Colonoscopy 2/3 day prep? UPDATE on page 4!

One prep I was prescribed was SUPREP Bowel Prep Kit. I almost did not finish it. I was worried I was not going to make my appointment the next morning. It was horrible. I don't remember what my first one was but it was tolerable too.

So my next test I was told to take 16 Dulcolax - 4 every few hours day before. I was a little worried I might end up with bad cramps in the ER but it turned out okay.

I heard SUPREP comes in tablet form. Has anyone tried them? I have another two years to go.

my dh got the suprep pills. His is scheduled next month.

I just scheduled my first colonoscopy. I was told the day before to take 4 Dulcolax at 2pm, 1/2 the nasty salty prep starting at 5pm and then the other half 5 hours before the procedure (4am for me).

Have cancer that requires me to have colonoscopies a lot. Please do not rely on the directions, advice and experiences of strangers who may not be medical personnel and may or may not have correct info. Excuse the all caps---- but CALL YOUR PROVIDERS OFFICE AND GET THEIR INSTRUCTIONS. Probably not much fun if you cannot do the procedure because you prepped in correctly.

Have cancer that requires me to have colonoscopies a lot. Please do not rely on the directions, advice and experiences of strangers who may not be medical personnel and may or may not have correct info. Excuse the all caps---- but CALL YOUR PROVIDERS OFFICE AND GET THEIR INSTRUCTIONS. Probably not much fun if you cannot do the procedure because you prepped in correctly.
I have been reading a lot of "advice" about pre-colonoscopy prep, including diet on the days leading up to "D" day. But even with everything that has been said I know I will do what is on the instruction sheet given to me by the doctor. Anything else is just bonus IMO. Like starting a low-fiber diet 3-5 days before. My doctor only advised against nuts & seeds.

I have to get a colonoscopy every 2 years due to manageable problems and I would only do what your doctor tells you to do. The gallon of nasty drink taste like crap but I swear its worse on the second day.

One prep I was prescribed was SUPREP Bowel Prep Kit. I almost did not finish it. I was worried I was not going to make my appointment the next morning. It was horrible. I don't remember what my first one was but it was tolerable too.

(Snip)

That’s interesting. I’ve had several. The prep for my first one was all OTC stuff and it wasn’t fun but it wasn’t that bad. For the next several, I had the huge jug of gross stuff. Each time it became less and less tolerable. (The last time I think I threw up almost half of it. The prep was apparently still acceptable though... which makes me wonder why they want you to drink all of it, if half will do!) I was several years late scheduling my latest colonocopy because I just couldn’t face the prep.

I talked to my doctor and she recommended the suprep this time (liquid, but a lot less volume than the regular prep). I found it MUCH more tolerable than the huge jug. Still gross, but I didn't throw up. I wasn’t offered tablet form… but that sounds even better.

Last edited:

Come back and let us/me know how he did with them and if he had to take anything else with the pills. TIA.
yes Last time I had the liquid and 2/3 the way through, I threw up. Now what? Who do you call at 3 am?? I went in for the test and all was fine, but yes, each time it's getting harder and harder to face that stuff. I'd rather take 5 pills every 30 mins (just making it up) than drink that gunk.

There are definitely several options - every doctor prescribes their "own" but will change to a different one if one cannot really tolerate one. My DH goes to a different doctor and prescribes an over the counter prep (Dulcolax, Gatorade & Citrate Magnesium drink, water). I did ask the nurse the time I had the horrible one and almost did not make it why he had changed it. She had told me that doctors feel some cleanse better than others. Who knows.......BUT definitely/always follow doctors instructions.

My prep Miralax/Gatorade was the instructions given by my doctor. It worked great in fact my doctor said I had the best colon he had seen all day, great prep. If anyone would be interested in my prep they would obviously need permission by their doctor first.

There are definitely several options - every doctor prescribes their "own" but will change to a different one if one cannot really tolerate one. My DH goes to a different doctor and prescribes an over the counter prep (Dulcolax, Gatorade & Citrate Magnesium drink, water). I did ask the nurse the time I had the horrible one and almost did not make it why he had changed it. She had told me that doctors feel some cleanse better than others. Who knows.......BUT definitely/always follow doctors instructions.
The magnesium citrate is no longer part of it due to it being recalled.

Yes, we had a hard time finding it. We finally asked the manager in the supermarket and CVS why the shelves had been empty for more than a week. We did find it at another local pharmacy. They told us it was not part of the recall. He is all done now.

I used it in June......and a couple times before that.
The OTC stuff worked so much better for me than the yucky liquid from years ago,
Insurance would not cover the pill.....well not for a good price so I was told I could use the OTC

I am surprised people are using the prescription preps like suprep and the gross salty preps. My dr. has patients use miralax prep and the nurse told me they use it because insurance will no longer pay for the RX preps since you can buy the miralax/dulcolax over the counter.

Don't you just love that it's the insurance companies making the ultimate decision on what preps are prescribed rather than the doctors?

I am concerned about my next 'scope. My sister had stage 4 colon cancer when she was 31, including 12 positive nodes. Surgery, radiation, chemo, colostomy... but she is alive 25 years later! My doc had me come in every 5 years for the first 15 years, but as I was always "clear" he said I could go 10 years this time. My concern is that since my last scope, I've had bariatric surgery, and now have a gastric sleeve instead of a stomach. There is literally no way I can physically consume a cup of liquid every 15 minutes. I usually can't consume a full cup of food as my meal! Even the pills will be an issue; right now I take 5 different supplements in the morning, and by the time I get them down, I can't drink anything for at least an hour. The bariatric surgery was the best thing I've ever done for myself, but I am concerned as to how the colonoscopy prep will go (because this is "the year" for me!)

Don't you just love that it's the insurance companies making the ultimate decision on what preps are prescribed rather than the doctors?

I am concerned about my next 'scope. My sister had stage 4 colon cancer when she was 31, including 12 positive nodes. Surgery, radiation, chemo, colostomy... but she is alive 25 years later! My doc had me come in every 5 years for the first 15 years, but as I was always "clear" he said I could go 10 years this time. My concern is that since my last scope, I've had bariatric surgery, and now have a gastric sleeve instead of a stomach. There is literally no way I can physically consume a cup of liquid every 15 minutes. I usually can't consume a full cup of food as my meal! Even the pills will be an issue; right now I take 5 different supplements in the morning, and by the time I get them down, I can't drink anything for at least an hour. The bariatric surgery was the best thing I've ever done for myself, but I am concerned as to how the colonoscopy prep will go (because this is "the year" for me!)
I will be having one almost 4 yes post gastric sleeve and I'm doing to miralax gatorade prep. I talked to my gastro Dr and he approved me spreading prep out over longer period of time.

The Miralax Gatorade prep looks interesting. I’m going to ask my dr if I can do that next time. My brother died from colon cancer at 38 so I have to get them every 5 years. I’m overdue due to the pandemic. I have a hard time keeping the usual prep down.

I had one a few years ago when I thought I might have had a scare...I'll never forget the gallon of that nasty horrible stuff you have to drink and the aftermath from that...totally disgusting.

My DH is doing the prep today. He is on an every 3 year schedule so he’s a pro at it. The hardest part for him is 24 hours without food.

Biggest take away from the thread is talk with your doctor if one prep seems too difficult. Maybe they can let you try a different one.

Reactions: GAN

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter