College Program Parents Thread...

Thank you! Did your daughter enjoy her time during Fall Advantage? Can I ask, do you know how long the auditions took in Chicago last year?

She had an great time during Fall Advantage and made several really good friends that she still keeps in touch with on a daily basis. So great that she didn't want to come home, but she did because she would have lost her scholarship if she hadn't. She will go back for the Summer Alumni program this year from mid-May to August.

The auditions were at the Hubbard Street Dance Company right down the street from where she went to high school and very close to her dorm. She said they had a group of about 15-20 perform together for about 30 minutes and they picked those who would go onto the next level. She was not picked.

She had an great time during Fall Advantage and made several really good friends that she still keeps in touch with on a daily basis. So great that she didn't want to come home, but she did because she would have lost her scholarship if she hadn't. She will go back for the Summer Alumni program this year from mid-May to August.

The auditions were at the Hubbard Street Dance Company right down the street from where she went to high school and very close to her dorm. She said they had a group of about 15-20 perform together for about 30 minutes and they picked those who would go onto the next level. She was not picked.

Thank you so much for the information! Exciting that your daughter gets to go back for the summer!! Best of luck to her! We will be there for 3 weeks May/June - we always make sure that we are very nice to all the CM's, knowing that many are away from home and work long hours. My daughter passes out hand-written thank you notes to many CM's each time we go. They all seem to be surprised and excited!

Thank you so much for the information! Exciting that your daughter gets to go back for the summer!! Best of luck to her! We will be there for 3 weeks May/June - we always make sure that we are very nice to all the CM's, knowing that many are away from home and work long hours. My daughter passes out hand-written thank you notes to many CM's each time we go. They all seem to be surprised and excited!

This last one is with a sweet CM that is from Norway who was working at the princess meal at Akershus,

My DD is only 12 but she is extremely interested in a career with animals. She says she wants to work in a zoo as opposed to being a vet. She is currently in the Junior Zookeeper program here in our town and has been for several years. As a Junior Zookeeper, she helps with animal enrichment, animal nutrition and animal interactions with guests. This summer she will be volunteering in the summer at the zoo, assisting where needed and mostly working in the petting zoo area or bringing out small creatures for guest interactions. She has already had experience training a rat, handling a boa, and other small animals.
On our last trip, we spent TWO FULL days at AK back to back! And the only rides we we went on were Safari ride and the train to Rafiki's Conservation Station. We took the rest of the time to really explore the park. Haley loved it!
So, on our last trip, we were talking to a CM at AK about her interest and the CM gave us a special business card with information about the link to the College Program and Professional Internship program. That is what brought me here to this thread. I am just getting a general idea of how it works and your experiences with it.

Has any of your children had roles at AK, in particular roles working with the animals directly?

Last edited:
The only CP role you even see the animals, as far as I know, would be a driver on Kilmanjaro Safaris. However, I believe they have some Zookeeper/Animal Science PIs. I don't' know much about them besides the fact that they are competitive.

The only CP role you even see the animals, as far as I know, would be a driver on Kilmanjaro Safaris. However, I believe they have some Zookeeper/Animal Science PIs. I don't' know much about them besides the fact that they are competitive.

Thank you for your input. Yes, the Animal Science PI/Zookeeper is the one that she will probably pursue if she continues on this avenue. The program she is in now is one of the top programs accredited nationally. She has to study and take routine tests about animals and the handling of the animals along with her training with the animals to stay in the program. They meet twice a month throughout the school year too. I know one person said the Junior Zookeepers program is what gave her the edge to be accepted in vet school.

MY DAUGHTER JUST GOT ACCEPTED FOR FALL 2016!!!!!

We are both SOOOO EXCITED!!!

She will be a vacation planner. Don't know her start dates yet as she hasn't gone through the formal acceptance process yet.

Do you work there? If so I've got some questions I'd love to ask from a parent's perspective!

Right now she is still over the moon excited (and so am I!). Her friend also got accepted yesterday in attractions so they get to go together which certainly helps make it a little easier to send her so far away. :)

Does anyone know if a CP can give a guest pass to another CP to use, or is it attached to their name?

Do you work there? If so I've got some questions I'd love to ask from a parent's perspective!

Right now she is still over the moon excited (and so am I!). Her friend also got accepted yesterday in attractions so they get to go together which certainly helps make it a little easier to send her so far away. :)

Yes, I'm a full time vacation planner. I applied for the CP three times and never got in because of a restricted rehire issue from when I worked at a Disney Store, so I moved here and got a regular job! :)

Definitely good that she's coming with a friend. Some of the kids have problems adjusting down here - it's a big reason for CPs self-terming in the first month of each program period.

I tried to send you a private message with some questions but it wouldn't let me. :(

My daughter wanted me to ask you what a "typical day" is like? She also has read that they will be trained to work crowd control for the parades and sometimes fireworks shows. (This really excited her for some reason! :)) She wants to know if you know how often that might happen or if it's not a real common thing for the vacation planners to do?

I'm wondering how difficult it is to meet the expected sales goals each day/week?

Any info you can pass on to us is greatly appreciated! We are both thrilled that she is getting this opportunity!

A typical day in Vacation Planning varies by park! MK has the weirdest variation of stuff, which is why when I put in for full time, I refused to go to MK. But MK takes the most CPs - they've got the most VPs in general. The TTC has a ton of ticket windows. :)

Ticket booths open 1.5 hours before the parks do, so for a 9am opening, VPs are scheduled beginning at 7am, because we get a half hour to get our till funds and get out to the booths and open up. (Except at MK, they can get scheduled earlier because some of them do "Squeegee" - which is just what it sounds like, they clean the condensation off their booths at the TTC. MK also has the most 8am openings, so VPs would be scheduled starting earlier anyway.)

I'm usually scheduled to start at 8:30am, because that's the shift I bid for when I became full time. My start times do vary depending on other people's schedules because I have low seniority, though.

My usual day:
- Clock in 15min before shift start.
- Use CDS (Cast Deployment System) to grab my booth assignment if I start 8:30 or earlier - any later and I get my assignment after I get my money
- Go grab a lockable cloth money bag and a till fund key.
- Wait for Genie Chat - the daily meeting about park hours, crowd predictions, attraction refurbs, etc. Generally only happens at 8:30 and earlier shifts, but varies by park. Most VPs get at least one Genie Chat per week depending on their schedule.
- After Genie Chat or at shift start time, go to the money room and get the starting till fund, and count it to make sure the machines are accurate.
- Get assignment from CDS if not done earlier!
- Head out to booths.
- Breaks usually come every 2 hours. 6 hour shifts are very common in Vacation Planning - I get one 8 hour shift a week except during very busy times of year. Breaks on a 6 hour shift are two 15-minutes that you don't clock out for. If you work an 8, you do clock out for your lunch, which is 30 or 45 minutes depending on park.
- 30 minutes before shift end, you're bumped out from the booth to go bank out. When they're working, the machines count all your money, making this quite easy to do.
- Clock out at shift end time.

"Special" things VPs do:
- PAC, or Parade Audience Control, or "Another reason I don't work at MK." Only MK VPs do PAC. You work a booth shift for half the day, then you head over to the actual park, have a meeting, and go make sure idiots don't jump in front of the parade. CPs get the most PAC, but it shouldn't be a daily thing.
- HERA. Most common at MK, less common at Epcot, almost never used at DHS or DAK. Not all VPs get trained on HERA, but almost all CPs do. Basically, HERA is when you stand outside the booths with an iPad and handle simple transactions and will calls to shorten the booth lines and get guests moving quicker.
- Gateway shifts - Only done at Epcot. This means working at the International Gateway.
- Cupcake shifts - Only done at MK. This means working at the ticket booth right by the main entrance, rather than at the TTC.
- Fulfillment/Will Call shifts - Basically, you do your exact same job, but your sales don't count towards rewards. Regular CMs make a 50c/hr premium on these shifts, CPs don't. You can be pulled to do HERA if needed.

Sales goals are a confusing topic. They're measured by "fiscal month" which rarely makes sense, and the "points per ticket" goal varies each month and is different at each park (MK has the lowest goal because more people visit there just one day, DHS and DAK have the highest goals). If you're at 79% of your goal or less, you're on a performance tracking level, and getting that too often is bad. 80%-100% of goal is "No Reward" - you did ok, but not great. Getting higher than 100% of the goal earns you a reward on a Bronze, Silver, or Gold level and I'm not sure I'm allowed to disclose more details about that, but it'll be talked about in training. Making higher reward levels is generally easier if you work later in the day, but I'm usually a morning person and I make Bronze most months. I pulled a Silver during Food & Wine last fall. :)

Six Flags New England. It's in western Mass. My daughter is graduating from a pretty small school, Roger Williams University, in coastal RI. No degree in musical theatre, just theatre. Because it's small, she had been able to get lots of experience, on and off stage. She has built sets, worked in sound, as well as leads in both plays and musicals. Her best friend is at TCU in the theatre program!!
Fingers crossed for both girls. I know my dd has many auditions under her belt, as I'm sure yours does!! That will be an advantage. My dd's height is a huge disadvantage though. Always has been. Good luck to your dd....I'll be thinking of her that day!!!

Ok, Mrs. Goofy I couldn't take it any longer .. and sent two messages to the Disney College Recruitment team (without using my daughters name that is different than mine). Please let me know what you think ... we are still in submission... are you still in pending?

My 1st Question:
My daughter has been in Submission since she applied 2 weeks ago, Feb 7. If she has an amazing auditions in March and Disney College Program recruiters from the audition want her to be a performer, will someone from the program manually get her out of submission in order to get the WBI and phone interview?

It would be disheartening to spend all the money and time to get her to the March auditions only to find out because of her locked "In
Submission" status she doesn't qualify for a WBI or interview even with a stellar and magical audition.
So please advise as to the process if auditioning while still in submission.
I certainly appreciate your kindness and time in responding.
Have a magical day!

1st Response:
Thank you for your message.
Sometimes we can spot a great fit for The Disney College Program right away, but other times we may request a bit more time to determine if someone will be a right fit.
Please have your daughter continue checking her e-mail and/or dashboard account for updates. This is the best way to get updates on a submitted application.
Thank you and have a magical day!

My 2nd question:
Thank you so much for your reply.
I still have a quick question. Is the "right "fit" that you mentioned determined solely on the application or could the DCP Character Audition make a difference to get out of "In Submission"? I appreciate your time and thank you in advance for your response.
Have a great day!

2nd Response:
The best thing to do is continue checking your e-mail and dashboard for updates. Definitely the application are the focus to for review and determinations on your next steps. Attending an audition would be for your benefit if you want to be considered for the Character Performer role.
Thank you and have a magical day!
Disney Campus Recruitment

Mrs. Goofy, please share your impression of these responses.

Hi! As a mom of past and current CP' s, I completely understand your concern for the unknown and your strong desire for your daughter's dreams to be realized. However, my biggest piece of advice for you is to let your daughter handle everything during this process. Disney treats the CP' s as adults and will not communicate with parents about any aspect of their recruitment or hiring process. They cannot legally disclose anything as our kids are over 18. I honestly wouldn't advise your child to contract them about this either-she will not get the answer you are looking for and the response will be pretty much what you got.

I wish your daughter the best and good luck in her audition! Mine made it through the whole thing but never got a performing role. She had a blast at her offered role anyway, and the experience was amazing!

I can't find anyone who can help with this question.

My daughter has been in submission since she applied 2 weeks ago, Feb 7. If she has an amazing auditions in March and moves on, will someone from the program get her out of submission in order to get the WBI and phone interview?

I would be quite disappointed to spend all the money and time to get her to the March auditions only to find out that we are in Never-Never submission land and will never get out even with a great audition.

Please advise as to the process if auditioning while still in submission. Would especially like to someone who was in Submission and got into Disney College after Auditions.
My DD had her phone interview prior to auditions but was not accepted. She happened to get her acceptance a few days after audition - not related to audition. She made it through final steps of audition and received a notice about two months later that all performance roles were filled but her card was on file. She never got a call but had a blast.

My daughter says thank you so much for all the info ravenclawtrekkie! I'm sure she will have more questions as time goes on so thanks for being a great resource for her!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter