College parents...fall semester?

Moving DS into his freshman dorm today. Classes start on Monday (a week early so semester can finish by Thanksgiving).

From the student's letter -
https://myemail.constantcontact.com...-Plan.html?soid=1132109892475&aid=3MMUkkzCxt0
"...New Jerseyans have done a good job in fighting COVID-19, and the current rate of transmission is low enough to allow for the safe return of students, faculty, and staff. Of course, we will all need to continue to be vigilant in fighting the virus by adhering to the guidelines laid out in the Pioneer Pledge – chief among them, wearing a face covering that covers your mouth and nose and staying home if you are sick.

I am fully confident that our comprehensive Reopening Plan will allow for us all to resume our work and studies while keeping our community healthy and safe. On that front, I am pleased to share that the University has contracted with a respected testing firm to make COVID-19 testing available to all resident students with no out-of-pocket expense. We have also engaged a well-regarded contact tracing firm to quickly track down any impacted individuals, should we learn of an exposure on campus."

The Faculty/Staff letter -
https://myemail.constantcontact.com...-Plan.html?soid=1132109892475&aid=MXw7_60de5E
I'll find out today exactly how they plan to go about testing as it wasn't a requirement to move in. From previous meetings I understood testing to be continued across the whole body thru the semester; at one point they mentioned each student twice a week. I wish the 'Pioneer Pledge' clearly spelled out that students should avoid gatherings (parties especially) and other high risk/impact behaviors that could jeopardize the ability to continue campus life under 'Phase 3'. Going back to Phase 2 would stink.

Moving DS into his freshman dorm today. Classes start on Monday (a week early so semester can finish by Thanksgiving).

From the student's letter -
https://myemail.constantcontact.com...-Plan.html?soid=1132109892475&aid=3MMUkkzCxt0
"...New Jerseyans have done a good job in fighting COVID-19, and the current rate of transmission is low enough to allow for the safe return of students, faculty, and staff. Of course, we will all need to continue to be vigilant in fighting the virus by adhering to the guidelines laid out in the Pioneer Pledge – chief among them, wearing a face covering that covers your mouth and nose and staying home if you are sick.

I am fully confident that our comprehensive Reopening Plan will allow for us all to resume our work and studies while keeping our community healthy and safe. On that front, I am pleased to share that the University has contracted with a respected testing firm to make COVID-19 testing available to all resident students with no out-of-pocket expense. We have also engaged a well-regarded contact tracing firm to quickly track down any impacted individuals, should we learn of an exposure on campus."

The Faculty/Staff letter -
https://myemail.constantcontact.com...-Plan.html?soid=1132109892475&aid=MXw7_60de5E
I'll find out today exactly how they plan to go about testing as it wasn't a requirement to move in. From previous meetings I understood testing to be continued across the whole body thru the semester; at one point they mentioned each student twice a week. I wish the 'Pioneer Pledge' clearly spelled out that students should avoid gatherings (parties especially) and other high risk/impact behaviors that could jeopardize the ability to continue campus life under 'Phase 3'. Going back to Phase 2 would stink.

WPU faculty here. We were told no testing at our open meeting with the administration this week. How they intend to quarantine covid positives with no symptoms is beyond me. They also refused to give us any metrics on what would precipitate a campus closure.

The pledge spells out nothing. Faculty signed it, too. While you can exercise some modicum of control in the classroom, that’s not where the problems will be. Young people in this demographic congregate. It is part of their DNA. These are good kids. But they have been apart for a long time and mom and dad aren’t there to monitor. Guess what will happen?

I wish I was hopeful.... I am not. And I really enjoy being with students so I want desperately to be proved wrong!

Good luck with your move in!

My friend just gave me something to think about. My sons room mate is in band. I think he plays flute. In any case he plays some kind of instrument you blow in. 😁

So my friend asked if he practices while my son is in the room. I texted him to ask and he said no he doesn’t. And he lets him know when he is finished. I’ll assume the leaders in his program set forth guidelines for safety. I had noticed he had a window open when we moved my son in. I’m guessing it’s for ventilation.

My friend’s son plays football at another school. He practices in a “pod” of 8-10. The coaches have told them if they find out they are congregating in groups of more than 10 they will be suspended. Not that you can’t catch it in small groups and from other kinds of contact but at least there are expectations in place.

WPU faculty here. We were told no testing at our open meeting with the administration this week. How they intend to quarantine covid positives with no symptoms is beyond me. They also refused to give us any metrics on what would precipitate a campus closure.

The pledge spells out nothing. Faculty signed it, too. While you can exercise some modicum of control in the classroom, that’s not where the problems will be. Young people in this demographic congregate. It is part of their DNA. These are good kids. But they have been apart for a long time and mom and dad aren’t there to monitor. Guess what will happen?

I wish I was hopeful.... I am not. And I really enjoy being with students so I want desperately to be proved wrong!

Considering how hard north jersey was hit in March, I’m surprised that WPU isn’t being more cautious. I think MSU is mostly remote. Rutgers made the call early, and TCNJ switched from hybrid to remote a couple of weeks ago.

Wait, you had to stand in line for an extended time mixed in with people who really thought they had it? That's crazy.

Oh, I hope not! I hope that anyone who reported symptoms when they arrived was handled separately, but of course they can’t tell the rest of us that.

I got freaked out because a couple of people mentioned testing because they knew someone who had it, rather than just being there for documentation. They didn’t have symptoms themselves, I’m just a worry wort.

We also were not together all that time. The lines (one to register, one to pay, one to swab) were in between the much longer waits in our car. I just think they could have been a lot more efficient!

Considering how hard north jersey was hit in March, I’m surprised that WPU isn’t being more cautious. I think MSU is mostly remote. Rutgers made the call early, and TCNJ switched from hybrid to remote a couple of weeks ago.
And that is exactly what faculty/staff tried to argue. We are not at stage 3. We are at stage 2. We have been told all summer we would be “in person” if we were in stage 3... don’t think anyone imagined we wouldn’t be. When the president saw it wasn’t going to happen, he petitioned the state for a waiver so he could bring freshmen specifically on campus. When the governor allowed in person k-12 classes, he interpreted that as a go ahead. But make no mistake. We are not in stage 3. You can’t eat inside a restaurant or go to a gym. We are in stage 2. Except you have dorms full of freshmen, dining halls and libraries open along with in person classes.

Testing is available free to students. They are NOT required to test. Faculty/staff were told if we were worried to go to our doctor and get tested since our medical plan should cover it. Really?????? That’s your plan? They figure if a student violates the pioneer pledge they can give them the boot. Guess that’s the plan?

Btw, contact tracing is a joke. Did you hear what the governor said at his news conference yesterday? There are almost 1000 contact tracers in NJ. Compliance when asked for contacts though is only about 50%!! They have particular issues with young people who don’t want to admit to gatherings or snitch on their friends!! Ugh!!!

DS moves into his first dorm in 13 days. We are still waiting for our scheduled time, his dorm information, Covid testing information on move-in day, etc. Many unknowns still.

And that is exactly what faculty/staff tried to argue. We are not at stage 3. We are at stage 2. We have been told all summer we would be “in person” if we were in stage 3... don’t think anyone imagined we wouldn’t be. When the president saw it wasn’t going to happen, he petitioned the state for a waiver so he could bring freshmen specifically on campus. When the governor allowed in person k-12 classes, he interpreted that as a go ahead. But make no mistake. We are not in stage 3. You can’t eat inside a restaurant or go to a gym. We are in stage 2. Except you have dorms full of freshmen, dining halls and libraries open along with in person classes.

Testing is available free to students. They are NOT required to test. Faculty/staff were told if we were worried to go to our doctor and get tested since our medical plan should cover it. Really?????? That’s your plan? They figure if a student violates the pioneer pledge they can give them the boot. Guess that’s the plan?

Btw, contact tracing is a joke. Did you hear what the governor said at his news conference yesterday? There are almost 1000 contact tracers in NJ. Compliance when asked for contacts though is only about 50%!! They have particular issues with young people who don’t want to admit to gatherings or snitch on their friends!! Ugh!!!
My family has tested several times (free at citymd). Results are taking weeks. My daughter will be off campus at UD, all online, if she wants to use the library, student center or dining hall she has to submit a recent negative test first. Our town’s public schools are 100% virtual.

So our governor, who I have always been 100% behind, is starting to make me scratch my head. Not long ago they started focusing on the positivity rate as the number to watch. Well in the past week the rate has dropped from nearly 6% to under 5%. But instead of being happy about that, he is focusing on the raw data, the numbers of positives. He also said if a district was in the yellow they could have in person school with a hybrid model. Then he recommended all schools wait till end of September to start back in person even though many are yellow.

I guess I can understand this is an evolving situation. But the thing that really bothers me is the fact that he says nothing about colleges in his daily announcements. My son is away at school and things seem to be ok but you would think he would say SOMETHING about colleges. His whole focus is on k12 education. I feel like we are in limbo.

So our governor, who I have always been 100% behind, is starting to make me scratch my head. Not long ago they started focusing on the positivity rate as the number to watch. Well in the past week the rate has dropped from nearly 6% to under 5%. But instead of being happy about that, he is focusing on the raw data, the numbers of positives. He also said if a district was in the yellow they could have in person school with a hybrid model. Then he recommended all schools wait till end of September to start back in person even though many are yellow.

I guess I can understand this is an evolving situation. But the thing that really bothers me is the fact that he says nothing about colleges in his daily announcements. My son is away at school and things seem to be ok but you would think he would say SOMETHING about colleges. His whole focus is on k12 education. I feel like we are in limbo.

A lot of the politicians have taken a hands-off approach with higher ed, probably because the economic issues there are so much more complex than they are for K-12 and no one wants to give the order that ultimately causes a small or less-endowed school to close its doors and disrupt the education of its students.

I've been frustrated by the way the conversations about data keep shifting too. Ours is now all about the case numbers, again, even though the positive percentage and hospitalizations remain flat. It is all about the uptick in cases, rather than the overall prevalence or the impact of those cases, which sort of made sense at the start of the reopening uptick but seems short-sighted now that we're 6 weeks into higher (but still much lower than peak) cases and aren't seeing hospitalizations or deaths trend up as they did with the initial surge. But at least we are allowed to start school (for now - I still think there's a very good chance that will change before Sept. 8 when public schools would go back).

A lot of the politicians have taken a hands-off approach with higher ed, probably because the economic issues there are so much more complex than they are for K-12 and no one wants to give the order that ultimately causes a small or less-endowed school to close its doors and disrupt the education of its students.

I've been frustrated by the way the conversations about data keep shifting too. Ours is now all about the case numbers, again, even though the positive percentage and hospitalizations remain flat. It is all about the uptick in cases, rather than the overall prevalence or the impact of those cases, which sort of made sense at the start of the reopening uptick but seems short-sighted now that we're 6 weeks into higher (but still much lower than peak) cases and aren't seeing hospitalizations or deaths trend up as they did with the initial surge. But at least we are allowed to start school (for now - I still think there's a very good chance that will change before Sept. 8 when public schools would go back).
Agreed. I know money is a big issue. I’m sure they don’t want to limit dorms to one person per room because of all the money they will lose for example.

Also, he keeps reporting the numbers of cases that are children under 18. To me, that’s no surprise. For one thing, Kids were kept home until end of may so exposure would be very unlikely until then. Now kids are out with their parents so I’m not sure why anyone would be surprised that they are testing positive. None of them are getting sick from it. It’s not like anyone said kids can’t contract the virus.

Our deaths have been flat as well. We had 2 bad days this week which can be attributed to the rise in cases last month. That’s it so far . Hospitals continue to be able to handle the cases.

Thank you very much for the info. I wish you and your colleagues all the best. This is such a challenge to navigate and the burden has been disproportionately high to most academic professions.

I've been frustrated by the way the conversations about data keep shifting too. Ours is now all about the case numbers, again, even though the positive percentage and hospitalizations remain flat. It is all about the uptick in cases, rather than the overall prevalence or the impact of those cases, which sort of made sense at the start of the reopening uptick but seems short-sighted now that we're 6 weeks into higher (but still much lower than peak) cases and aren't seeing hospitalizations or deaths trend up as they did with the initial surge.

That is frustrating. I think it’s related to the uptick in testing right now, as students go back to college and the like, and are being tested for “papers” rather than for signs of illness or contact tracing. We’re catching the asymptotic cases that weren’t reported earlier.

The testing itself a good thing, as we can stop those people from unknowingly spreading it to others who would be hit harder. But I don’t think the numbers mean your average trip to the grocery store is any less safe than it was a couple of weeks ago.

Oh, I hope not! I hope that anyone who reported symptoms when they arrived was handled separately, but of course they can’t tell the rest of us that.

I got freaked out because a couple of people mentioned testing because they knew someone who had it, rather than just being there for documentation. They didn’t have symptoms themselves, I’m just a worry wort.

We also were not together all that time. The lines (one to register, one to pay, one to swab) were in between the much longer waits in our car. I just think they could have been a lot more efficient!
OK, I feel better on your behalf now. But dang. What a day.

So local officials closed down a pool at an off campus apartment very close to campus because there were more than 100 people there (University limit is 20 but County limit is 100). And parents are indignant. "These are adults and should be allowed to make their own decisions". "The University can't tell my kid what to do off campus!". Right after their kid signed a conduct code of course. I give Mizzou points for trying.

Classes start tomorrow. 5 1/2 months since she's seen the inside of a classroom. Nothing like diving head first into some Calc 3.

So local officials closed down a pool at an off campus apartment very close to campus because there were more than 100 people there (University limit is 20 but County limit is 100). And parents are indignant. "These are adults and should be allowed to make their own decisions". "The University can't tell my kid what to do off campus!". Right after their kid signed a conduct code of course. I give Mizzou points for trying.

Classes start tomorrow. 5 1/2 months since she's seen the inside of a classroom. Nothing like diving head first into some Calc 3.

I understand that the students sign a code of conduct and should face any academic penalties as a result, but why were local officials allowed to shut it down if they weren't breaking any local laws/mandates?
I

So local officials closed down a pool at an off campus apartment very close to campus because there were more than 100 people there (University limit is 20 but County limit is 100). And parents are indignant.

How crazy! It's ridiculous that parents are complaining that the school is stepping in to keep their kids safe! I had a discussion just yesterday with DS about how his school is planning to do just that, and the benefits of having a good attitude toward their efforts.

:rotfl:

DS starts Wednesday. He is not fond of math and is happy that his only "math" this year is technically a psychology department class (Psych Stats) - so he's really hoping it's taught with non math majors in mind!

His schedule is mostly set. He has two in-person classes - that one (class one day and lab one day) and a sociology elective that was small enough not to split, and will meet twice a week. He also has two hybrid classes - divided into two cohorts, who each meet in person one day and work online one day.

Then he's in one more class that he has yet to hear from on the arrangements. The prof's e-mail just said more info will follow. I'm guessing it will be split, but it's an education class, for which they can no longer do observations, so some people may push it off to spring semester, in hopes they will be allowed then. I think she is waiting on final numbers before she calls it.

All of his classes will meet online for the first two days, though, as the school knows some students will still be waiting on test results.

Last edited:
I understand that the students sign a code of conduct and should face any academic penalties as a result, but why were local officials allowed to shut it down if they weren't breaking any local laws/mandates?
I
They were beyond the local limit.

They were beyond the local limit.

Ahh, thanks for pointing that out, I totally missed that.
Makes sense then.
I know my dd's school has reached out to local landlords asking them to be vigilant about not letting students have parties. I think the county limit where she is is 50 so it's easy for that to be exceeded, not sure what happens though if students have parties with less people.

Young people in this demographic congregate. It is part of their DNA.
That pull to socialize is undeniable. It's hard to overcome. Maybe they should try working on a message that gets through the point that a sacrifice will come either way. If too much carefree congregating happens then they'll likely be giving up the few normal things left to campus life this semester.
Ahh, thanks for pointing that out, I totally missed that.
Makes sense then.
I know my dd's school has reached out to local landlords asking them to be vigilant about not letting students have parties. I think the county limit where she is is 50 so it's easy for that to be exceeded, not sure what happens though if students have parties with less people.
It looks like some schools mention disciplinary action but under such new territory it's uncertain how much will be enforced in practice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter