College Program Parents Thread...

MK - June 9-30, July 1-31, Aug. 1-8, 30-31

Epcot - None

DHS - June 6-8, Aug. 23

DAK - Every Saturday from July 5 - August 9

Thank you so much! Looks like they will be fine for DHS but need to buy a one day ticket for MK!

Now I'm waiting for the black out dates for December!!! We are going to be visiting her December 20-27

Anyone know if CP participants can get discount tickets to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party? I want to take my mom in mid October.

Can anyone check and see if there are any hotel and/or dining discounts listed for Aug 17-23 time period yet? My daughter doesn't check in until 8/18 so we obviously cannot have her make reservations for us and her friend checked in about a week ago but hasn't had time to figure out the Hub yet

thanks for any help!

I was actually just talking to my daughter last night about summer discounts. If I remember right the new discounts that just came out only went to mid August. There is always a 50% discount on rooms if the cast member stays in the room with you. My husband is going to pick up my daughter early August and the discount for them just increased to 60%. This is resulting in a great price for the cabins at Fort Wilderness. The dining discount for that time, however, is still $48 a day so they will not be doing the dining plan.

Yes the 60% only goes through Aug. 16 as of now. The $48.99 dining is the regular plan. Quick service is $33.99 but dining plans are only available when the 60% discount comes out. The regular 40/50% is for room only.

Hello :wave2: I hope you don't mind me posting on here, I'm not actually a college program parent, but rather an older sister of someone starting the program tomorrow!:thumbsup2

My teenage brother will be working in quick service and beverage - but won't know where exactly until he starts.

For those of you who have family members already there - do they tend to work really long shifts everyday? Are we able to visit him where he is working or is that a real no-no? Will he have a regular shift pattern so that we can plan in times to get together, or is it very changeable?

We are half-siblings (I am 22 years his senior;)) and we don't get to see each other very often as we are from totally different parts of the world, (he's from the US and I'm from the UK) so it was fantastic news when we heard he would be in WDW at the same time as our vacation, and I'm very much looking forward to meeting up - but I wanted to check with you guys as to how realistic it is that we will see much of him?

I don't want to put too much pressure on him to see us, and don't want to bombard him with all these questions - as I'm sure he has enough to think about with the program starting tomorrow - it's just all very exciting - finally having a family member working with The Mouse - my childhood dream!:thumbsup2

Many thanks for any help:thumbsup2

Hello :wave2: I hope you don't mind me posting on here, I'm not actually a college program parent, but rather an older sister of someone starting the program tomorrow!:thumbsup2

My teenage brother will be working in quick service and beverage - but won't know where exactly until he starts.

For those of you who have family members already there - do they tend to work really long shifts everyday? Are we able to visit him where he is working or is that a real no-no? Will he have a regular shift pattern so that we can plan in times to get together, or is it very changeable?

They may work really long shifts; it varies. It would be very hard to visit him where he is working as they are really busy all of the time while at work. He will likely not have a regular shift pattern however he will know about two weeks ahead of time what his hours are and you can figure out when you can get to gether then. Hopefully he will have one to two days off while you are there and you can spend those times together. He will be able to get into the parks for free so he can catch up with you. Additionally if he is working nights he could visit with you in the morning and then get to his work from the parks. It will be easier to figure out all of this once you know where he is located and then know his scheudle

We are half-siblings (I am 22 years his senior;)) and we don't get to see each other very often as we are from totally different parts of the world, (he's from the US and I'm from the UK) so it was fantastic news when we heard he would be in WDW at the same time as our vacation, and I'm very much looking forward to meeting up - but I wanted to check with you guys as to how realistic it is that we will see much of him?

I don't want to put too much pressure on him to see us, and don't want to bombard him with all these questions - as I'm sure he has enough to think about with the program starting tomorrow - it's just all very exciting - finally having a family member working with The Mouse - my childhood dream!:thumbsup2

Hope you have a great trip!

Liz

My DD works in QSFB in Hollywood Studios. She had a class on Monday and Tuesdays so those were here days off while she was taking classes. She has continued to have those days off even after classes were done. She usually works Wednesdays - Sundays and last week had 43 hours. He could also request off or switch shifts with someone. When we visited DD a few weeks ago, she got off Friday and Saturday, but did have to work on Sunday, plus she already had Monday off so we did get to spend time with her. We did see her at work on Sunday, but just to wave "hi" and grab a quick picture:)

Have a great trip:cool1:

In Merch our shifts were 6-8 hours typically. During holiday they were more of 8-14 hour days, but depending on when you visit, they probably won't be working that much. In QSFB it's unlikely you'll be able to visit for more than a minute or two because of how busy it is.

Also if he requests early enough, he can take off an entire week (depending on his need for money) or give away his shifts to fellow coworkers. You can also trade longer shifts for shorter ones or different times of days. Just have him ask for personal days off rather than the regular. This will ensure he gets more than his normal 2 days off rather than just switching the regular ones around (if approved).

If he does take an entire week off, his rent will be taken out of the next week's check.

Does anyone know if cast members get resort discounts the week before Christmas? We are planning to visit our DD the week of December 20-27. We would love to stay in the Wilderness Lodge. Also, do maingate passes work that week?

Thanks. Just trying to do some advance planning.

Does anyone know if cast members get resort discounts the week before Christmas? We are planning to visit our DD the week of December 20-27. We would love to stay in the Wilderness Lodge. Also, do maingate passes work that week?

Thanks. Just trying to do some advance planning.

I'm pretty sure resort discounts are available but are probably limited so I'd book as soon as possible.

Last year's block out dates for maingates were:

MK
Friday, December 6th & Saturday, December 7th
Friday, December 13th & Saturday, December 14th
Friday, December 20th – Tuesday, December 31st
Wednesday, January 1st – Saturday, January 4th

Epcot
Monday, December 23rd – Tuesday, December 31st

DHS
Monday, December 23rd – Tuesday, December 31st

AK
Monday, December 23rd – Monday, December 30th

Hello! This has probably been answered before but I have not gotten through all the pages so please forgive me for repetition. BUT, I know the cast members will get 6 days (3 people each) for family or friends to get in free but after those are used, can they still at least get a discount on tickets? And if so, what is the discount usually? And also, say if we, as family, got 3 free day tickets but wanted to add on 2 additional ones, would it go by the days you already have on the tickets or do they charge the full price for what would be the first day? (this of course, if there is no discount offered). Thanks!

Also...sorry...but we are planning on being there either Dec. 5 or 6th for a week. Should she go ahead and ask off for days now or does she need to wait? Will it be hard getting off during this time?

Hello! This has probably been answered before but I have not gotten through all the pages so please forgive me for repetition. BUT, I know the cast members will get 6 days (3 people each) for family or friends to get in free but after those are used, can they still at least get a discount on tickets? And if so, what is the discount usually?

And also, say if we, as family, got 3 free day tickets but wanted to add on 2 additional ones, would it go by the days you already have on the tickets or do they charge the full price for what would be the first day? (this of course, if there is no discount offered). Thanks!

Also...sorry...but we are planning on being there either Dec. 5 or 6th for a week. Should she go ahead and ask off for days now or does she need to wait? Will it be hard getting off during this time?

Yes, CMs can get a discount of 10% on 1,2,3,4 or 5 day tickets.

To clarify, the guest tickets the CM has aren't tied to any particular person, so any additional tickets would have to be a totally new ticket.

As for days off, the earlier she asks, the better. It depends on where she works as to the difficulty of getting off. If she's scheduled to work, she can always try to give away her shift.

Praise2Him said:
Yes, CMs can get a discount of 10% on 1,2,3,4 or 5 day tickets.

To clarify, the guest tickets the CM has aren't tied to any particular person, so any additional tickets would have to be a totally new ticket.

As for days off, the earlier she asks, the better. It depends on where she works as to the difficulty of getting off. If she's scheduled to work, she can always try to give away her shift.
I don't think that is fully correct. I am fairly certain my Daughter could have gotten me a discount on an AP too but I did better buying mine with the discounts I used. I recall doing the math. ;) I also believe you could buy the 6 and 7 day but not positive on the 10. That was last year though. Sometimes the website doesn't show all the options that you can actually buy when you are there in person. :)
And also keep in mind the CM has to buy these tickets at the Company D store (they absolutely cannot be bought at a park gate) so they have to buy them when Company D is open. And the CM must pay for the tickets with cash or a credit card bearing the CM'S name. Trying to pay for them with someone else's credit card is a HUGE NO NO! :) HTH

Thank you both! Stitchlovestink, I'm confused on what you are saying about the 6 and 7 day and the 10th?

The reason I'm asking this, is because our dd was so excited and told some family members she would be able to get them in. Well.....our family (myself, her dad and her brother) will more than likely use most of the 6 tickets when we go down for early Dec. (well, our ds might use one since he will only be about 2 hours away from her). So, there goes all 6 days. Didn't know if we could offer the family members the discount she could get for them (with her buying them). I also wanted to go down around October. I wish they got more tickets but thankful for what they are getting so don't want to sound ungrateful! I was asking about consecutive days because I know the first three days of parks are the most expensive. Thanks for your input! (both of you)

Planning a trip to take my mom and son to the MNSSHP and Food & Wine Festival mid October. We were hoping our DD could use her maingate pass to get us in. Are there black out dates during that time?

Planning a trip to take my mom and son to the MNSSHP and Food & Wine Festival mid October. We were hoping our DD could use her maingate pass to get us in. Are there black out dates during that time?

That's when I would like to go too. Have never been able to make it to Food and Wine or Halloween time! We have always gone around Christmas time. I would like to know if there are usually black out dates as well for that time. I was thinking I saw a link where they were not but I'm not sure!

That's when I would like to go too. Have never been able to make it to Food and Wine or Halloween time! We have always gone around Christmas time. I would like to know if there are usually black out dates as well for that time. I was thinking I saw a link where they were not but I'm not sure!

I am so thankful for Disboards as my DD has been crazy busy working at DHS and hasn't been able to check the Hub for anything - black out dates, hotel discounts, etc. Really wish they would give parents our own Hub access!! Oh well...hoping on her day off this week she can check things out!

I don't think that is fully correct. I am fairly certain my Daughter could have gotten me a discount on an AP too but I did better buying mine with the discounts I used. I recall doing the math. ;) I also believe you could buy the 6 and 7 day but not positive on the 10. That was last year though. Sometimes the website doesn't show all the options that you can actually buy when you are there in person. :)
And also keep in mind the CM has to buy these tickets at the Company D store (they absolutely cannot be bought at a park gate) so they have to buy them when Company D is open. And the CM must pay for the tickets with cash or a credit card bearing the CM'S name. Trying to pay for them with someone else's credit card is a HUGE NO NO! :) HTH

Yes, CMs can buy APs with their discount. I just didn't mention it because the PP didn't mention APs.

The discount is only 10%, so very possibly a better discount can be found using other companies. I know we used Undercover Tourist years ago, but I haven't checked lately so I'm not sure of their prices.

In the past there were longer day ticket options available but they discontinued those (I think last year), so now the only options are 1-5 days or AP.

Yes, the CM must use their own credit card (or cash) to pay for the tickets, and they must be purchased at Company D, not at the gates. However, they can also be purchased over the phone and either mailed to the recipient or picked up at Will Call.

2014 Block Out Dates have only been released through August as of now. Here were last year's October dates for reference:

2013 Block Out Dates
MK
Friday, October 4th
Saturday, October 5th
Friday, October 11th
Saturday, October 12th
Friday, October 18th
Saturday, October 19th
Friday, October 25th
Saturday, October 26th

Epcot, DHS, DAK - None

I am so thankful for Disboards as my DD has been crazy busy working at DHS and hasn't been able to check the Hub for anything - black out dates, hotel discounts, etc. Really wish they would give parents our own Hub access!! Oh well...hoping on her day off this week she can check things out!

My DD did the CP in 2010 so that's why I'm subscribed to this thread. Now I'm a Seasonal CM and I'm happy to help anyone with questions like this, so feel free to ask. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter