College parents...fall semester?

Yes, my daughter's school just announced that this week. They sent each kid and parent the new total for room and board for the fall, based on the meal plan and dorm that kid had selected. Ours is several hundred dollars less than it would have been--like maybe 800 less? I would have to look up what it was going to be previously.

Question: If they're saying up front that the on-campus portion of the semester ends at Thanksgiving, have they pro-rated the dorm and meal plan costs? I mean, a college semester is 14 weeks -- if it's now 12 weeks on campus, the dorm and meal plan should cost less.
Yes, my daughter's school just announced that this week. They sent each kid and parent the new total for room and board for the fall, based on the meal plan and dorm that kid had selected. Ours is several hundred dollars less than it would have been--like maybe 800 less? I would have to look up what it was going to be previously.

Yeah, I'd have to look it up exactly, but they were very good about crediting the last part of spring semester to their accounts for this year, so I've no reason to think they'll overcharge us.

Our son's school is opening in the fall, but, interestingly enough, they are sending everybody home at Thanksgiving. There are usually only 2 weeks of classes after Thanksgiving before finals, so this year they are sending everyone home, having glasses go online those last two weeks, and then do online finals. I thought it was a good compromise.

I was listening to an on-line forum yesterday for my DS's college. A parent asked if this would be a good year to take a GAP year. I think this caught the professor off guard. He mumbled something about talking to our student's advisors about the pros and cons, and in the end mentioned the college's retention rate. It turned me off a bit - worried about the college's retention rate? Now? Really? I guess you can - but don't say it out loud to a bunch of parents! I know a retention rate is an advertising tool for universities, but the fact that it was first in his mind really rubbed me the wrong way.

And in the public forum comments, the university was really taking a beating for the quality of their on-line education last semester. I know my DS didn't like it at all, but he doesn't even like college anyway, so his opinion isn't always fair. A lot to think and decide about in the next couple weeks!

I was listening to an on-line forum yesterday for my DS's college. A parent asked if this would be a good year to take a GAP year. I think this caught the professor off guard. He mumbled something about talking to our student's advisors about the pros and cons, and in the end mentioned the college's retention rate. It turned me off a bit - worried about the college's retention rate? Now? Really? I guess you can - but don't say it out loud to a bunch of parents! I know a retention rate is an advertising tool for universities, but the fact that it was first in his mind really rubbed me the wrong way.

And in the public forum comments, the university was really taking a beating for the quality of their on-line education last semester. I know my DS didn't like it at all, but he doesn't even like college anyway, so his opinion isn't always fair. A lot to think and decide about in the next couple weeks!
Was that UCF, by any chance?

Dd23’s boyfriend will not get his diploma until he turns in his last film, he has everything he needs, just needs to be able to film.

yup, that's the situation all of those who would have graduated last june from dd's former program are in. this upcoming quarter will be entirely on-line so no chance to do it then, and even if they can figure out a way to do it next spring they will be sorely lacking in production staff b/c the way the program works the incoming juniors are taking classes/working on senior films for the first 2 quarters so that they have the skills in place to help/get extensive hands on experience w/ the senior final projects.

I was listening to an on-line forum yesterday for my DS's college. A parent asked if this would be a good year to take a GAP year. I think this caught the professor off guard. He mumbled something about talking to our student's advisors about the pros and cons, and in the end mentioned the college's retention rate. It turned me off a bit - worried about the college's retention rate? Now? Really? I guess you can - but don't say it out loud to a bunch of parents! I know a retention rate is an advertising tool for universities, but the fact that it was first in his mind on-line forumreally rubbed me the wrong way.

First, let me say, I am in no way defending bringing up retention rate in a parents online forum. At this point it is not an advertising tool. Most universities are struggling financially... I mean really struggling. Cuts will not be to the fat, they will be deep and students will suffer, period. Programs & services will go, along with the staff that are terminated. State universities like Madison rely on tuition as well as government money. You can imagine that both have been gutted. I think he brought it up because faculty everywhere are desperate to have students enroll. That is a mandate from the administration, not a choice. You caught him off guard and he didn't have a response because he has been told his job is to get students back... not take a year off.

Many faculty are very upset at being called back into the classroom, especially with spikes among younger people many of whom, for whatever reason, are not conforming to masks or social distancing. I know I not only have mask and gloves ready but have bought a plastic shield to wear in the classroom.

Honestly you can't judge online learning by last semester. Faculty planned courses for in person instruction. Having to change to online in the middle of the semester was very difficult... not just for students, but faculty, many of whom did the best they could. The fall will hopefully be better. I know at my institution we are planning for students to come back to campus, but all faculty have been told to construct courses so they can be transitioned to online if necessary. Over the summer we have had lots of extra training on the resources that make for a good online experience.

Colleges and universities will struggle for a long, long time. It will impact students. This is a financial crisis for lots of people and businesses... that includes whatever school your student is attending.

First, let me say, I am in no way defending bringing up retention rate in a parents online forum. At this point it is not an advertising tool. Most universities are struggling financially... I mean really struggling. Cuts will not be to the fat, they will be deep and students will suffer, period. Programs & services will go, along with the staff that are terminated. State universities like Madison rely on tuition as well as government money. You can imagine that both have been gutted. I think he brought it up because faculty everywhere are desperate to have students enroll. That is a mandate from the administration, not a choice. You caught him off guard and he didn't have a response because he has been told his job is to get students back... not take a year off.

Many faculty are very upset at being called back into the classroom, especially with spikes among younger people many of whom, for whatever reason, are not conforming to masks or social distancing. I know I not only have mask and gloves ready but have bought a plastic shield to wear in the classroom.

Honestly you can't judge online learning by last semester. Faculty planned courses for in person instruction. Having to change to online in the middle of the semester was very difficult... not just for students, but faculty, many of whom did the best they could. The fall will hopefully be better. I know at my institution we are planning for students to come back to campus, but all faculty have been told to construct courses so they can be transitioned to online if necessary. Over the summer we have had lots of extra training on the resources that make for a good online experience.

Colleges and universities will struggle for a long, long time. It will impact students. This is a financial crisis for lots of people and businesses... that includes whatever school your student is attending.

My DIL was offered a position in December at her alma mater. But in May of this year, she was told that they will not be filling the position this semester and are waiting on enrollment numbers, financials, and the status of the virus. She's been told they are hoping to open the position in January. It's in the college of business which is one of the institutions typically biggest enrollment areas. So fingers crossed, that the stars align for her to start in January.

It's got to be very difficult all around.

My son is supposed to be entering his junior year at UPS(University of Puget Sound) in Tacoma, WA. We live in Fl so the logistics are complicated, even without the Covid-19. The distance learning last semester was abysmal, at best. Since it is a private college, the cost is $25K OOP per semester after scholarships, so sitting on our balcony watching a computer screen and listening to a professor talk endlessly for 90 minutes, is not appealing. I agree, the schools are sending out emails just to get you to come, and then you can be sent home. We were not able to get his belongings from last semester, so the school had to pack them up and store them, somewhere.

My daughter is an incoming freshman at UF, and so far their emails have been clear and detailed about their plans. She even was able to speak with an advisor, picked her classes, confirmed her dorm( socially distanced). Very pleased with their communication so far, hopefully it continues.

What are people's thoughts on Gap years? My thinking is that any students that take a gap year will be competing for spots with next year's students. And what happens if this online stuff goes on for another year? Will they take 2 gap years? At what point will htey have found jobs or life changes that just stop them from going to university at all? Am I out to lunch on this subject?

What are people's thoughts on Gap years? My thinking is that any students that take a gap year will be competing for spots with next year's students. And what happens if this online stuff goes on for another year? Will they take 2 gap years? At what point will they have found jobs or life changes that just stop them from going to university at all? Am I out to lunch on this subject?

You are not out to lunch at all and are asking good questions.... to which no one has the answers, unfortunately.

When considering a gap year, my question is do you have an actual plan? I would think about this first. Meaningful work experience may be hard to come by with unemployment numbers so high. Is there something your child could do that would enhance them somehow? Is there a possibility of an internship or volunteering that would make them competitive for the next year's class?

Being away from the classroom for a year can be a benefit for some. Many of my best students have been those who took time off... they are more focused and disciplined because they understand how important education is in getting what they want from life. On the other hand, for some students getting back into the class/study routine when you've been out of it, can be quite the challenge.

You know your child.... if you do a gap year, try to make it more than just a filler and marking time.

Last edited:
My DD is going to start her freshman year as planned whether it’s in person online or whatever. I think a gap year is valuable if they want to work or travel etc but there’s not a whole lot she can do right now. (She does have a job but not something that would give her enough hours or experience to warrant a gap year). She might as well start her classes and get on her way.

A friend of mine works in administration at a local university. She is normal very even-keeled but everytime I talk to her these days I can hear the extreme stress in her voice. She is in charge of, among other things, freshman orientation. One of the main reasons students choose her university is because of the personal touch and relationships built among the students, faculty, and staff. She is practically pulling her hair out trying to figure out how to safely provide an experience that's in any way similar to what the incoming freshman expect at this university.

Penn State just sent a notice that they will be starting on time and sending everyone home for remote learning after Thanksgiving break. Today is the cutoff for medical accommodation form so I suspect they will need to reevaluate their space and see if they can actually fit everyone. I would think quad and supplemental housing will be a no go. He is all in so we decided to get DS a single for next semester because at least when the school closed we got our money back for both the room and dining plus his stuff was safe.
This warmed my heart. I used to work for Penn State, and I have never known a finer, more upstanding group of people than my fellow employees, (not including any well-known criminals who happened to be there and were found out later.) I'm so glad they did the right thing regarding the room/dining and taking care of your DS's stuff. Best wishes that everything works out well in the end.
I hate that COVID-19 is messing with all these kids' plans.
I don't know how I stumbled into this thread. Reading it just makes me grateful that DD still has 2 years to go before college. It's tough enough just wondering how these HS years will go. She didn't do that well with the online learning part of it so far. I think she really needs the classroom interaction to stay on track. It doesn't help that her interests are theatre and media tech and others that don't lend themselves well to online learning.
So again, best wishes to you. And to all you college student parents out there as your kids blaze the trail for mine. They are in such a tough spot!

anyone whose kid is going to live on campus this upcoming term-any news on drastic changes to the move in process? asking b/c one of our big universities is making a point of getting students/parents aware that they MUST keep an eye out for updates on how the move-in process will occur b/c apparently it will in no way resemble prior years and will take place over a longer period of time.

anyone whose kid is going to live on campus this upcoming term-any news on drastic changes to the move in process? asking b/c one of our big universities is making a point of getting students/parents aware that they MUST keep an eye out for updates on how the move-in process will occur b/c apparently it will in no way resemble prior years and will take place over a longer period of time.
Haven’t heard any details yet.

My DD is a desk attendant in a dorm at a big university. They have been told the move in process will happen over a longer period of time with strict time windows.

We were told that everyone would get an assigned move in date / time. Last year, as a freshman, we were given a set time as well, with all freshmen moving in on the same day. Upperclassmen could move in any other day but freshmen move-in day. Sounds like everyone, regardless of their year, will get assigned times this year, with the process spanning a number of days to lower the number of move-ins at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter