College Program Parents Thread...

Ok, Mrs. Goofy I couldn't take it any longer .. and sent two messages to the Disney College Recruitment team (without using my daughters name that is different than mine). Please let me know what you think ... we are still in submission... are you still in pending?

My 1st Question:
My daughter has been in Submission since she applied 2 weeks ago, Feb 7. If she has an amazing auditions in March and Disney College Program recruiters from the audition want her to be a performer, will someone from the program manually get her out of submission in order to get the WBI and phone interview?

It would be disheartening to spend all the money and time to get her to the March auditions only to find out because of her locked "In
Submission" status she doesn't qualify for a WBI or interview even with a stellar and magical audition.
So please advise as to the process if auditioning while still in submission.
I certainly appreciate your kindness and time in responding.
Have a magical day!

1st Response:
Thank you for your message.
Sometimes we can spot a great fit for The Disney College Program right away, but other times we may request a bit more time to determine if someone will be a right fit.
Please have your daughter continue checking her e-mail and/or dashboard account for updates. This is the best way to get updates on a submitted application.
Thank you and have a magical day!

My 2nd question:
Thank you so much for your reply.
I still have a quick question. Is the "right "fit" that you mentioned determined solely on the application or could the DCP Character Audition make a difference to get out of "In Submission"? I appreciate your time and thank you in advance for your response.
Have a great day!

2nd Response:
The best thing to do is continue checking your e-mail and dashboard for updates. Definitely the application are the focus to for review and determinations on your next steps. Attending an audition would be for your benefit if you want to be considered for the Character Performer role.
Disney Campus Recruitment

Mrs. Goofy, please share your impression of these responses.
My dd got her acceptance a week ago today! We are thrilled for her. And she is set to head to auditions next week.
As far as your situation goes.....being a parent and playing the waiting game is the hardest thing to do. I hated it. My Kate applied on Jan 12, got her WBI within an hour of applying, then set up her phone interview for the 19th, a week after her original application. So, we waited a bit more than a month. I completely understand your frustration...I also was hesitant to spend the time and money to go to auditions only to get rejected when we returned home. BUT...and this is the hardest thing for us, the parents, to understand. Disney doesn't care about us. They don't pay attention to our emails or phone calls. Our kids are adults in their eyes. They won't talk to us. It's the same as it would be with any job application process....but because it's Disney, we tend to look at it differently. I had to accept the fact that my 'baby' was an adult now. I put her on a plane to Europe in Sept....she managed to make it through just fine. She grew as a person...she found that she was capable of a lot more than she thought she was.
So.....and I say this with all due respect and hopefully kindness.....let her go!! Let your daughter do what needs to be done. You can't do this for her. And yes, I get how hard it is. This is your 'baby'. But, Disney doesn't see her as a baby....they see her as an adult. And if an applicant needs to have a parent run interference for them, then they aren't going to think that kid is a good choice for DCP. These kids have to take responsibility for feeding themselves, laundering their clothes, getting along with others, health concerns and getting to work every day. We, as parents, aren't going to be able to do that. Better that we just allow them to control it from the very beginning.

As far as the auditions go? Well......understand where I come from when I say this, the mother of a performer. We all think our kids are the most talented kid out there. And we think that Disney would be so very lucky to have them. But, as with every job in entertainment, your kid isn't going to be a match for every thing they audition or apply for.

Of course, I'm that mother who doesn't think her child is the best thing since Ethel Barrymore!!! I tend to be very honest, perhaps too honest, about Kate's abilities and her performances. So, the first time I told her that I didn't see 'Kate' up on the stage, but the person she was portraying? She bawled her eyes out. She's talented, don't get me wrong. But, others are as well. So, only you and your daughter can decide if it's worth the chance to go to audition and possibly not get chosen in the end for DCP.

The thing to keep in mind is this....I truly believe, as do others, the the original application is searched, by a computer program, for specific phrases and words. If the program doesn't see those, or not enough of them, the applicant is rejected. If the program sees what it's looking for, it moves the applicant on to the WBI. And again, a program is looking for specifics. If it sees some of the specific phrases and words it's looking for, it may put the applicant into submission. If it sees more of what it's looking for, it allows the applicant to move on to a phone interview. Now, a real human being gets to talk to the applicant. At this point, it's up to our kids to really sell themselves. If the interviewer likes what they've heard, the applicant could be put in progress. Or possibly into submission..not too sure if that happens. Which basically means that some kids are going to get accepted more quickly than others, while others will have to sit and wait to see if they are going to be a fit down the road...after those who are a better fit are accepted. So, there's always a chance of acceptance, right up until the closing date.
Now....I can't say, for sure, if my theory is correct or not. But, I can't imagine that Disney has people sitting there, at computers, reading 50,000 applications! It would seem to be nearly impossible. But, I could be wrong.

So, in short.....keep on hoping! There is hope until it all closes or your dd sees NLIC on her dashboard. Send her off to the audition. Better safe than sorry. Besides, I firmly believe that every time you audition, you learn something. Kate would be going to auditions as long as she was still in the running! And then? Try to let go and let your daughter take the reins! I know it's hard, and you so badly want to help and be a part of it all.

And yes, your dd is probably very busy at school...man, I get that. Dd had a performance Friday night, a 4 hr music rehearsal for their next show on Sat, a performance on Sat night, and a performance on Sunday afternoon...as well as tonight, tomorrow night and Wed night. And her homework, going to class and getting work study done. Don't know how they do it! So, my fingers are crossed for you and your dd.

I really hope it all works out for her. And I really, really hope I haven't sounder harsh or unfeeling here. That's not my intent. I've just been down this road and wanted to share my experiences and how I decided to handle it the best way I could. It's so hard being a mom, and a mom of a performer is even harder....your child has to deal with so much rejection. That hurts a mom!!!! Hang in there!!!

Last edited:
My daughter just got her dates. She will be there August 8-January 5.

That's a long time to be away from home so I guess I'm going to have to plan some trips to go visit!!! :)

My daughter just got her dates. She will be there August 8-January 5.

That's a long time to be away from home so I guess I'm going to have to plan some trips to go visit!!! :)
Yeah, we all know you don't want to go, that you feel you must go in order to visit your dd! We all feel your pain!!
I'm already planning where my dh and I are having Thanksgiving dinner in WDW!!

Still waiting to hear back about the Fall 2016 program. Completed my phone interview on February 10th and am dying waiting to hear...

For those parents who are curious about the audition process....it was really something. We went through it yesterday, in NYC. Left my dd at the lobby door at 9:45. Already a ton of kids there. Sign in was at 10, auditions start at 10:30. I had planned to meet up with two other moms. We had coffee, and about 10:45, one mom got the call to meet her dd....she had been cut already! She was in an early group and they actually started prior to 10:30. The kids were taken in groups of 50. They had to do a marching sequence, with skipping and a few jazz squares. Evidently, they were looking for a ton of animation. A huge number of kids were cut at this time. I believe there were about 350 kids there to start.
The other mom's dd came down soon after! So now, I was stuck all alone. My dd texted me, telling me to come up....she had made the first cut! She was 208. So up I went. It was fun sitting and watching all the 'professional' actors/dancers all over the place, heaving to their various auditions. I chatted with a mom from Delaware for the next two hours.
So....after that first cut, the kids sat around a fair amount. Then they were given 'improv' type situations to play out....for character work. Those that made it through that part were then photographed (I think that's what dd told me) and measured. Happily, dd came in at 5'9", vs 5'10"! That gives her a few more options for characters!!
Then, if they made it through measuring, they were taught a more intensive dance routine. Groups of six were then taken to a different room to strut their stuff. Then the final cut....some, but not many, were sent on to face character work. My dd dudnt get there....but we didn't think that would happen in any case....just too tall.

So....it was a fairly long time, waiting and learning dances. Four he's for us. But, dd is beyond thrilled! She was happy to have made that first cut when she saw the kids that were leaving. Some looked perfect. Evidently not the 'look' Disney was looking for yesterday!

Will she get to do character work next fall? No idea. But she's glad she auditioned. And worst case scenario, she still goes and works in attractions.

For those that have kids still in submission? There were a ton of kids that hasn't had their WBI or phone interview yet. And a bunch of them made it to the end. So, who knows what happens with them.

I'm so glad to have found this thread! My son is interested in applying for Spring 2017 when he'll be between finishing his AA and beginning his university work. We were at WDW on spring break and talked with someone who is in the College Program now who answered so many of our questions.

But I have one that I hope someone here might be able to help me with - my son has Asperger's (high functioning) and we were wondering if others who are "on the spectrum" have worked through the College Program and how it turned out for them.

Thanks so much.

My daughter has Juvenile Rheum Arthritis. Her experience wasn't too good. Medical accommodations were difficult because the process is very strict.

My son got his acceptance a week ago he got attractions.,His dates August 15 -Jan 5th !! Can't wait

Ok, Mrs. Goofy I couldn't take it any longer .. and sent two messages to the Disney College Recruitment team (without using my daughters name that is different than mine). Please let me know what you think ... we are still in submission... are you still in pending?

My 1st Question:
My daughter has been in Submission since she applied 2 weeks ago, Feb 7. If she has an amazing auditions in March and Disney College Program recruiters from the audition want her to be a performer, will someone from the program manually get her out of submission in order to get the WBI and phone interview?

It would be disheartening to spend all the money and time to get her to the March auditions only to find out because of her locked "In
Submission" status she doesn't qualify for a WBI or interview even with a stellar and magical audition.
So please advise as to the process if auditioning while still in submission.
I certainly appreciate your kindness and time in responding.
Have a magical day!

1st Response:
Thank you for your message.
Sometimes we can spot a great fit for The Disney College Program right away, but other times we may request a bit more time to determine if someone will be a right fit.
Please have your daughter continue checking her e-mail and/or dashboard account for updates. This is the best way to get updates on a submitted application.

My 2nd question:
Thank you so much for your reply.
I still have a quick question. Is the "right "fit" that you mentioned determined solely on the application or could the DCP Character Audition make a difference to get out of "In Submission"? I appreciate your time and thank you in advance for your response.
Have a great day!

2nd Response:
The best thing to do is continue checking your e-mail and dashboard for updates. Definitely the application are the focus to for review and determinations on your next steps. Attending an audition would be for your benefit if you want to be considered for the Character Performer role.
Disney Campus Recruitment

Mrs. Goofy, please share your impression of these responses.

Just wanted to check in and see how your dd is doing. Did she ever go to auditions? If so, how did they turn out? Have you guys heard anything else from DCP? I've been thinking of you and wondering how it's going.

My daughter was accepted and will be starting at WDW on August 8th. She just forwarded me an e-mail that DORMS sent her about Summer 1 Education Registration Update. It says that Summer Term begins May 16th and ends August 5th. Is this just a blanket letter they send out to everyone who's been accepted? This shouldn't apply to my daughter should it?

My daughter was accepted and will be starting at WDW on August 8th. She just forwarded me an e-mail that DORMS sent her about Summer 1 Education Registration Update. It says that Summer Term begins May 16th and ends August 5th. Is this just a blanket letter they send out to everyone who's been accepted? This shouldn't apply to my daughter should it?

My daughter got the same email but she was accepted into the DCP Alumni program for the Summer and those are the dates for her term.

Hi Everyone. My DD is starting her Internship in California the end of May. We are looking for housing and hoping someone needs a roommate. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there. My DS is starting Aug 15 at WDW. Currently he is in Merchandise but he also has two outstanding interviews for professional slots. He waited until the summer after he completed his degree as he could not fit in the DCP program with his required studies. But working at Disney has always been a goal for him. We'll see where things go from here. Found this thread a little while back but never had the time to scan through it. Now that DS will be there, I need to get to reading!

DS just graduated and is starting on June 6 for Fall Advantage. He did Spring Advantage in 2014 and was in Merchandise (he helped open Marketplace Co-Op) and thought that would mean he'd get that again, but he'll be in Quick Service. He's just excited to be going again. After this he hopes to get a PI or a full-time CM slot.

DS just graduated and is starting on June 6 for Fall Advantage. He did Spring Advantage in 2014 and was in Merchandise (he helped open Marketplace Co-Op) and thought that would mean he'd get that again, but he'll be in Quick Service. He's just excited to be going again. After this he hopes to get a PI or a full-time CM slot.

Great! Here's tossing a little Pixie Dust the way of both our DSs. BTW- DS did not get anymore activity on the PI interviews, only to check in with his interviewer before the end of the CP semester. It is interesting that there are different starting dates for the same (at least I think they are the same) semester programs. I'll be driving to Orlando with my DS in August as he wanted his car with him and I thought the drive from Denver was too long for him alone.

Great! Here's tossing a little Pixie Dust the way of both our DSs. BTW- DS did not get anymore activity on the PI interviews, only to check in with his interviewer before the end of the CP semester. It is interesting that there are different starting dates for the same (at least I think they are the same) semester programs. I'll be driving to Orlando with my DS in August as he wanted his car with him and I thought the drive from Denver was too long for him alone.

Fall Advantage starts in May and the regular Fall program starts in August.

Hi everyone! DD is going into her junior year of college and wants to apply for the Spring 2017 semester. Can anyone tell me anything about being a Hospitality and Tourism major and the options open to them at the DCP? Do you happen to know when he application process opens for Spring 2017?

That is great to hear that she interested in the program. I did two while I was in college. Generally, the fall application will open up sometime in early September. I don;t know the exact date, but she can sign up online to receive an email once the application is open.

In terms of a hospitality and tourism major, she could request to work in one of the resorts at the front desk. However, unless something has changed in recent years, Disney could care less what your major is. There is no guarantee that you would get a position based on your major. Usually, they will ask you to rate your top three choices so if she really wants to work at the front desk, I woudl talk that up during her phone interview. The majority of CPs work at attractions, merch, and quick service food and beverage, They ask everyone on the phone interview if they are interested in Quick service food so unless she is okay doing that job, she should not say yes as there is a good chance she will end up there. I really wanted attractions in Epcot and got it both times so definitely talking up why she wants to work front desk woudl be a huge help if that's what she wants. At the end of the day, its less about where you work than the experience. She will have a great time no matter where she ends up. Plus all roles could relate to her major since it is very customer service orientated, unless you work behind the scenes (costuming and housekeeping) and those jobs are far and few between.

My biggest recommendation is looking over all the roles and deciding what she really wants to do. You have to be okay working a mickey ice cream cart if you pick quick service, just like you need to be okay working It's a Small World picking Attractions. If you don't want to work in the hot sun all day, don't pick Custodial or operations (I think that includes front gate and parking lot).

Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter