College Program Questions Thread, Pt 4

Hi, Brand new here -

A couple of questions: I just started reading and I'm already stumped with all the initials (like QSFB, KSR, GMR, EI, JC). I was wondering if there is a thread or place that I can look up initials to find out what they stand for. I'm sure after reading awhile I'll figure it out, but it'd be nice to know from the start.

Also, my daughter will be applying for the DCP (I know that one!) in a year or so and I wanted to know if she is going to college and getting a BA in General Studies (with minors in accounting, marketing, or something like that), is she eligible for the program? Or does she have to have a specific goal for her BA degree.

Thanks for any input.
Terry

The initials can be really confusing and I admit I'm not sure about all of them. I know the common ones you'll see here are:
QSFB- Quick Service Food and Beverage, think Cosmic Ray's
TSR/FSFB- Table Service Restaurant
VP- Vacation Planner
ODF- Outdoor Foods
MEO- Main Entrance Ops
GMR- Great Movie Ride
JC- Jungle Cruise
BB-Blizzard Beach
TL- Typhoon Lagoon
HS- Hollywood Studios DHS
EC- EPCOT Center not used often
EPCOT- Every paycheck comes on Thursday, Every Parent Carries out Toddlers, Every Person Comes out Tired... oh and Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow
MK- Magic Kingdom
DAK- Disney's Animal Kingdom, also AK
DTD or soon to be DS- Downtown Disney, which is in the process of being converted into Disney Springs
CP- College Program (participant, or the actual program itself), less often Culinary Program
ICP- International College Program
PI- Professional Internship, can vary from Guest Relations to Marketing to Management.
VW- Vista Way, Check in location for all CPs, ICPs, Cultural Reps, and some PIs. (The stories about Vista are WAY overblown)
CS- Chatham Square, the middle child of the housing complexes
PC- Patterson Court, The newest of the housing complexes.
TC- The commons, the most expensive of the complexes, however you get your own washer and dryer in apartment so I guess it's a good trade off? :confused3
CR- Cultural Representative or Contemporary Resort (use context)
DORMS- The pre arrival "check in" system where you fill out a bunch of paperwork before heading down to help speed up the check in process and specify preferences for living arrangements. (#of roommates, complex, specific people you want to live with)
And last, every CP's favorite one....
ER- Early Release you get out of that day's shift a little early

These were the main ones you'll see here in the college section. I'm sure I missed a few that others may want to chime in on.

And to answer your question, if she is actively enrolled in ONE class at the time of her application she's eligible for the program regardless of major/focus. Whether she gets academic credit for the program is up to the school.

What is the earliest you can do DCP? In the summer going into Freshman year of College?
How does DCP work, say, if you go to a college in NY. You can only do it in the summer?

I believe you can apply after your first semester. You can also apply immediately after graduation and you can also just be enrolled in on-line courses (unless it has changed).

I think you will need to take the semester off - this is what my daughter did.

Happy Planning!!!

the DCP can't be your first semester of college but you can apply during your first semester to go during your second semester.

You have to be enrolled in an accredited college so online classes through any accredited school should count.

You can either take the semester off, use it as a full-time internship (which is what I did), or take online classes. It really depends on your school/program. Best bet is to talk to your advisor to work it out with regards to classes/financial aid

Hi everyone! So I applied for the spring 2015 dcp last September and did not make it past the wbi. I was then told I have to wait 6 months for those results to expire before I apply again. Im now extremely afraid that will ruin my chances. As much as I would like to apply for fall 2015 the day applications can be done, I apparently have to wait until March. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm just very paranoid about it all. Thanks! :confused3

Well, not me, but DH. He applied today, we've been talking about it, but didn't really know the dates, then I looked online today while he was in class, found 1 PI/MI Retail that he would do wonderfully in. He only applied for that, as the other ones he just didn't have an interest in, or the right background in. Will it hurt him that he only applied for one? What is the pay for a PI? I assume it's higher than the DCP?

Well, not me, but DH. He applied today, we've been talking about it, but didn't really know the dates, then I looked online today while he was in class, found 1 PI/MI Retail that he would do wonderfully in. He only applied for that, as the other ones he just didn't have an interest in, or the right background in. Will it hurt him that he only applied for one? What is the pay for a PI? I assume it's higher than the DCP?

I can't say for sure as I'm not a recruiter, but I attended a session last fall during my college program with some recruiters for PIs, and I remember someone suggested NOT applying for too many, so it may be a good thing! They were talking about making sure you are actually qualified for the role on paper, because they have very little time to look at each resume initially as they receive so many, and they are just going to toss it/ignore it if you don't have the basic qualifications they are looking for. But even if you are qualified for many, narrowing it down to one or two shows that you are focused and know what you are looking to do, which is something they look for. Unlike the CP, where many people are just looking to get their foot in the door doing ANYTHING for the company, professional internships require more skill, knowledge, and experience. I hope this helps! Good luck to him! Sorry I cannot help you with the salary questions. I'm not sure if it varies by where you are working/what you are doing, but I would assume that they pay is higher than the rates that CPs make.

Good morning all
My dd#2 is living in Florida now but really wants to move to Orlando. If she's not a college student (she's 21) can she still apply for the DCP? Thanks!
(I did try to search this forum for this question but there is SO much information!)

Hey everyone, I just have a quick question. I applied on January 26th for the Fall 2015 DCP. I got my web interview a day or so after I applied and then I had my phone interview a week or so ago.
Generally speaking, how long does it take for the first round of acceptance letters to come out?
I'm just very curious about it all!
Thank you so much!:flower1:

Hey everyone, I just have a quick question. I applied on January 26th for the Fall 2015 DCP. I got my web interview a day or so after I applied and then I had my phone interview a week or so ago.
Generally speaking, how long does it take for the first round of acceptance letters to come out?
I'm just very curious about it all!
Thank you so much!:flower1:

I applied February 6, 2014 (I believe that's when apps went out) and was offered a position on February 27th, and I was the second day of acceptances. So, about 3 weeks last year.

Hey everyone!
I just had a question regarding the financial aspect of the DCP. I'm reading that there is a $300 deposit due upon acceptance of the program and then we pay weekly for housing. Does the money we earn in our position cover that as well as food while we are down there?
Thank you!

Hey everyone!
I just had a question regarding the financial aspect of the DCP. I'm reading that there is a $300 deposit due upon acceptance of the program and then we pay weekly for housing. Does the money we earn in our position cover that as well as food while we are down there?
Thank you!

The deposit is basically a paperwork processing fee, and it holds your "reservation" for a space in the College Program. You will earn enough to cover your rent, and enough food to live on. It probably won't be enough to go out to eat every night of the week, but I found (and CPs nowadays earn more than I did) that I could comfortably afford to buy reasonable groceries (I didn't live on ramen, but I also wasn't buying prime cuts of steak to cook), and still go out for dinner with friends/roommates around once every 7-10 days.

The deposit is basically a paperwork processing fee, and it holds your "reservation" for a space in the College Program. You will earn enough to cover your rent, and enough food to live on. It probably won't be enough to go out to eat every night of the week, but I found (and CPs nowadays earn more than I did) that I could comfortably afford to buy reasonable groceries (I didn't live on ramen, but I also wasn't buying prime cuts of steak to cook), and still go out for dinner with friends/roommates around once every 7-10 days.
Okay, awesome! Thank you so much!

Hi! I'm new here after I stumbled upon a giant thread about someone's DCP and fell in love. I'm planning for DCP Spring Advantage 2016, applications go up this Aug/Sept and I'm really worried. A lot of people say that it's hard to get into, but my major is Hospitality Management - Lodging/Tourism, but I'm going to a community college. My circumstance is actually really weird. I'm currently in highschool, yet college at the same time through dual-enrollment, and I graduate HS in May, and college in December. Fall will be my first semester outside of dual-enrollment or else I'd just apply now and do Fall.

Anywho, I have 2 summers (one is coming up still) work experience as a Lifeguard at a Cedar Fair brand water park. I really have a love for customer service and making people's experiences magical which is everything Disney stands for, it's what I'm passionate about and why I chose my career. How likely is it that they'll put me as a lifeguard even though I really want to go more for my degree, ie my top role is Concierge? I wouldn't mind being a lifeguard, I'll probably put it as my top 5, but after spending two summers at a water park, guarding major wave pool the entire summer, I just feel like I'd be so bored guarding a resort if I wasn't placed at one of the two water parks. I want the customer interactions, and you can't talk to guests while on stand. How good are my chances of getting in (also chances of Concierge?) with the two years exp at an amusement park, and 1 year in retail as well?

Also another thing - I am a MAJOR roller coaster enthusiast, I mean Cedar Point is in my backyard. Would I have time to go to all the amusement parks in Florida like Universal, Busch Gardens, SeaWorld, FunSpot USA, etc? I want the coaster credits. Plus the IAAPA is an expo held in Orlando every year in November, (The International Attractions and Amusement Parks Association) and I want to go to that. Would Disney allow me to get a student membership from them, as you have to be affiliated with a company to get in?

I'm just so nervous about this whole process, I could ramble on for days about my concerns.

Hi! I'm new here after I stumbled upon a giant thread about someone's DCP and fell in love. I'm planning for DCP Spring Advantage 2016, applications go up this Aug/Sept and I'm really worried. A lot of people say that it's hard to get into, but my major is Hospitality Management - Lodging/Tourism, but I'm going to a community college. My circumstance is actually really weird. I'm currently in highschool, yet college at the same time through dual-enrollment, and I graduate HS in May, and college in December. Fall will be my first semester outside of dual-enrollment or else I'd just apply now and do Fall.

Anywho, I have 2 summers (one is coming up still) work experience as a Lifeguard at a Cedar Fair brand water park. I really have a love for customer service and making people's experiences magical which is everything Disney stands for, it's what I'm passionate about and why I chose my career. How likely is it that they'll put me as a lifeguard even though I really want to go more for my degree, ie my top role is Concierge? I wouldn't mind being a lifeguard, I'll probably put it as my top 5, but after spending two summers at a water park, guarding major wave pool the entire summer, I just feel like I'd be so bored guarding a resort if I wasn't placed at one of the two water parks. I want the customer interactions, and you can't talk to guests while on stand. How good are my chances of getting in (also chances of Concierge?) with the two years exp at an amusement park, and 1 year in retail as well?

Also another thing - I am a MAJOR roller coaster enthusiast, I mean Cedar Point is in my backyard. Would I have time to go to all the amusement parks in Florida like Universal, Busch Gardens, SeaWorld, FunSpot USA, etc? I want the coaster credits. Plus the IAAPA is an expo held in Orlando every year in November, (The International Attractions and Amusement Parks Association) and I want to go to that. Would Disney allow me to get a student membership from them, as you have to be affiliated with a company to get in?

I'm just so nervous about this whole process, I could ramble on for days about my concerns.

You can not be dual enrolled in High School and College. You must be a HS graduate and officially be in college to apply. So you'll have to wait until you graduate and have had your first semester of college.

As far as lifeguarding goes, it is one of the more difficult roles to fill with qualified applicants. My DD was just accepted to the Fall DCP 2015 program as a lifeguard, although it was her #1 role she selected. If you select any interest level (high/medium/low) and you put on your application that you have experience in lifeguarding, it is a pretty good chance you will get assigned that role. My only suggestion to you is to NOT put it down as an interest and not put down your experience in lifeguarding in your jobs. Basically you can enter up to 3 job/volunteer experiences on the application. They can be paid or volunteer work experience. Just keep in mind that in doing so, you may reduce your chances for getting accepted into the program. But if you really do NOT want to do a particular role, than DO NOT put any interest or list any experience in that role. Even during your phone interview, if the interviewer asks you about a role you can tell them you have no interest in it. If you say you would consider it, then that is showing interest and you could be assigned it. I have seen one guy this year express low interest in lifeguarding but said he would be willing to do it in his interview and guess what role he got accepted to, yep, lifeguarding! So it really just depends on how badly you would like to get accepted and not worry about the role you get assigned.

Hi, everyone! I applied for the Fall 2015 program in both WDW and DL on Feb. 26. I immediately got my WBI, and was able to set up a phone interview for 3/4. I am still waiting to hear back, is that normal? I am still "in progress" and haven't received any "pending" emails. I am hopeful and optimistic, but the waiting game is killing me! Tomorrow marks four weeks

Hi, everyone! I applied for the Fall 2015 program in both WDW and DL on Feb. 26. I immediately got my WBI, and was able to set up a phone interview for 3/4. I am still waiting to hear back, is that normal? I am still "in progress" and haven't received any "pending" emails. I am hopeful and optimistic, but the waiting game is killing me! Tomorrow marks four weeks

Yes, it's normal. There are people that interviewed Jan. 28 that are still waiting. They have until April 20 to give you a response.

Yes, it's normal. There are people that interviewed Jan. 28 that are still waiting. They have until April 20 to give you a response.
Awesome! Thank you so much :) I was just worried because I had read somewhere that they notify you every 3 weeks with an update, but my dashboard still says in progress and not "NLIC" so that is a good sign! Thank you again for your fast reply!! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter