Colorado in December

Cheryl G

Earning My Ears
We are taking our first trip to WDW as DVC members this December - yea!! We are staying at SSR - all the times in the past that we have gone we stayed at the All Stars resorts. Anyway, I am trying to get the planning together for a trip to Colorado next December. Would appreciate any suggestions on where to stay (using points). Thanks!

Not about using points, but Colorado in December generally...

Our very first ski trip was to Breckenridge in mid-December, and it was absolutely wonderful. If you are a skier, December -- even in a very high resort like Breck -- is a crapshoot. You may have tons of snow, you may have very little, except what they make with snow machines (which you do NOT eat, BTW!) The weather may be rather warm...or downright Arctic. In our one week, we had both.

One thing you should understand about Colorado in December is that the early part of December is the lowest cost time of the year, and the period from about a week before Christmas until New Years is the MOST expensive...so about Dec 17, there is a HUGE jump in lodging and lift ticket costs.

Our favorite place in Colorado is the Aspen/Snowmass area, because of the variety of terrain and uncrowded slopes, and the cool, but not snooty, town. Breck is a very close second, and may actually be our fave if we go back because they have expanded the mountain substantially since we were first there.

We don't like Vail because we are not expert skiers and don't like either the skiing or the snooty town.

We have not been to Beaver Creek, but my cuz has and she loved it. Also have not been to Steamboat, but everybody I know who has been there raves about it.

Copper Mountain and Keystone are also in Summit County (with Breck) and I've heard nothing but raves about both.

Good luck on your decision, and have a great trip.

While you can't use points to ski at Copper Mountain, it's my favorite ski resort. The mountains are beautiful and the skiing is excellent (I'm an intermediate skier). They also have great programs for the kids.

One option you may want to consider if you want to use points is Park City, Utah. I've skied there and it's awesome as well. The drive from Salt Lake City is short and if you fly into Salt Lake in the am you can actually ski that day. I know there are several II resorts listed for Park City. I know the Marriott Slopeside will be extremely difficult to get, but it's an awesome resort right at the base of Pay Day lift.

Good luck with your decision.

If using points, we've traded into the Grand Timber Lodge in Breckenridge and loved it. There a lot of choices nearby, if you like to do more than ski. The skiing is good too, but prefer Copper Mountain or Beaver Creek.

Not a lot to do at Copper Mountain other than ski, but it's our favorite for skiing and only 30-45 min. from Breckenridge or Vail. Beaver Creek is like Vail. Not as snooty, but expensive.

First of all, let me thank you on behalf of the Colorado economy for planning a visit in our majestic state :teeth:

As a native Coloradoan I can offer you a couple of options. If you are using DVC points, I would stay @ Keyston resort. Keystone is a great ski area and the resort is lovely.

My personal favorite pick (skiing only opinion) is Copper Mountain. They also have 2 of my favorite restaurants in the world BTW. There is not much to the resort area, a couple of bars and restaurants and some shops, but I really enjoy it there.

A more "touristy" area would be Breckenridge. The town is lovely and definitely geared toward the tourist. If you do come in December, call the Breck Chamber of Commerce and see when they have their holiday season parade. Very fun!

My personal pick from a resident and skiier's point of view would be Vail. I go to Vail whenever I possibly can. The skiing is Wonderful! I am an advanced/intermediate skiier (no double diamonds for me, but everything else is OK) and they have trails for all levels. The town is Awesome, with so much to do and is just so beautiful.

I have never felt that anyone was "snooty" at all. Quite the opposite. I feel that the locals go out of their way to help and most people are just having fun. You want to see snooty....Aspen/Snowmass is your place :rotfl2:

Anyway, wherever you pick will be wonderful, just pack a bathing suit and heavy arctic gear...you never know what the weather will be :rotfl:

We are planning the same thing for next December. Right now we are looking at Keystone so that we can use our points via the Concierge collection. To give you an idea, a 3 bdrm condo in the River Run area of Keystone would cost 60 points/night next year the week BEFORE Xmas (Dec 15-22). On the 22 through New Years, the price per night for the 3 bdrm condo goes up to 123/night. So, like one of the other posters said, the week before is relatively inexpensive and the week of xmas is VERY expensive.

From someone who has skiied all of the previous resorts mentioned I would probably opt for the Keystone resort to stay at for several reasons.
1) Conceirge points from DVC and not having to battle with an exchange through II.
2) For a family with kids Keystone has a lot to offer besides skiing with their frozen lake for ice skating, sleigh rides and others.
3) Keystone has a free resort transportation system to its mountain and also Arapahoe and Breck. I can't remember if they still have one to Cooper or Vail.
4) The skiing may not be as good as Breck, Cooper or Vail, but it has been getting better and better through the years. And the other mountains are at most 45 minutes away (Vail), so you can get a summit pass and mountain hop if you will.
5) If you fly into Denver rather than Vail, then I believe it is one of the closest resorts compared to Vail, Breck, Aspen/Snowmass.
6) It just has a great family atmosphere.

If you do not have kids or your kids are older, then maybe a town like Breck or Vail might suit them better. No matter where you stay, as the other posters have mentioned, the other ski towns are great and should not missed. I would definitely plan a day to at least see the other towns if not ski there too.

Anyway, best of luck and I'll see you on the slopes next Dec. :wave:

And to 'thelionqueen' my DW and I have been trying forever to find a job out there so that we could join you in your 'magestic state'. Seems like everyone there knows the secret and is keeping it to themselves. I guess we'll just have to settle with retiring out there, so I don't have to look for a job. Now, if I could just get these lottery numbers correct.... :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter