Combining Disney with Universal/IOA

VT_HOKIE

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are starting to plan our next (fourth) trip to Disney. We are planning to go in October and would like to do a day at Universal and a day at IOA when we first get there. Has anyone else managed to mix the two together without it being too stressful to make it worth it? We want to stay at a hotel close to U/IOA that has a shuttle, but not stay on-site (too pricey). We plan to spend all day Saturday and all day Sunday then spend one more night at the hotel before we check into our Disney resort on Monday morning. Can anyone recommend a good, but not too expensive hotel that maybe has shuttle access to the parks? I don't really want to have to rent a car. How about transportation to Disney from U/IOA? Is it easiest just to get a taxi? How far apart are the parks? Any other advice you can offer to help make this a pain free process would really be appreciated. I want to go to all the parks, but if it gets to be too much of a hassel we will just spend the extra two days at Disney. I think I could handle that too!

Thank you so much!

VT_HOKIE

I have a US/IOA annual pass - so the hotels with the annual pass discounts aren't bad. there is also a Entertainment discount.

I drive down there (I hate to fly).

go look on both the Universal board and Orlando board for hotels close to US that have a shuttle - there are several.

but I really love the front in line entry that Universal gives you for staying in their hotels .... it definites wins with me!!!

Universal hotels are pet friendly - so Spicey had such a good time that we didn't even go to the parks - despite having an annual pass.....on our last trip.

we are going in November - my brother's family will be staying at Sheraton's Vistana Resort and I will be at BWV - but a couple of days I will definitely reserve Universal's Royal Pacific for the front in line entry - 2 teenagers boys in the group so IOA is a must!!!!

Can you tell me which of the Universal resorts is the best to stay at? What are the prices like? Are they shuttle or walking distance from the parks?

Thank you!

VT_HOKIE

There are three Universal resorts... you can see them on their website. They are each distinctly differnet in theming, but are all considered to be deluxe resorts, in comparison to Disney. We are staying at the Royal Pacific Resort this May when we go. We are staying one night at the AmeriSuites and one night at RP. We wanted FOTL, and you get that for the entire day you check in and also check out, so stay one night = get two days FOTL access.

The rates range from about $100 on up... $100 is hard to come by, I believe. We were able to get RP for about $160 a night, which was worth it for us to have the FOTL access.

There is a Universal Resorts board on here that has lots of info =)

Oh-they are all short walking distance to the park. 10 min or less, and there is a boat that you can also take. They are MUCH more convienent than most Disney resorts because there are only 3 of them... and their two parks are side by side.

When going to Universal I would absolutely try to get into the onsite hotels just to get the front of the line feature.

I haven't tried them yet but I'll be staying at Portofino Bay next month.

If going without a car, to haul you and the luggage over to Universal I'd take a cab. You can get Mears transportation, too, but I remember that being people who were going to the parks. I'm sure they'd also take luggage. Last time I checked it was $12 per adult and you had to call 24 hours ahead of time to reserve a place.

I'm a Hokie, too. Class of '86.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter