Colleges and Gap year because of Pandemic

wishesuponastar

DIS Veteran
My daughter is a sophomore in college, presently remote learning from home. She was telling me if her college will be remote next Fall she would want to take a Gap year because she doesn’t want to do another year of remote. Feels like she is not getting good education online. Plus she has a major that needs in person instruction.

But if you take a Gap year during a Pandemic does anyone know if the colleges will keep your scholarships available to you? Or do you lose your scholarships? Any parents here have a child who took a Gap year this semester/what happened with scholarship?

thank you in advance

The universities I work with require documentation of something enhancing their education to hold scholarships and eligibility for certain special programs. In pre-Covid times, this was often doing some type of charity work abroad (e.g. Peace Corps), working an internship, some type of travel, etc. Many of these options are not really available now. I know one admissions counselor who is fielding lots of calls about gap years from incoming freshman, and she is reminding them that to defer admission, they need to do ‘something’, just avoiding the pandemic isn’t a good reason for them (because remote classes are available).

So, If your school has similar policies, I guess you might want to consider what she’ll do, besides not go to school.

Way, way back when I was in college, if you took more than a 6 month break your federal student loans would become due. If your daughter has any loans I would look into if this has changed.

She should check with her financial aid office. Please note it would be a year off not a gap year. Gap year is for high school students who don’t go directly to college.

unfortunately at my college we are not allowed to guarantee scholarships saved due to the uncertainty of finances. Also our state program isn’t offering any changes to regulations.

My son is also a sophomore. If he took a year off, I believe the university would have saved his spot but would not have guaranteed his scholarship.* I also think it could have had insurance implications because to remain on our policy he needs to be a full-time student, I believe.

I also read an article (it was more about "redshirting" in kindergarten than the pandemic, but the principle still applies). It was talking about delaying entry into the workforce and what year of delay "looks like" in terms of retirement savings. I mean, it's probably not the end of the world -- there are lots of people who don't graduate in 4 years for many different reasons -- but since the money saved earliest has the longest to compound, it really did make a difference by the time you're 65. My son is not enjoying online learning either... but is still pushing through.

*I think they were offering to hold merit scholarships for incoming freshmen who decided to defer, under certain conditions, but not for current students who wanted to take a year off. I believe one of the conditions was that incoming freshmen could not take any classes elsewhere, like at a community college. If they did, they'd have to reapply as a transfer student for both admission and scholarships.

This is new for everyone.

If it were my student, I would have them talk to their college officials.

I would also not encourage an off year, especially under these current circumstances.

None of us expected this year. It's not the year any of us want.
Depends a bit on what you want to do with your gap year. For travelling, yes, not a good idea. But to go volunteering at a charity to boost your resume, yes, so many people and organizations need help, so you can almost have your pick. If you need extra time to figure out what you want, better do it at the beginning.

I also think it could have had insurance implications because to remain on our policy he needs to be a full-time student, I believe.
I don't know if it varies by state, but this used to be the case where I live in NY. It has since changed that they can remain on a parents' plan until age 26 regardless of their student status.

My daughter is a sophomore in college, presently remote learning from home. She was telling me if her college will be remote next Fall she would want to take a Gap year because she doesn’t want to do another year of remote. Feels like she is not getting good education online. Plus she has a major that needs in person instruction.

But if you take a Gap year during a Pandemic does anyone know if the colleges will keep your scholarships available to you? Or do you lose your scholarships? Any parents here have a child who took a Gap year this semester/what happened with scholarship?

thank you in advance

You're going to have to check with her university because right now, all "normal" bets are off. My daughter is in the same position and the university looks like they're already writing off spring semester, so her whole second year will be online. She doesn't think she can do her upper division work remotely and get anything out of it (she's a environmental biology major, so labs and field work are essential). But as of this past summer, the university was warning students that if they take a gap year, they risk losing scholarships and grant funding. Normally, they're supportive of gap years and students who need to take a hiatus but there are just so many looking for that option right now that they can't promise to hold their financial aid. So she's dealing with remote this year for the last of her pre-reqs and hoping for better things from next fall, and if her university decides to remain online next year, she'll be looking at transfer options to places where schools are taking a more measured response to the virus.

It is really, really frustrating to her right now seeing huge universities with tens of thousands of students reopening while her tiny school remains fully closed. But she's in San Francisco, where the mayor is imposing an even stricter reopening timeline than the state of California, which is in turn stricter than most of the country. Her professors cannot even work in their offices alone, with no students or support staff, so I really don't imagine the city will okay them bringing students back to campus before there's a vaccine.

My daughter is a sophomore and her university changed its policy temporaril, allowing students to defer and keep their scholarships, and allow them to take community college credits and come back as not a transfer (just like they can normally take summer classes at community colleges and not have to transfer back). My daughter is staying.

Yes - this will vary from school to school, so contact your Registrar's Office to find out for sure. At my institution (I'm a professor) a student could take a leave-of-absence for up to one year and retain financial aid during that time. Student loans may come due, depending upon what type of loans the students has. But all institutions are different (the policy at my institution was different just a few years ago), so please check your specific school.

My daughter graduated in May and my son is finishing up his last two college classes remotely. Since it’s been stressful on everyone, I think there’s more wiggle room, perhaps, there normally is. If there’s a way to stick it out it might be best, rather than chance not finishing. (Life has a funny way of getting in the way sometimes.) But if she did have a yearning to volunteer or do something else then it’s worthy of consideration, sure. Good luck. Tough times.

Last edited:
My DS is a Senior and we are very worried how gap years will affect the acceptance rate for incoming 2021 freshmen. After all, if a lot of people are deferring their 2020 freshman year (I don't blame them for doing so - I would), then they are essentially still freshmen in 2021. That does not seem like a good thing.

My Grandson is taking a gap year this year. Before he decided to do this, he contacted the school and they guaranteed that his very generous merit scholarship and honors placement would be there waiting for him next fall. This year he is working part-time for a company in their tech department, working on a website for his mom and continuing to study German.

Lumpy1106

I agree. It will be an interesting year next year also. Everything from perhaps overcrowded dorms and classrooms. Even the sports programs - how will recruiting/scholarships go with 2 year groups of freshman battling for placement.

Yes - this will vary from school to school, so contact your Registrar's Office to find out for sure. At my institution (I'm a professor) a student could take a leave-of-absence for up to one year and retain financial aid during that time. Student loans may come due, depending upon what type of loans the students has. But all institutions are different (the policy at my institution was different just a few years ago), so please check your specific school.

We will contact Registrar’s office. thank you all for your thoughts. Hope your families are well.

I don't know if it varies by state, but this used to be the case where I live in NY. It has since changed that they can remain on a parents' plan until age 26 regardless of their student status.

That is a federal law.
A little known beneficial provision (among many) from the oft-hated Obamacare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter