better safe than sorry measure. We just aren’t sure at what temperature any of those steps are needed. The black tank has three gallons of water plus Happy Camper treatment, the other tanks are empty and the water lines might have some residual water left.

We’re a little hesitant to run the propane heater when we aren’t in the camper and can’t hear the leak detector if it went off.

We’re watching YouTube videos, but they all seem to be from people actively camping and talking about temps in the teens.

Thanks in advance! Our camper is a fifth wheel (2020 Grand Design Reflection 28BH if that makes a difference.)

I'll stick my nose out there, @Suz333, since I'm in Tuscaloosa, AL and have similar cold temps coming up at night this week.

Keep in mind that those low temps actually occur just before sunrise. The sunset time is the last heat the air will get for a few hours and the temps will fall during the evening/early morning hours. So you won't be at those lows for long (an hour or two) before the sun rises and temps start to warm up into the high 30s.

IMO I think you will be fine to take no action this week.

The problems crop up when you anticipate being below freezing for several hours overnight (meaning a low temp at night in the 20s or lower). My popup is stored in a garage (unheated) so it's out of the wind. I've had a popup for almost 20 years (this is my 2nd trailer) and this has been my approach with no problems.

I think you'll be fine. If you're not camping any more this fall after your trip in 3 weeks, when you come back would be the time to winterize.

You should be fine IMO.

Bama Ed

Thanks!

We’re thinking we’ll spend some time in there tomorrow afternoon/evening and at least run the fireplace and open the cabinet doors. We need to do some prep before the trip, anyhow.

Plus we have a yellow jacket issue on our back porch, which we THOUGHT would be resolved yesterday but apparently that visit by pest control was just to look at it. (This is the 3rd visit for that, grrrr.) So, we couldn’t be on the porch last night, and those steaks we thawed need grilling. So, we’ll use the SoloStove firepit grill plate in the driveway instead of the Weber that’s next to the yellow jacket nest.

So, three birds with one stone - yay!

We live in Ontario, Canada and before our trip to The Fort this past April we left the cabinet doors open with the furnace on at approximately 50 degrees for the week preceding our departure just to be safe. We didn't dewinterize until just before we left on April 19th. We were OK.

I live outside St Louis. Just got back from Key West Sunday and the overnight lows since Sunday have been in the 20s. The coach is sitting in the driveway, plugged in with the thermostat set on 50. I flip the furnaces on before I go to bed and back off in the morning when the temps are back in the mid 30s. I also turned the water heater on electric since mine sits all the way at the back of the coach in the bottom corner of the bedroom closet.

We should be back above freezing after tonight. We have one more trip planned at the end of the month. I'll be pumping pink stuff after that. 😢

j

Well, back on the Midwest rollercoaster. Upper 20s Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. 84 yesterday and we will be in the 80s until Tuesday. Record high today is 86, they are forecasting 85.

Should be back to normal after Tuesday (upper 40s for lows to upper 60s during the day)

j

Last week it snowed twice and the weekend temps were in the mid 70's. Welcome to MI where the weather is as erratic as the people.

You will be fine, 31 is nothing to worry about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter