College football fans: Sitting in the home section as a visitor?

NotUrsula

DIS Veteran
I'm a college football fan, and the SEC is my home conference. I haven't been to a home game in decades because I moved halfway across the country right after school, and up until recently my school never played anywhere near where I now live, and single-game home tickets are nearly impossible to get, anyway, so going home for games never was a very viable option. I've really missed the fun of going to games, and my DH, who went to a non-football school, knew that I did.

My team is playing 2 hours away from here in a few weeks, and I was debating springing for tickets. DH surprised me before I could do so: he scored a free pair of prime seats from a client. (I mean, REALLY prime seats.) The catch is that, being as how the client is a season ticket holder at the host school, these prime seats are in the heart of the home section.

Naturally, I gratefully accepted the tickets; it was a very generous gift. However, I'm a bit afraid of how the experience is going to go. I know SEC D1 football, and IME, visitors are not really welcome in the home seats, especially in the good ones. I plan to dress neutrally (which is killing me) and try to contain my vocal enthusiasm for my side, but still ...

So, has anyone BT/DT? I need some perspective.

I think you will be fine as long as you dress somewhat neutrally and don’t diss on the home team while surrounded by the home team! We just went to an auburn game a couple weeks ago and there was a lady sitting close to us wearing an alabama jersey. She got some ribbing, but was mostly left alone.

I will say that I offered up my ticket to my younger son, but he declined since he went to UGA. He said he would feel awkward sitting around auburn fans as a UGA fan.

Depends on where you go. As a Pitt fan, nobody I know travels to West Virginia anymore. Mean nasty fans that roughed up my college roommate's wife.

Yeah, I'd dress more on the "pro home team" side (not just neutrally) if you're literally sitting smack dab in the home section.

You don't have to wear the paraphernalia, but I'd sure be in their colors if I was going to an SEC home game.

The closest I've gotten to that is wearing KU gear to Manhattan.

I think the question is will you really enjoy the game if you are constantly worried about looking over your shoulder to see if you've been made, if you feel like you can't even cheer (not just meaning you won't be obnoxious but that you won't feel like you can show it) and that you have to tone down what you're wearing.

If you feel like you can still go to the game and truly have fun then other people's advice seems fine, I'd stick to just wearing neutral, but if you aren't sure you'll really enjoy it no matter the freebie you might reconsider.

I went to a Dodger's game with my husband and a vendor (who paid for the tickets) but had no allegiance to either team so I didn't care whatsoever about what you're worrying about.

Yeah, I'd dress more on the "pro home team" side (not just neutrally) if you're literally sitting smack dab in the home section.

You don't have to wear the paraphernalia, but I'd sure be in their colors if I was going to an SEC home game.
I suspect I'm going to give the matchup ID away with this, but ironically I actually could manage to wear one of my team's colors while sitting there, because the teams have one color in common. (Of course, I'd have to go buy a plain shirt, seeing as how I really don't look good in that particular color, and all of my current team gear is in the other one.)

This reminds me of the Seinfeld where Elaine wears the Baltimore cap to her boss's box seats at Yankee Stadium. A whole thing occurrs. "Take off the hat!" 🤣

Honestly, though I don't think it's a big deal. Just don't be obnoxious about it and I think it's fine.

Depends upon the school -- some SEC fans are nicer than others. As long as you're sitting away from student fans (which it sounds like you are), I think it will be fine. I wouldn't dress in spirit wear, though.

I suspect I'm going to give the matchup ID away with this, but ironically I actually could manage to wear one of my team's colors while sitting there, because the teams have one color in common. (Of course, I'd have to go buy a plain shirt, seeing as how I really don't look good in that particular color, and all of my current team gear is in the other one.)
Depends on the school. Is your home team playing another team with the same mascot? If so, they were the most pleasant of all sec fans I’ve ever met in my stadium. As an LSU fan, I’ve sat in the heart of most sec stadiums & not always in the away section & had no problems. And, most sec stadiums, including lsu, scatter away fans t/o the stadium so it’s not unlikely to have away fans close by even in the “home” sections. I’ve actually had more issues with with away fans acting up in my own stadium…looking at your bama, auburn, ole miss!

Eta: and no need to buy a neutral shirt!!

Depends on the school. Is your home team playing another team with the same mascot? If so, they were the most pleasant of all sec fans I’ve ever met in my stadium. As an LSU fan, I’ve sat in the heart of most sec stadiums & not always in the away section & had no problems. And, most sec stadiums, including lsu, scatter away fans t/o the stadium so it’s not unlikely to have away fans close by even in the “home” sections. I’ve actually had more issues with with away fans acting up in my own stadium…looking at your bama, auburn, ole miss!

Eta: and no need to buy a neutral shirt!!

A buddy of mine's brother went down to Florida for the Tennessee game - he's a big TN fan but met up with his brother down there who is of course a Gators fan. I am sure he wore Vols gear, though he might have wished he hadn't by the end of that thing! 🤣

Last edited:
Definitely depends on where you go. I am a Gamecock and have been to a little more than half of the other SEC stadiums. Some are nicer than others. And yes, you can dress how you want. I've sat in the middle of the UGA donor section decked out in Gamecocks and did just fine!

I've sat in the middle of the UGA donor section decked out in Gamecocks and did just fine!
I have only gone to UGA games so I just assumed what I experienced there was what I would experience at any college game. Sad to hear that other team fans sound like they are just mean.

I was at a game a couple of weeks ago where both team's fans tailgated next to each other and then all sat intermingled in the stadium.

No issues, everyone was respectful of each other.

I was at a game a couple of weeks ago where both team's fans tailgated next to each other and then all sat intermingled in the stadium.

No issues, everyone was respectful of each other.

Based on your name, was that at Southern Miss? Did you have a giant drum of gumbo? Nobody does it like they do!

That's about what I'd expect too. Maybe a little light razzing between fans, but I don't really see why it wouldn't be civil.

I'd argue nobody does it like Ole Miss; LSU may have superior food, but Ole Miss takes the prize for atmosphere (and no, I'm not an Ole Miss alum, but you've got to give props to tents containing chandeliers and MeMaw's best silver and china.)

I'm that kind of dinosaur; when I was a student we routinely wore suits and heels to football games, for all the world like it was a job interview (though it generally *was* a big date night.)

I would (and have) proudly wear my school's colors - unless it's one of the few schools known for being discourteous to visitors.

Plaster a smile on your face and say hello to everyone as you sit down. You could even joke "enemy in the ranks!" or similar. Cheer for your team but don't be obnoxious about it. Clap or comment "good play" if the other team make a great play. The better seats tend to have more mature fans. And I bet there will be other visitors in the area.

We had plenty of LSU fans around us in our home section last year and it was no biggie! You can’t control where people sell tickets so I would not worry if I were you. Just don’t be a jerk, and you shouldn’t have any major issues!

I have been to many away games, really a lot depends on who you are playing, most will be nice, some schools are full of jerks. Most will have an away section which I would try to sit at.

I remember from WAAAAAAAY back in the day, some of my friends went to a "bowl game" where University of Illinois was apparently getting their butts handed to them by LSU. I do not know where they were sitting, but the LSU fans were taunting them and threatening them. It was not only good enough for the ballgame to be lopsided, they had to badger the Illinois fans as well :(

I remember from WAAAAAAAY back in the day, some of my friends went to a "bowl game" where University of Illinois was apparently getting their butts handed to them by LSU. I do not know where they were sitting, but the LSU fans were taunting them and threatening them. It was not only good enough for the ballgame to be lopsided, they had to badger the Illinois fans as well :(
Yes, based on experience, if the SEC home team is LSU, I'd watch on TV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter