College Football 2023-Year of The Dawgs?

I am SHOCKED!

Lots of "experts" were so sure it would be FSU.

I am predicting an Alabama v. Texas rematch for the NC.

The FSU AD is NOT happy!

His SCATHING response to the decision:

Here’s his full statement, via 247 Sports:

“The consequences of giving in to a narrative of the moment are destructive, far reaching, and permanent. Not just for Florida State, but college football as a whole.”

“The argument of whether a team is the ‘most deserving OR best’ is a false equivalence. It renders the season up to yesterday irrelevant and significantly damages the legitimacy of the College Football Playoff. The 2023 Florida State Seminoles are the epitome of a total TEAM. To eliminate them from a chance to compete for a national championship is an unwarranted injustice that shows complete disregard and disrespect for their performance and accomplishments. It is unforgiveable.”

“The fact that this team has continued to close out victories in dominant fashion facing our current quarterback situation should have ENHANCED our case to get a playoff berth EARNED on the field. Instead, the committee decided to elevate themselves and ‘make history’ today by departing from what makes this sport great by excluding an undefeated Power 5 conference champion for the first time since the advent of the BCS/CFP era that began 25 years ago. This ridiculous decision is a departure from the competitive expectations that have stood the test of time in college football.”

“Wins matter. Losses matter. Those that compete in the arena know this. Those on the committee who also competed in the sport and should have known this have forgotten it. Today, they changed the way success is assessed in college football, from a tangible metric — winning on the field — to an intangible, subjective one. Evidently, predicting the future matters more.”

“For many of us, today’s decision by the committee has forever damaged the credibility of the institution that is the College Football Playoff. And, saddest of all, it was self-inflicted. They chose predictive competitiveness over proven performance; subjectivity over fact. They have become a committee of prognosticators. They have abandoned their responsibility by discarding their purpose – to evaluate performance on the field.”

“Our players, coaches, and fans —
as well as all those who love this sport — deserve better. The committee failed college football today.”
Kind of hard to argue SOS though. 5 vs 55. Alabama is the SEC champion. Does anyone legitimately think FSU, with their #2 QB, would beat Alabama? Maybe 5% of the time? If it is true the CFB's goal was to pick the "Best Four", I think they've done that.

They should only be upset with themselves. They controlled their own destiny and couldn't pull it off.
True …but out of the teams complaining, none of them are better than Georgia. I don’t even think Michigan is better. That FSU team wouldn’t stand a chance against them.

Not shocked. Bama always gets favoritism. I honestly don’t know what the obsession is 🤷‍♀️.
I heard just the opposite. The selection committee was interested in highlighting teams from outside the SEC -for the season it looked like they would be “stuck” with Georgia until Alabama fouled that up. There was no way they wanted two like in the past, they were looking for “balance” this year going into next years 12-team format.

I can't be upset. It just speeds up the process of turning college football into a worse and minor league form of pro football, since it's just the programs that pay the players the most and have those "paid" superstars that will get in.

I mean, a team has a 6th year QB and plays an off-the-wall awesome year from QB 1 to QB 3...and they get left out for 2 one loss teams. It's not about the games anymore - it's about the star players and lucrative alumni bases and tv contracts.

I expect this to implode in about a decade b/c what can't go on...doesn't...

It's why I quit watching when paid players became a thing. To know that a good QB in the transfer line costs $1-2M, minimum...well, colleges that care about academics won't be in that derby...

The committee, abandoned on the field results and abandoned its job of evaluating such in favor of playing swami or pundit. They abandoned objectivity as to who earned the spot in the playoff and instead substituted their own subjective and biased criteria of who they think would play better. For the record, I think Alabama will play better but that doesn't mean they earned their way in. And if anything regarding FSU, winning with their second string, and then third string QB should have enhanced FSU's chances, not decreased them. And to do this all on the claim that the "best" team should go instead of the most deserving is a false dichotomy used as an excuse. The whole season is supposed to matter. But it doesn't. They wanted Alabama. They rationalized it. And College football is the worse for it. Although I suppose we should thank the committee. For proving yet again what a biased and corrupt process it is and always has been. College basketball is the same when it comes to the selection process. But at least in that sport there are enough participants in the tournament that we know neither the last team into the tournament, or the teams that got jobbed were going to win it anyway. Until CFB has required scheduling (like the NFL) and objective criteria and tie breakers for getting into the playoffs (like the NFL) or has enough participants in a genuine playoff to know that neither the last teams in or the team that got jobbed were going to win, CFB's national title will always lack credibility.

Why? Two Major factors in the decision are strength of schedule and the team “right now”. FSU loses on both of those points. We’re talking #5 strength vs. #55 …their conference is weak. I may be biased but I think most fans consider the SEC a premier, if not the best, conference. Who would suggest that the winner of the best conference doesn’t get in -that’s ridiculous! If anyone should be upset it’s Georgia….
In none of the 4 major professional sports in the U.S. is the team right now any criteria whatsoever to get into the playoffs. All the criteria are published, known before the season starts, and applied. As for schedule, that so called weak conference went 6-4 vs the SEC. The ACC is also 10-9 vs the other power 5 conferences, the SEC 7-9. Speaking of schedules, Georgia? Should be upset? That's funny. Georgia has no legit argument whatsoever. Their schedule was a complete joke and everyone knew it going in. Let's have a look at Georgia's road schedule shall we? @Auburn, @tennessee, @ Ga Tech, @Vanderbilt. HAHAHA. Complete joke. Let's look at Georgia's OOC shall we? Ball St., UT Martin, UAB, @ Ga Tech. HAHAHAHA. Joke. In conference they got to skip LSU (Whom Florida St. demolished and one of those tough opponents Alabama fans keep talking about) and they got to skip Alabama until the title game which they lost. Georgia's best win is Missouri, who themselves curiously got to skip Alabama and Ole Miss but whom LSU beat. Aww and therein is the SEC's dirty little secret. That so-called gauntlet isn't really a gauntlet when many of the better teams never have to play each other. Further, the SEC schedules such that said games aren't back to back. The SEC conveniently let Alabama schedule OOC powerhouse Chattanooga the week before their rivalry game. Tennessee and LSU back to back is decent. Oh wait. They got a week off between those two games. And conveniently, they got South Florida in between Texas and Ole Miss. But back to Georgia. They have no legit argument. None. Everyone knew that Georgia had to run that schedule including the SEC title game. Even Georgia knew it. And none of us that knew it turned out wrong. Sure Auburn wasn't as good as we thought and Missouri was better. But in total, that schedule was still nothing to write home about. And they didn't run it.

Not shocked. Bama always gets favoritism. I honestly don’t know what the obsession is 🤷‍♀️.
In baseball tie goes to the runner. In the CFB selection process, tie goes to the SEC, unless it's Bama. With Bama it's well the runner was within 5 feet of first when the first baseman caught the ball and stepped on the bag so let's give em the hit anyway. It's easy to win a lot of national titles when you're getting in all the time with preferential treatment. And it's easier to not play tight and win during the season when you know you've got a cushion to drop 1 than when you don't.

I've made peace with it. The committee's stated job is to pick the four best teams, not the four most deserving teams. I think FSU was more deserving, but I think you can make the case that Alabama is a better team. As a Michigan fan I would rather play FSU, so that tells me which one that *I* think is better.

For what it's worth SP+ has them tied--and unlike the committee, SP+ does not consider player availability. So I can't get too upset about it. One of these two was going to be left out, and you can make a case for either one of them in a bunch of different ways.

7. Alabama (12-1) 23.7 37.1 (11) 15.4 (9) 2.0 (2)
8. Florida St. (13-0) 23.7 36.2 (16) 14.3 (7) 1.9 (7)

For the record, I think Alabama will play better but that doesn't mean they earned their way in.
Multiple people have mentioned that the stated purpose of the committee going back the decade they've been in existence is to field the four best teams. Assuming that to be the case, does anyone think FSU would beat Alabama? YOU even admit Alabama is the better team.

Alabama DIDN'T earn their way in? They knocked off the two time defending national championship. You might think FSU deserved a shot, but to say Alabama didn't EARN it is nothing but sour grapes.

As far as the 10 SEC vs ACC games, who were the teams? Beating Vandy or Arkansas isn't saying much. Heck, Kentucky beat Louisville AT Louisville, and UL was in the ACC Championship.

The committee, abandoned on the field results and abandoned its job of evaluating such in favor of playing swami or pundit. They abandoned objectivity as to who earned the spot in the playoff and instead substituted their own subjective and biased criteria of who they think would play better. For the record, I think Alabama will play better but that doesn't mean they earned their way in. And if anything regarding FSU, winning with their second string, and then third string QB should have enhanced FSU's chances, not decreased them. And to do this all on the claim that the "best" team should go instead of the most deserving is a false dichotomy used as an excuse. The whole season is supposed to matter. But it doesn't. They wanted Alabama. They rationalized it. And College football is the worse for it. Although I suppose we should thank the committee. For proving yet again what a biased and corrupt process it is and always has been. College basketball is the same when it comes to the selection process. But at least in that sport there are enough participants in the tournament that we know neither the last team into the tournament, or the teams that got jobbed were going to win it anyway. Until CFB has required scheduling (like the NFL) and objective criteria and tie breakers for getting into the playoffs (like the NFL) or has enough participants in a genuine playoff to know that neither the last teams in or the team that got jobbed were going to win, CFB's national title will always lack credibility.

In none of the 4 major professional sports in the U.S. is the team right now any criteria whatsoever to get into the playoffs. All the criteria are published, known before the season starts, and applied. As for schedule, that so called weak conference went 6-4 vs the SEC. The ACC is also 10-9 vs the other power 5 conferences, the SEC 7-9. Speaking of schedules, Georgia? Should be upset? That's funny. Georgia has no legit argument whatsoever. Their schedule was a complete joke and everyone knew it going in. Let's have a look at Georgia's road schedule shall we? @Auburn, @tennessee, @ Ga Tech, @Vanderbilt. HAHAHA. Complete joke. Let's look at Georgia's OOC shall we? Ball St., UT Martin, UAB, @ Ga Tech. HAHAHAHA. Joke. In conference they got to skip LSU (Whom Florida St. demolished and one of those tough opponents Alabama fans keep talking about) and they got to skip Alabama until the title game which they lost. Georgia's best win is Missouri, who themselves curiously got to skip Alabama and Ole Miss but whom LSU beat. Aww and therein is the SEC's dirty little secret. That so-called gauntlet isn't really a gauntlet when many of the better teams never have to play each other. Further, the SEC schedules such that said games aren't back to back. The SEC conveniently let Alabama schedule OOC powerhouse Chattanooga the week before their rivalry game. Tennessee and LSU back to back is decent. Oh wait. They got a week off between those two games. And conveniently, they got South Florida in between Texas and Ole Miss. But back to Georgia. They have no legit argument. None. Everyone knew that Georgia had to run that schedule including the SEC title game. Even Georgia knew it. And none of us that knew it turned out wrong. Sure Auburn wasn't as good as we thought and Missouri was better. But in total, that schedule was still nothing to write home about. And they didn't run it.

In baseball tie goes to the runner. In the CFB selection process, tie goes to the SEC, unless it's Bama. With Bama it's well the runner was within 5 feet of first when the first baseman caught the ball and stepped on the bag so let's give em the hit anyway. It's easy to win a lot of national titles when you're getting in all the time with preferential treatment. And it's easier to not play tight and win during the season when you know you've got a cushion to drop 1 than when you don't.
Good gravy. You should look at the rules instead of making things up. The committee’s task is to chose the best teams. Now I agree that the rules are nebulous and in the end, right or wrong, it is a mostly subjective exercise as there are few common opponents. The fact is that prior performance affects these subjective opinions. SEC teams are 16-5 in the history of the playoff. SEC teams have won six of nine titles. Someone needs to show me where the Committee has been wrong when it comes to the SEC.

I follow an SEC team but do not root for the conference. I would like nothing more than for Saban/Alabama to lose. I do find it amusing that so many despise the SEC to the point they create conspiracy theories- “The fix is in! The referees are on the take!” They become absolutely unhinged, like in the post above, and I do find it funny how frustrated they get when the SEC wins (which in football is almost always.)

I am quite certain that Michigan coaches, players and fans are puckering just a bit and would much rather face Florida State than Alabama.

That's why I love LSU fans. None of this South shall rise again we're for the SEC nonsense. Just good ole fashioned animosity. Bama's a rival, forget them. That is how it should be. And we all know what non dis friendly words LSU fans would use instead of forget.

Eh, not so much as it might appear. It's not that we're not conference-loyal; we really are in most respects. However, we are presently carrying a very specific grudge against a very specific person: Nick Saban. He did LSU *very* dirty when he left the University, and because of the way his contract was written, that included walking away with a punishing amount of money that the University, and the State of Louisiana, could ill-afford to lose at the time. (And to add insult on injury, he and his wife used his enormous salary to buy up real estate in Baton Rouge, and they hung onto it until after Katrina, so they ended up being a lot of peoples' landlord after he went to Alabama, and were further seen as having taken financial advantage of the worst disaster to have ever befallen the state of Louisiana, though I believe that that timing was largely coincidental. FWIW, they also still own the Mercedes Dealership in Baton Rouge, along with 6 others in Alabama, Florida and Tennessee. Half the high-end boosters in the SEC do business with Saban Inc., in one respect or another, though they may not realize it.)

Absolutely! There are a handful of sec schools that I might support against non sec opponents. Bama is NOT one of them 🤣.
Yep. It's not really about 'Bama the school, or even the team ... at this moment in time; it's about that bleepin' Saban, and will be for as long as he lasts (which for my money, isn't very much longer; he has clearly begun to lose his edge.)

Alabama was our just as much our primary rival in the era of Bear Bryant, but we sincerely mourned when he died. I can guarantee that when it happens to Saban, many a drink will be hoisted in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, but it won't be in tribute; it will be in pure celebration.

---------------
PS: About selection for postseason games. Much as we might like to think that it's purely about which team is best, everyone who is involved in planning and sponsoring these games knows that the local organizing committees do have some influence over the choices. When it comes down to choices that are close, consideration of which teams' supporters will bring more money to the host city does begin to play in. (For example, it's well-known in Louisiana that the Sugar Bowl Organization and Orleans Parish absolutely hate it when LSU is selected for that game. They want fans who will fill hotels and expensive restaurants for several days, not just drive in for the game, maybe spend one night, eat one or at most two big meals, and drive back home. The hotels and restaurants want the extra business, and the Parish wants the tax revenue. They actually tend not to especially love Alabama fans, though, for one specific reason: a large percentage of them are Baptist and CoG and do not drink alcohol. Liquor sales related to the bowl games are a huge boost for the local tax base. Notre Dame is always the Sugar Bowl Committee's favorite team to host: ND fans love escaping the Chicago-area winter, so they stay a long time, and they are known for appreciating high-end liquor, and lots of it.)

Last edited:
Eh, not so much as it might appear. It's not that we're not conference-loyal; we really are in most respects. However, we are presently carrying a very specific grudge against a very specific person: Nick Saban. He did LSU *very* dirty when he left the University, and because of the way his contract was written, that included walking away with a punishing amount of money that the University, and the State of Louisiana, could ill-afford to lose at the time. (And to add insult on injury, he and his wife used his enormous salary to buy up real estate in Baton Rouge, and they hung onto it until after Katrina, so they ended up being a lot of peoples' landlord after he went to Alabama, and were further seen as having taken financial advantage of the worst disaster to have ever befallen the state of Louisiana, though I believe that that timing was largely coincidental. FWIW, they also still own the Mercedes Dealership in Baton Rouge, along with 6 others in Alabama, Florida and Tennessee. Half the high-end boosters in the SEC do business with Saban Inc., in one respect or another, though they may not realize it.)

Yep. It's not really about 'Bama the school, or even the team ... at this moment in time; it's about that bleepin' Saban, and will be for as long as he lasts (which for my money, isn't very much longer; he has clearly begun to lose his edge.)

Alabama was our just as much our primary rival in the era of Bear Bryant, but we sincerely mourned when he died. I can guarantee that when it happens to Saban, many a drink will be hoisted in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, but it won't be in tribute; it will be in pure celebration.
Idk. I know a lot of ppl hold that grudge, but most ppl I know have long disliked Bama! Uga, State, Missouri & on occasion TN are about the only teams I can stomach supporting if they’re not playing LSU. 🤣

GO DAWGS!!

The media tends to overlook us folks tucked away up here in the PNW.

However, I will admit it was pretty cool to the see the #1 college announcing team broadcast a few of our games lately.

GO DAWGS!!

The media tends to overlook us folks tucked away up here in the PNW.

However, I will admit it was pretty cool to the see the #1 college announcing team broadcast a few of our games lately.
Congrats on being the surviving DAWGS!

Ron Desantis has posted a strong condemnation of the Selection Committee and there is a report that the Florida Legislature is considering legislation protesting the decision.WOW!

Excerpts from a USA Today article below-OUCH!

The CFP Selection Committee bowed to its master Greg Sankey. Congratulations, , you run college football. Give the SEC Commissioner his crown and scepter.

The committee tossed aside the sanctity of college football’s regular season and shut out an undefeated Power Five conference champion for the first time to make room for the SEC’s one-loss champion, Alabama, the bluest of bluebloods.

The games always mattered in college football. Results always mattered – right up until the point the SEC was at risk of being left out in the cold.

By shutting Florida State (13-0) out of the playoff after the Seminoles lost their star quarterback to injury in Week 11, the committee embraced the idea of a beauty pageant determining the playoff field.

Alabama sizzled in a fancy outfit and stilletos in its final walk down the catwalk, while Sankey whipped the crowd into a frenzy.

Sankey peacocked and politicked Saturday, telling anyone who would listen that the SEC deserved a playoff auto bid (those aren't supposed to exist yet) because his conference had dominated the playoff era.

The committee obliged. Never mind that nonconference results indicated this is a down season for the SEC, which usually ranks as the nation’s best conference.

The committee probably hated to reject the 'Noles. But, Alabama or FSU had to go. Either the SEC was going to get dumped from the playoff for the first time or an undefeated Power Five champion had to get benched.

Sankey wins. Sankey always wins.

I've made peace with it. The committee's stated job is to pick the four best teams, not the four most deserving teams. I think FSU was more deserving, but I think you can make the case that Alabama is a better team. As a Michigan fan I would rather play FSU, so that tells me which one that *I* think is better.

For what it's worth SP+ has them tied--and unlike the committee, SP+ does not consider player availability. So I can't get too upset about it. One of these two was going to be left out, and you can make a case for either one of them in a bunch of different ways.

7. Alabama (12-1) 23.7 37.1 (11) 15.4 (9) 2.0 (2)
8. Florida St. (13-0) 23.7 36.2 (16) 14.3 (7) 1.9 (7)

The problem was FSU played a weak schedule in a weak conference.

They beat the next best team conference team (Louisville) with a low output effort 16-6 this weekend when they needed to beat them 46-6. Which didn't happen. FSU went 2-for-16 on third downs that game as an example. That's incredibly weak.

The next best conference team (NC State) they didn't play.

So their basic problem was, "they didn't beat nobody" (who mattered). Do we want teams to play weak schedules just to get ZERO losses?

But Ed, you will say, they beat all the teams they played.

Yeah, so did Liberty. That's why Bama schedules a tough OOC schedule like Texas this year (which they lost at home) and Texas last year (where they won in Austin). To be the best you have to beat the best. Like Bama did Georgia on Saturday who is a great team.

Not all Power 5 Conferences and teams within them are equal. Duh.

FSU beat LSU (OOC) who had 3 losses this season (with practically no defense). Was that their best win this season? Kinda lame in the big view.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Gonna float this out there - Washington and Michigan are MILES better than Texas, Georgia and Alabama. So what if Alabama beat Georgia? They didn't beat Washington, Ohio State, Oregon, or Michigan. Frankly, and I said this when it happened, the national champion was decided on a missed field goal the FIRST time Washington beat Oregon. Washington only beat Oregon by 3 the second time they played. I truly believe that Alabama and Georgia have been getting a biased ranking the entire season. Including Texas and FSU in the BCS was the RIGHT thing to do. I think the even bigger tragedy is that the rumored Oregon-Ohio State Cotton bowl isn't happening. I was SOO looking forward to that game! Ohio State playing Arkansas and Oregon playing Liberty? WHY?? The Oregon State v. Notre Dame game is far more compelling.

Meh - what do I know? I am a CPSLO grad with a so-so Div 1 football team. It's never mattered there.

• Wow
Reactions: GAN
The 6 wins ACC teams had against SEC teams? Only two of the SEC schools had winning records. The other three (S. Carolina lost twice) were a combined 12-24.

Gonna float this out there - Washington and Michigan are MILES better than Texas, Georgia and Alabama. So what if Alabama beat Georgia? They didn't beat Washington, Ohio State, Oregon, or Michigan. Frankly, and I said this when it happened, the national champion was decided on a missed field goal the FIRST time Washington beat Oregon. Washington only beat Oregon by 3 the second time they played. I truly believe that Alabama and Georgia have been getting a biased ranking the entire season. Including Texas and FSU in the BCS was the RIGHT thing to do. I think the even bigger tragedy is that the rumored Oregon-Ohio State Cotton bowl isn't happening. I was SOO looking forward to that game! Ohio State playing Arkansas and Oregon playing Liberty? WHY?? The Oregon State v. Notre Dame game is far more compelling.

Meh - what do I know? I am a CPSLO grad with a so-so Div 1 football team. It's never mattered there.
Do you think FSU would beat Alabama?

Gonna float this out there - Washington and Michigan are MILES better than Texas, Georgia and Alabama. So what if Alabama beat Georgia? They didn't beat Washington, Ohio State, Oregon, or Michigan. Frankly, and I said this when it happened, the national champion was decided on a missed field goal the FIRST time Washington beat Oregon. Washington only beat Oregon by 3 the second time they played. I truly believe that Alabama and Georgia have been getting a biased ranking the entire season.

Washington and Michigan are better than Texas, Georgia, and Bama? Based on what?

So what if Bama beat Georgia? Well, Georgia was the CFP Committee's #1 team last week.

SEC teams haven't played WA, Ohio, Oregon, or Mich yet this year. But I agree Alabama and Georgia have been getting a biased ranking the entire season. They've been held down due to SEC fatigue. The SEC has won 6-of-9 natties (AL/GA/LSU) in the CFP with Clemson getting 2 and Ohio 1.

Looking at the bowl games, GA will beat FSU. And that will be the end of that.

Bama Ed

PS - go to ESPN on the Michigan page and find the video of their watch party today when they found out who they would play in the Rose Bowl in a few weeks. They thought they would play FSU but they got Bama and they were not happy. Make sure to turn the sound up on that video. They will have to work harder than they have this year for that win.

Last edited:
Reactions: GAN
Ron Desantis has posted a strong condemnation of the Selection Committee and there is a report that the Florida Legislature is considering legislation protesting the decision.WOW!
What!?! :oops: Being lazy and not looking it up, is that real?

Wait...considering everything going on in politics from the right and left this doesn't surprise me at all. Kinda of sad

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter