College entrance cheating scandal

Really? Even if she's not listening intently to what a lawyer says, or if she has a lawyer with a different strategy, I'd have thought she would have had a top notch PR consultant onboard to advise regarding the course to steer regarding her career, particularly after the coverage of her initial court appearance was so negative. She's gonna have to branch out to a completely different type of roles and audience if she ever hopes to resume her career.

It could be the strategy of her (bad) PR person. They might feel it's good to show that not everyone is against her, or have forgiven her. And that other people should do the same.

I wonder if either Lori Loughlin or her "influencer" daughter is responsible for the misspellings on signs in Minneapolis concerning the basketball Final 4.

1libil.jpg

http://www.startribune.com/nicollet...or-misspelling-of-liability-waiver/508009432/

Not every person involved/arrested/indicted/suspected/etc. is a wealthy celebrity or business owner - not that any person's net worth should determine their sentence.

Could not agree more and it be a wonderful world if it were true, but unfortunately that is not the world we live in. The originators of the scheme will pay a price, probably the worst of it will be using the non profit to launder the money and tax evasion. As for the wealthy and popular that participated invariably they will no doubt just get fines and hand slaps. That is the unfortunate reality of the world we live in. The other worst hit will no doubt be the coaches of the lesser sports that vouched for some of these kids as being part of their teams to get them admission. They are folks who did not make much money until the bribes. They will forfeit all that and be unable to hire top dollar representation and pay the price for their wrongdoing. But the money will assure those who paid to get their kids in will get away with no harm other than that in the court of public opinion.

I am not excusing any ones actions as it was a lousy deal. However, it is another scandal that will no doubt blow over quickly to be replaced by the next outrage of the day.

TMZ Live just reported that the MA prosecutors have stated that any plea deal presented to them by Lori Loughlin & Felicity Huffman MUST have some prison time included.

In the end, the judge will decide the sentencing.

And if they do go to some prison, it will be one like the one Martha Stewart went to.

And somehow I don't think their reputations will be able to come back like Martha Stewart's has.

Well, they could get a fellow inmate to crochet a fabulous, stylish poncho for them as they get out of prison. :scratchin Remember when Martha wore this as she got out? We knew right away that Martha was BACK and in style for more entertaining already. It was like she didn't even miss a beat. :lmao:

I don't look this stylish every day, let alone getting out of prison. :upsidedow

12-11-martha-prison-2.jpg

Last edited:

As for the wealthy and popular that participated invariably they will no doubt just get fines and hand slaps.
Local news just reported Huffman has been fined $15,000 and Loughlin $500,000 (the respective amounts that each paid for their child's admission advantage), and that they and all the parents still face jail. Charge is bribery.
And somehow I don't think their reputations will be able to come back like Martha Stewart's has.
Huffman might.

Well, they could get a fellow inmate to crochet a fabulous, stylish poncho for them as they get out of prison. :scratchin Remember when Martha wore this as she got out? We knew right away that Martha was BACK and in style for more entertaining already. It was like she didn't even miss a beat. :lmao:

I don't look this stylish every day, let alone getting out of prison. :upsidedow

12-11-martha-prison-2.jpg

The problem is, actresses lose popularity as they age (not as many roles available.) Martha and her minions' entertaining ideas tend to hang around longer, even tho Martha did lose that Christmas-in-prison decorating contest.

Huffman might.

I'm thinking the same thing. Felicity had a different audience as she has more range. She disappears for a couple years till all this blows over and all the kids in college now that this affects are out of college. Then all she has to do is play a great role of a mom so desperate to do something for her child, that it ends up ruining her life, her standing in the community & marriage. (Basically what she's going through now.) Yet the audience is very sympathetic and comes around to being on her side as they understand WHY she did it. :grouphug: And she's back in. :thumbsup2

Lori Loughlin, on the other hand, only played fluffy, moral roles. She had a different branding. I think her career is toast.

Local news just reported Huffman has been fined $15,000 and Loughlin $500,000 (the respective amounts that each paid for their child's admission advantage), and that they and all the parents still face jail. Charge is bribery.

Do you have a link for this? TMZ, the Associated Press & CNN, nor any other link I could Google do not have this info. They all said the women have appeared in court today. But did NOT have to enter a plea. (Some other parents pled guilty today.) Felicity said she understood how serious the charges were against her. Both women did surrender their passports.

CNN's latest update at 6:16pm is: "The defendants are each charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud [. . .] In court, they acknowledged their rights, charges, and maximum possible penalties. They waived a pretrial hearing, signed conditions of their release, and were free to leave."

Last edited:
What about Lori's husband, is in court today too? I don't like that the mom's seem to be the ones in the most trouble when obviously the dads were involved too!

Huffman might.
I don't think either has been fined
in relation to this federal court case. They haven't gone to trial yet.

Last edited:
I haven't read through all of the replies, but this just seems like one symptom of a much larger problem in the U.S., I don't know if there's one specific word to use, but it's basically this cavalier, everyone for themselves attitude, where it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you get ahead of others, by any means necessary. I've heard that part of it is the "me" generation? A time when people were told to focus on themselves and not worry about others, or being a community, etc.

I've been to other countries where you don't see any of that.

It's difficult to function as a progressive society where people are doing this kind of activity, and it's not being stopped, and more damaging, many people don't care. We even have "reality" TV shows, court shows, etc. to show the seedy underbelly (scripted or not) of society. Instead of trying to improve ourselves, lots of people are just trying to get ahead by pushing others down, laughing at others misery and misfortune, and losing the entire point of self-awareness and improvement in the process.

sorry, getting off my soapbox now

Yep. :thumbsup2 That's what I reported earlier when they went live on TMZ Live. Harvey said he is personally staying on top of this one, (instead of one of the other producers.) He's got TMZ reporters at the courthouse in MA. So, I was surprised there was no update about fines already, when the 2 women hadn't even entered any pleas for fines to be decided.

TMZ Live just reported that the MA prosecutors have stated that any plea deal presented to them by Lori Loughlin & Felicity Huffman MUST have some prison time included.

And if they do go to some prison, it will be one like the one Martha Stewart went to.

I would absolutely love for them to see jail time. Monetary punishments mean nothing to these people!

What about Lori's husband, is in court today too? I don't like that the mom's seem to be the ones in the most trouble when obviously the dads were involved too!

He was there too and was read the charges. I think the media is focusing on her because she is the more famous. I vaguely remembered his name when they said he was a clothing designer. Then I remembered his name is on some labels of Target clothing I own. But, he hasn't designed for Target in a few years. Otherwise, his name would now be dragged through the mud too.

As for William H. Macy, he was implicated in either phone calls or emails Felicity wrote. But, he hadn't written any emails of his own, or made any phone calls that were recorded and catching him committing a crime. According to my unprofessional, "TV legal dramas" experience ;) even though Felicity said he knew about what was going on, it's considered Hearsay (talking about someone in the third person,) and not admissible in court. So he hasn't been charged with any crime. Plus, I think if they were going to try to charge him, if they could, Felicity would throw herself under the bus for him and say she lied. That he really didn't know any of what she was doing. She only said he knew. Their marriage is tight. It's bad enough one of them would be going to prison. And one career ruined.

I can't find any report that says he went to court with Felicity. She came alone with her lawyers. It could be that his PR people or her lawyers are trying to distance him from this. He still is a star of the show Shameless, which is coming back for a 9th season.

Last edited:
Today was the preliminary hearing for the official reading of the charges to the defendants. The two actresess got all the press but I believe all the accused parents were in court. No one can be fined yet because there has been no trial. What was done today was the judge continued their bail at the amounts posted. Whether they are convicted or not the money posted for bail is returned if you show up for everything. Laughlin actually put up her Hollywood house against her bail. Prosecuters are talking tough and that's great but at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding and we will see what comes from the trials. Judge also instructed the defendants that they can have contact and speak with their kids but should limit discussing the case because the kids are potential witnesses in the trial.

Let the show begin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter