Colonoscopy 2/3 day prep? UPDATE on page 4!

Your doctor's office should provide specific instructions relating to the prep and what solutions to take. If the instructions weren't clear it is best to call and have them answer any questions you have. I thought it tasted somewhat like Gatorade and thought it wasn't that big of a deal like some people are saying. My doctor also provided information on things you can (and cannot) consume prior to the procedure.

I think splitting the prep over 2 days starting to become more normal. I had one a year ago and it was drink most the night before and then the rest 4-6 hours before procedure.
I just printed my direction for my next one and one and it is the Mirapex prep. It also has me saving 16oz for morning of the procedure and drinking it 4-6 hours before.

I always feel great (I’ve had seven in the last 8 years). It’s the best nap ever!!!
I agree, I'm usually a bit euphoric after the procedure. I know the whole thing sounds like the worst thing ever, but it really isn't. Best of luck to all having their first procedure, and enjoy that delicious meal that's waiting for you when you go home.:)

the first one I had my instructions were to drink "the drink" with so much water right after so time wise it was about 100 ounces of liquid in about one hr time--that didnt seem right so I called the RN said no that is right--well I knew I couldnt do that so I called again and got some one else who actually checked with someone where they do these and came back with more reasonable instructions

but the last one I had--I had an app set up I get a call about a week before saying there were going to have to push mine 3 weeks something to do with another patient and there insurance--I said no Im not going to last another 3 weeks either get my app back or Im not coming--Im a real basketcase in this
so they had to go to the powers above and moved me back to the same day just the next app I dont know why they couldnt have just done that in the first place

anyways I had to arrive at 830 so there getting me ready--only there was a problem with the first case which put the dr way behind--they didnt take me till 11

so I told DH that as soon as my eyes are open were out of there--well I wake up ready to go home and DH said I have to stay for awhile but wouldnt tell me why--until I said if you dont tell me Im leaving

so he said that I stopped breathing twice--the dr overdosed me on fentyal!!!--to the point they had to give me narcan to bring me out of it

it seems I was figidty so they kept giving my fentyal I think you can give it every 2 minutes--well the doses werent working so they kept giving me more until all the fentyal hit my system all at once

I was really upset when I heard all of this--
after a few days I called for the dr notes--which they sent me--a few days after that I get a call from the dr--I didnt ask for the dr to call back just the notes

anyways he said he was sorry he didnt call back sooner but just got back into town--well hes explaing all what happend--he has an accent so hes hard to understand in the first place-but as he was explaining his voice kept getting higher and talking pretty fast--finally I gave the phone to my DH as I couldnt understand him

I guess either I look for another dr or this is the last one Ill ever get

I dont like the idea I stopped breathing

I think splitting the prep over 2 days starting to become more normal. I had one a year ago and it was drink most the night before and then the rest 4-6 hours before procedure.
I just printed my direction for my next one and one and it is the Mirapex prep. It also has me saving 16oz for morning of the procedure and drinking it 4-6 hours before.
Would you mind sharing your instructions?

Would you mind sharing your instructions?
Buy
64 oz of gatorade (no red dye)
4 dulcolax tablets
8.3 oz Miralax
2 days before
Avoid nuts,seeds and salads
Mix gatoade and miralx together and put in fridge
Day before
Clear liquids all day (no red dye or dairy)
1pm take 2 of dulcolax tablets
5pm (start at 3pm if able)
start drinking Miralax mixture 8 ounces every 15-30 min.
Save last 16 oz for tomorrow morning
8pm swallow other 2 dulcolax tablets, even if you haven't completed Miralax mixture
Day of
Drink remaining 16oz of Miralax mixture 4-6 hours before procedure.
Stop all fluids 4 hours before procedure.

My first colonoscopy is scheduled in September and I’m doing the Mira lax Gatorade prep. My doctor said I can stretch the prep over a few days as long as I do a liquid diet but I don’t have specific instructions for drinking the mixture. Has anyone broken up the prep over a few days? I can’t handle all that liquid at once I have slow digestion. Can I drink 32oz one day then 32oz the next? Anyone ever done this? Thanks
One word. Supro. It is pills. Yes, 12 pills the night before, twelve the morning of, and still lots to drink, but none of the lousy taste or texture. I have Crohns and was never able to finish a prep (or at least keep it down). Told my gastro that I would rather have quintuplets with no pain meds. The last one was so easy!

Buy
4 dulcolax tablets
8.3 oz Miralax
2 days before
Day before
8pm swallow other 2 dulcolax tablets, even if you haven't completed Miralax mixture
Day of
That’s pretty close to my instructions (my colonoscopy is Wednesday), except 32 oz is to be done 4 hours before procedure the day of. And all 4 dulcolax at 5pm day before, the first 32oz of miralax mixture at 6pm

Oh, the prep- if only it were easy! I have family history and started age 35, and have gone in 3 year intervals until this year- told I can stretch out to 5.

A week prior I stop vitamins, supplements, and Advil. 5-6 days prior I shift my diet to no red meat, seeds, nuts, low fiber. Two days before I take a dulcolax and eat lightly easily digestible food like bread and rice. Prep day I take 1 dulcolax, have some toast with jelly and coffee and start the drink around 4 pm. I get through about 1/2 to 2/3 of the drink before I’m clear. Directions are to drink it all, but with the 2-day ‘prep’ (for me it is taking the dulcolax over two days), I’m clear we’ll before. I’ve done this 3 times and my doc approved (for me). I just can’t drink all that liquid- it makes me vomit. Maybe a longer prep will work better for you too for your own reasons.

If it’s your first one, ask your doc to clarify the ‘several days concept’. The goal is to be empty of everything when you go in for the procedure. Great that you are going - hope your test goes well!
I like your method the best. Do you mind giving me an idea what your diet 2 days before consisted of. Are these your exact instructions? Are you also doing the miralax prep? Thanks

Yep, I’m doing the pills next time-my mother who has Crohn’s had the pills for her most recent as well. The last one I had was the regular prep solution-not great but not as bad as I’d feared. Tastes much better if it’s iced-and but those nice butt wipes as you’ll get sore!

I Dreaded mine-and then my son, barely 11, got super sick in 2020 and had to have one-and in a city 2 hours away as no pediatric GIs here. So he had to prep in a hotel, super sick, during peak Covid. That was much worse for me than doing my own-now I’m just grateful the procedure exists (he was diagnosed with Crohn’s and has gained 40 lbs and 6” in 18 months).

I like your method the best. Do you mind giving me an idea what your diet 2 days before consisted of. Are these your exact instructions? Are you also doing the miralax prep? Thanks
Hi there- in terms of the medicine, I do the tablets (one morning of and one day before) and I prepare the liquid prep- Go Ligtly or whatever it is now- I did the Miralax once but did not like that prep- I could not keep it down. I prepare it with water a day ahead and make sure it’s cold. I can’t chug it, it goes down slow - why I start at 4, and finish by maybe 9 pm. I don’t want to be getting up to use the bathroom all night. I only drink about 2/3 of the liquid. There is a point when you know you’re good.

To answer your question about diet. Like I said, I try to switch to a low fiber and red meat-less diet a few days earlier. Two days before the procedure would be chicken noodle soup (light on the chicken), toast and jelly, maybe a fruit shake (no reds/no seeds) maybe mango or banana or something, some rice or mashed potatoes. Kinda plain, but it makes the prep easier and also the afterward easier too. I also find the the downshift in diet in the days leading up to the procedure helps the “prep” day be more tolerable- and it feels healthier.

I just had my first one and I was worried about the prep -- everyone says how awful it is!
I had the pills - Sutab - and it was a breeze.
Highly recommend.

My dh got a script for the pills. They also gave him a calendar of when to take it including what time to take the pills. They’re also doing an upper endoscopy cause he has issues with food getting stuck in his esophagus.
I’ll have to get mine scheduled soon cause I turn 45 in a few weeks.

Buy
4 dulcolax tablets
8.3 oz Miralax
2 days before
Day before
Day of

Buy
4 dulcolax tablets
8.3 oz Miralax
2 days before
Day before
Day of

Problem is, Gatorade now comes in 28 oz. bottles instead of 32 oz.

Once you mix it, you end up with more than 28 oz. That's why you need to mix it in another container.
I just got an extra one and used some. Mixed it in a pitcher we use for lemonade.
I have to get the no sugar one so less to pick from. I think I got Propel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter