• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coming 2 America

It was fun cute nostalgia. Made for families. Think Daddy Daycare & Coming to America had a baby.
I thought the opposite. We started it with my 11 year old in the room, and had to turn it off after a bathtub scene. I still haven't finished it.

It was good. Good and terrible.

This movie just isn't funny (Leslie Jones excepted.) Eddie Murphy mailed it in but he seems happy just cashing checks these days. Arsenio brought nothing except the slight amusement for looking part Golden Girl and part sea monster after his face augmentation. Shari Headley (the worst part about the brilliant original movie) still can't act, hasn't had much practice in the intervening 30 years, and was unceremoniously handed the part of the griping shrew.

The original was one of the best comedies of all time. This is a sanitized empowerment lecture dressed as a comedy. Sadly, it isn't funny and the only attempts at humor are the cameos. Look, it's John Amos! The most surprising part of the movie is that so many of these people are still alive.

I didn't expect it to be close to the original but some effort at humor would have been nice. You can't top Soul Glo and the evisceration of the jheri curl, She's Your Queen to Be, and "You all know him as Joe the policeman from the 'What's Goin' Down' episode of That's My Momma," but some new jokes would have been nice. Eddie Murphy couldn't even bother to get Randy Watson right. Somehow Eddie got confused (or didn't care) and his Randy Watson became Rasputia from Norbit.

So much of what I'd heard about it was "the costumes are fabulous." I think because there really wasn't much else to say. I liked some of the musical tributes. It was nice to see some of those performers again. The costumes were very cool. I have to wonder if Puma isn't going to bring out a line of African inspired athleisure clothes (maybe it already has? That's not my thing.)

It seemed needlessly raunchy in some parts, but overly sweet in others, like it just couldn't figure out what it wanted to be.

Those barbershop guys are all Eddie Murphy, Arsenio, and some other guy, so they aged pretty well. :) Except for maybe the old Jewish guy, not sure who he is.

we totaly enjoyed it. the original was a fluff, funny movie and so is this. i was pleased to see that they managed to get in (as did the original) a nod to the movie 'trading places'.

It was awful. The cameos were ok, but the rest was just painful.

Agreed. I couldn't stand it. The first is one of my favorite comedies--I'll quote "Joe Louis is 137 yeard old" all the time. I thought this was just plain not funny.

It was good. Good and terrible.

This movie just isn't funny (Leslie Jones excepted.) Eddie Murphy mailed it in but he seems happy just cashing checks these days. Arsenio brought nothing except the slight amusement for looking part Golden Girl and part sea monster after his face augmentation. Shari Headley (the worst part about the brilliant original movie) still can't act, hasn't had much practice in the intervening 30 years, and was unceremoniously handed the part of the griping shrew.

The original was one of the best comedies of all time. This is a sanitized empowerment lecture dressed as a comedy. Sadly, it isn't funny and the only attempts at humor are the cameos. Look, it's John Amos! The most surprising part of the movie is that so many of these people are still alive.

I didn't expect it to be close to the original but some effort at humor would have been nice. You can't top Soul Glo and the evisceration of the jheri curl, She's Your Queen to Be, and "You all know him as Joe the policeman from the 'What's Goin' Down' episode of That's My Momma," but some new jokes would have been nice. Eddie Murphy couldn't even bother to get Randy Watson right. Somehow Eddie got confused (or didn't care) and his Randy Watson became Rasputia from Norbit.

Thank you for writing out what I wanted to, but didn't feel it the movie was worth the time it would take. I would only say that Leslie Jones was just as horrible as the movie.

BTW if anyone is looking for another good Eddie Murphy movie, check out Dolemite Is My Name.

he was great in that! after watching it we found a copy of the original dolemite movie and though it was so painfully bad to watch-it was worth it to see the dedication to authenticity the murphy movie put in.

I loved the first one when I was little! Watched it so many times ...

Watched it again only a few weeks ago as my boyfriend had never seen it.
Very curious to see the 2nd one, although, I'm not really having much hope for it to be great or anything, the trailer already put me off on the story to be honest, but will watch it anyways :p

It felt like Eddie Murphy wanted to hang out with a bunch of his friends and found a way to get paid for it. That said, while it's not Best Picture material or anything, I've done worse things with 90 minutes of my life.

I've finally seen it, and I must say, I thought it was really good! Some bits, like usually, was like a bit "meh" or "really??" but overal, I really enjoyed it. I didn't expect too much from it, as it is a sequel, have to be carefull with those.
But the fact he got all original cast back, even some from minor roles, was just great to see (apart from 1, I won't say, in case of spoilers).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter