College Football 2023-Year of The Dawgs?

Do you think FSU would beat Alabama?
The question shouldn’t be do you think FSU would beat Alabama. It’s more which team would bring a more competitive game against Michigan or Washington. Now if FSU is trotting out the same guy competing in his first ever game for a conference championship, probably not. It’s no shocker that FSU went with a run heavy attack and just leaned on their defense to do the work last night, Louisville also stacked 10 in the box and were basically daring the kid to throw.

But FSU will at least have their 2nd string QB back who played well enough to have the team cover the spread against Florida in that last game. Who knows if they’d be a better team at that point, we won’t now because of this decision.

I have no love lost for FSU, still sucks to see an undefeated power 5 team get left out in favor of not one but two 1-loss teams.

Washington and Michigan are better than Texas, Georgia, and Bama? Based on what?

So what if Bama beat Georgia? Well, Georgia was the CFP Committee's #1 team last week.

SEC teams haven't played WA, Ohio, Oregon, or Mich yet this year. But I agree Alabama and Georgia have been getting a biased ranking the entire season. They've been held down due to SEC fatigue. The SEC has won 6-of-9 natties (AL/GA/LSU) in the CFP with Clemson getting 2 and Ohio 1.

Looking at the bowl games, GA will beat FSU. And that will be the end of that.

Bama Ed

PS - go to ESPN on the Michigan page and find the video of their watch party today when they found out who they would play in the Rose Bowl in a few weeks. They thought they would play FSU but they got Bama and they were not happy. Make sure to turn the sound up on that video. They will have to work harder than they have this year for that win.

Of course, GA will beat FSU. I'm actually shocked FSU accepted a "lower level" bid, but that's probably an ACC requirement since there's so much money in the big bowls. When you get snubbed this badly, it's like the teams who get badly snubbed in the basketball field skipping the NIT - why bother playing.

FSU will go through the motions and enjoy a vacation b/c as a team, they don't care about winning a meaningless game. They were all in on going undefeated and getting a real spot for a title.

This is like playing the Pro Bowl for them.

Edit to Add: Vs GA, who blew it, so this bowl game will be redemption for them.

The committee, abandoned on the field results and abandoned its job of evaluating such in favor of playing swami or pundit. They abandoned objectivity as to who earned the spot in the playoff and instead substituted their own subjective and biased criteria of who they think would play better. For the record, I think Alabama will play better but that doesn't mean they earned their way in. And if anything regarding FSU, winning with their second string, and then third string QB should have enhanced FSU's chances, not decreased them. And to do this all on the claim that the "best" team should go instead of the most deserving is a false dichotomy used as an excuse. The whole season is supposed to matter. But it doesn't. They wanted Alabama. They rationalized it. And College football is the worse for it. Although I suppose we should thank the committee. For proving yet again what a biased and corrupt process it is and always has been. College basketball is the same when it comes to the selection process. But at least in that sport there are enough participants in the tournament that we know neither the last team into the tournament, or the teams that got jobbed were going to win it anyway. Until CFB has required scheduling (like the NFL) and objective criteria and tie breakers for getting into the playoffs (like the NFL) or has enough participants in a genuine playoff to know that neither the last teams in or the team that got jobbed were going to win, CFB's national title will always lack credibility.

In none of the 4 major professional sports in the U.S. is the team right now any criteria whatsoever to get into the playoffs. All the criteria are published, known before the season starts, and applied. As for schedule, that so called weak conference went 6-4 vs the SEC. The ACC is also 10-9 vs the other power 5 conferences, the SEC 7-9. Speaking of schedules, Georgia? Should be upset? That's funny. Georgia has no legit argument whatsoever. Their schedule was a complete joke and everyone knew it going in. Let's have a look at Georgia's road schedule shall we? @Auburn, @tennessee, @ Ga Tech, @Vanderbilt. HAHAHA. Complete joke. Let's look at Georgia's OOC shall we? Ball St., UT Martin, UAB, @ Ga Tech. HAHAHAHA. Joke. In conference they got to skip LSU (Whom Florida St. demolished and one of those tough opponents Alabama fans keep talking about) and they got to skip Alabama until the title game which they lost. Georgia's best win is Missouri, who themselves curiously got to skip Alabama and Ole Miss but whom LSU beat. Aww and therein is the SEC's dirty little secret. That so-called gauntlet isn't really a gauntlet when many of the better teams never have to play each other. Further, the SEC schedules such that said games aren't back to back. The SEC conveniently let Alabama schedule OOC powerhouse Chattanooga the week before their rivalry game. Tennessee and LSU back to back is decent. Oh wait. They got a week off between those two games. And conveniently, they got South Florida in between Texas and Ole Miss. But back to Georgia. They have no legit argument. None. Everyone knew that Georgia had to run that schedule including the SEC title game. Even Georgia knew it. And none of us that knew it turned out wrong. Sure Auburn wasn't as good as we thought and Missouri was better. But in total, that schedule was still nothing to write home about. And they didn't run it.

In baseball tie goes to the runner. In the CFB selection process, tie goes to the SEC, unless it's Bama. With Bama it's well the runner was within 5 feet of first when the first baseman caught the ball and stepped on the bag so let's give em the hit anyway. It's easy to win a lot of national titles when you're getting in all the time with preferential treatment. And it's easier to not play tight and win during the season when you know you've got a cushion to drop 1 than when you don't.
Wow …bitter much! 😂. You put a lot of thought into that one…. Georgia did have an easy schedule(#44) but still better than FSU(who were NOT the same team if you saw any of their last 2 games), I’ll give you that much.

Gonna float this out there - Washington and Michigan are MILES better than Texas, Georgia and Alabama. So what if Alabama beat Georgia? They didn't beat Washington, Ohio State, Oregon, or Michigan. Frankly, and I said this when it happened, the national champion was decided on a missed field goal the FIRST time Washington beat Oregon. Washington only beat Oregon by 3 the second time they played. I truly believe that Alabama and Georgia have been getting a biased ranking the entire season. Including Texas and FSU in the BCS was the RIGHT thing to do. I think the even bigger tragedy is that the rumored Oregon-Ohio State Cotton bowl isn't happening. I was SOO looking forward to that game! Ohio State playing Arkansas and Oregon playing Liberty? WHY?? The Oregon State v. Notre Dame game is far more compelling.

Meh - what do I know? I am a CPSLO grad with a so-so Div 1 football team. It's never mattered there.
Float? That looks more like a sinker to me 😂. Michigan has had two appearances if I recall and they have yet to win a game …that says something in itself. I’m obviously biased, but I’m not expecting anything different in 2024. I LOVE Alabama’s position at 4 with Michigan at 1 …and I’m thinking Saban does as well….

God forbid the SEC sit out just once. Can’t have that.

I don’t get the arguments for Georgia or Alabama or whoever having a tougher schedule than FSU. FSU was ranked BY THE COMMITTEE at #4 last week. If the problem was the schedule, they should have been lower last week. But no, apparently their strength in schedule wasn’t a problem last week, just this week when the poor ol’ SEC just needed to get in.

I don’t get the arguments for Georgia or Alabama or whoever having a tougher schedule than FSU. FSU was ranked BY THE COMMITTEE at #4 last week. If the problem was the schedule, they should have been lower last week. But no, apparently their strength in schedule wasn’t a problem last week, just this week when the poor ol’ SEC just needed to get in.
What are you getting at? Georgia was ranked ahead of FSU last week. Alabama played and beat the committee’s number one team. Don’t you think that game improved Alabama’s strength of schedule and gave them (probably) the best win of the season? It is far superior to any win FSU has.

The weekly rankings are not projections, but rather a snapshot in time.

I guess conspiracies are more interesting than logic.

Those advocating for FSU, do you think Liberty should be in the playoffs also? They went undefeated and won their conference also. I mean if FSU got snubbed, so did Liberty, right?

Those advocating for FSU, do you think Liberty should be in the playoffs also? They went undefeated and won their conference also. I mean if FSU got snubbed, so did Liberty, right?
Liberty was ranked 24th going into conference play compared to FSU being 4th, so really no comparison here.

Liberty was ranked 24th going into conference play compared to FSU being 4th, so really no comparison here.
People have been pointing to FSUs undefeated record. Liberty was undefeated too. So it should be Mich, Wash, FSU, Liberty? Why is it OK for Liberty to be ranked so low?

People have been pointing to FSUs undefeated record. Liberty was undefeated too. So it should be Mich, Wash, FSU, Liberty? Why is it OK for Liberty to be ranked so low?
You got your answer, didn't seem to like it so still trying?

I guess it's too bad the 12-team college football playoff format debuts next year instead of this year. ESPN showed what the bracket would have looked like:

1701697206784.png1701697221864.png

Liberty proves strength of schedule matters. The conference you play in matters. Its NOT just wins and losses, but who those wins & losses are against.
Someone will be along to tell you that Liberty isn't in a Power 5 conference. That was the excuse for UCF in 2017. (I have a UCF National Champions T-shirt. :D)

I heard just the opposite. The selection committee was interested in highlighting teams from outside the SEC -for the season it looked like they would be “stuck” with Georgia until Alabama fouled that up. There was no way they wanted two like in the past, they were looking for “balance” this year going into next years 12-team format.
I would discount any rumor from an SEC fan. They are not credible. These are the same fan bases the majority of which believe in Jewish space lasers starting forest fires, a human trafficking ring operating in the basement of a pizza place that in fact has no basement, etc, etc.
Multiple people have mentioned that the stated purpose of the committee going back the decade they've been in existence is to field the four best teams. Assuming that to be the case, does anyone think FSU would beat Alabama? YOU even admit Alabama is the better team.

Alabama DIDN'T earn their way in? They knocked off the two time defending national championship. You might think FSU deserved a shot, but to say Alabama didn't EARN it is nothing but sour grapes.

As far as the 10 SEC vs ACC games, who were the teams? Beating Vandy or Arkansas isn't saying much. Heck, Kentucky beat Louisville AT Louisville, and UL was in the ACC Championship.
And that stated purpose is cow manure based upon nothing more than a false dichotomy and will be discarded by the corrupt committee at their earliest convenience. I didn't say that so harshly the last time. Did you miss it? Furthermore, I didn't say Alabama is the better team. I said I thought they'd do better moving forward. But that is playing swami now isn't it? None of us, not me, you, or the committee or the pundits on TV know what any team will do moving forward. Something we, who have no part in picking who goes or not just for fun can certainly do on a message board but something the committee shouldn't be using as a criterion and something I am not using as a criterion to decide who I think should go either. But that's essentially what they did. They discarded any pretense of objectivity and decided to play swami. And that's the problem. The committee decided to play message board marauder.

And yeah, beating Arkansas isn't saying much. Unless of course it's Alabama that did it by a whole 3 points of course.....At Alabama for homecoming. But just like a LOSS, that doesn't count. Pay no attention to the bulge in the rug. SEC honks want to have it both ways. They want to claim Alabama got through the mighty sec on the one hand and then on the other when another conference goes 6-4 against them claim the SEC is lousy.

ACC wins. FSU over LSU. That's the same LSU that Alabama counts as a feather in their cap. And FSU clobbered them.
FSU over Florida.
Wake Forest over Vandy
Miami over aTm
Clemson over S. Carolina
North Carolina over S. Carolina

SEC wins. Tennessee over Virginia.
Georgia over Georgia Tech
Ole Miss over Georgia Tech
Kentucky over Louisville.

Well they did beat New Mexico St by 14. You know. New Mexico St., The team that crushed Auburn, 31-10 just one week before Alabama played Auburn. You know the team Alabama needed a miracle to beat by 3. Oh wait. Or is that terrible Auburn. Uh oh. Now we're in trouble aren't we? What to do? What to do? OH WAIT!! NEVER FEAR. We have the broom of SEC logic to clean up this mess. You see New Mexico St. beat a lousy SEC team (Auburn) 31-10. But Alabama the very next week beat a mighty SEC team (Auburn) by 3. Pay no attention to the bulge in the rug.

Don't worry: next year, team #13 will be mad.

True, back when it was just the top 2 teams that made it in, there would be an argument between 2 and 3. Now it's an argument between 4 and 5. Next year, it will be between 12 and 13, and so on if they ever expand it again. My boss is a Florida State graduate, so I'm sure she's not happy. May be a good thing she is off work today, lol!

Wow …bitter much! 😂. You put a lot of thought into that one…. Georgia did have an easy schedule(#44) but still better than FSU(who were NOT the same team if you saw any of their last 2 games), I’ll give you that much.
Why thank you. I do put thought into my posts. And I can honestly and without hesitation say I would love to say the same about your posts.

But let me get this straight. Undefeated FSU, whose offense struggled against Louisville (but their defense sure didn't) is not the same team because they only beat a good Louisville team by 10 right?
Yet Bammer a one loss team, needed an absolute miracle to beat mediocre Auburn one week prior to that Louisville FSU game, The same Auburn team that New Mexico Freakin St drummed 31-10 just one week prior to that and it's Oh no prob. Ignore that. Bad things happen to great teams.

Ahhh the mighty broom of SEC logic for ya folks. It can sweep up any mess imaginable. Just don't pay attention to the bulge in the rug.

• Haha
Reactions: GAN
True, back when it was just the top 2 teams that made it in, there would be an argument between 2 and 3. Now it's an argument between 4 and 5. Next year, it will be between 12 and 13, and so on if they ever expand it again. My boss is a Florida State graduate, so I'm sure she's not happy. May be a good thing she is off work today, lol!
There will still be arguments about 4 and 5 next year, since that bye will be highly sought after.

But that's why they play the games.

Bama's Strength of Schedule was #5 after Saturday's games. Beating the #1 team helps.

FSU' Strength of Schedule was #55 after Saturday's games.

Michigan, Texas, and Washington were also carrying good SoS.

:rolleyes1 One of these things is not like the other. :rolleyes1

It's part of the committee's rules to look at SoS so they did. I've read 5 committee members have ACC ties and only 2 have SEC ties. But it's only one factor. Another is quality wins.

Finally, the CFP tried to go to a 12-team playoff for this season in 2023 but remember the ol' handshake alliance of the ACC, B1G, and PAC commish's that formed after it was announced Texas and Oklahoma were bolting to the SEC? The three of them BLOCKED going to 12 in 2023. And the FSU Athletic Director issued a statement supporting the ACC Commish.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Reactions: GAN
But let me get this straight. Undefeated FSU, whose offense struggled against Louisville (but their defense sure didn't) is not the same team because they only beat a good Louisville team by 10 right?
Yet Bammer a one loss team, needed an absolute miracle to beat mediocre Auburn one week prior to that Louisville FSU game, The same Auburn team that New Mexico Freakin St drummed 31-10 just one week prior to that and it's Oh no prob. Ignore that. Bad things happen to great teams.

Florida State had to come from behind after the 1st quarter against North Alabama (an FCS team) the week prior to the Iron Bowl. UNA was up 13-0.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401525556

So now are FSU supporters going to base their positions on WHEN a comeback occurs?

The only score that matters is when the game is over.

My work here is done.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter