Coming from NY. This is horrible

I think you should thank your lucky stars that people from your area can't travel to FL right now. I wish FL would impose this quarantine on MA. Our numbers were just as bad; we were third in the country for # of cases (behind NY and NJ) for months. Pretty sure the only reason they didn't was purely political. We have worked so hard to get our numbers down here and I fear that they will go up if people start traveling and/or letting down their guard.
We have thousands of dollars in canceled airfare credit from spring trips that couldn't happen. We had been hoping to get down to FL this summer to see my dad (in Bradenton) and DS24 (Orlando area). DS has the virus and my dad is staying home as much as possible. My dad says people in his area are terrible about wearing masks and he's had it with the ridiculous hoax theories. I worry about him due to his age and past heart issue. Both have stressed that it is absolutely not safe to travel to FL right now.

FL may not have a travel restriction on MA. But, MA has one on returning from FL and 42 other states. The only states NOT having travel restrictions to MA are the 7 Northeastern states: Rhode Island, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, New York, and New Jersey.

MA has a 14-Day quarantine for all other states.

"Even in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, Gov. Charlie Baker hopes tourists can still enjoy their “favorite places” in Massachusetts this summer. And beginning on Wednesday, visitors, both arriving and returning from seven other northeastern states will no longer be asked to self-quarantine first.

“People in those places should be able to visit Massachusetts without living up to that 14-day quarantine,” Baker said during a press conference, noting that the change “reflects the facts on the ground.”

The two-week quarantine advisory — which directs out-of state visitors to stay inside and avoid contact with people outside one’s household — remains in place for most visitors from other places, except for essential workers traveling to Massachusetts for work purposes."

https://www.boston.com/news/coronav...chusetts-out-of-state-travel-quarantine-rules

On July 1st, for the first time since March, Massachusetts had a day of NO COVID-19 deaths! :rainbow:

Congrats Massachusetts! :woohoo: Also, your state was the first state to put Contact Tracing into practice. I remember your Gov. and Dept of Health enacted it during your apex. You guys worked hard to eradicate COVID down to the levels you have. I hope it stays that way. :thumbsup2

FL may not have a travel restriction on MA. But, MA has one on returning from FL and 42 other states. The only states NOT having travel restrictions to MA are the 7 Northeastern states: Rhode Island, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, New York, and New Jersey.

MA has a 14-Day quarantine for all other states.

"Even in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, Gov. Charlie Baker hopes tourists can still enjoy their “favorite places” in Massachusetts this summer. And beginning on Wednesday, visitors, both arriving and returning from seven other northeastern states will no longer be asked to self-quarantine first.​
“People in those places should be able to visit Massachusetts without living up to that 14-day quarantine,” Baker said during a press conference, noting that the change “reflects the facts on the ground.”​
The two-week quarantine advisory — which directs out-of state visitors to stay inside and avoid contact with people outside one’s household — remains in place for most visitors from other places, except for essential workers traveling to Massachusetts for work purposes."​

On July 1st, for the first time since March, Massachusetts had a day of NO COVID-19 deaths! :rainbow:

Congrats Massachusetts! :woohoo: Also, your state was the first state to put Contact Tracing into practice. I remember your Gov. and Dept of Health enacted it during your apex. You guys worked hard to eradicate COVID down to the levels you have. I hope it stays that way. :thumbsup2
Thank you, and I hope things continue to go well where you are. I always appreciate your informative posts on many subjects.

No one should be going from NY/NJ to FL and then come back. Nearly every new outbreak you hear about now up here resulted in someone travelling to a hot spot and coming back and spreading it. The answer unfortunately is simple - if you can't quarantine - don't go.

As to the person who said FL is no different - you need to be burying your head in the sand to not see how different FL and states that ignored advice and opened to early are doing now compared to how states that acted responsibly are. Comparing FL now to NY months ago is an irrelevant distracting comparison.

LMAO. It's obvious the virus has mutated and not nearly as deadly as it was in March. That, and the FL governor didn't send the old people to die in nursing homes. I'd visit FL over NY any day of the week. And as far as general safety goes, waiting for them to call Snake Plissken to come in and rescue de Blasio.

New York total deaths: 32,388
Florida total deaths: 4.197

NY total cases: 426,798
FL total cases: 254,511

NY pop 19.45 million
FL pop 21.48 million

Last edited:

LMAO. It's obvious the virus has mutated and not nearly as deadly as it was in March. That, and the FL governor didn't send the old people to die in nursing homes. I'd visit FL over NY any day of the week. And as far as general safety goes, waiting for them to call Snake Plissken to come in and rescue de Blasio.

New York total deaths: 32,388
Florida total deaths: 4.197

NY total cases: 426,798
FL total cases: 254,511

NY pop 19.45 million
FL pop 21.48 million

Well, it’s not obvious to all of the experts who have been warning now to expect a major uptick in deaths from this based on the data they’re seeing and they have been 100% correct so far. But please keep believing whatever you want to believe to justify everything.

Well, it’s not obvious to all of the experts who have been warning now to expect a major uptick in deaths from this based on the data they’re seeing and they have been 100% correct so far. But please keep believing whatever you want to believe to justify everything.

"Experts" have been 100% correct so far???! LMAO!! :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Last edited:

I believe numbers and data. Not fear mongering.

It is amazing to me how people are justifying their own actions by saying that the virus is less deadly. Um, no. It's the same virus. Have our healthcare professionals gotten more experienced at treating this disease, thus bringing the death toll down? Yes, we're all giving them plenty of practice. Do they have more tools to fight it? Yes, remdesivir is helping as is dexamethasone. Are some older people staying home? Yes, they are. Have we gotten better at protecting the ultra-compromised like long term care facilities, yes we have. However, this virus will find its way into some of those facilities, and in fact, that's already happening. https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-cases-jump-in-sun-belt-nursing-homes-11594468980

The C.D.C estimates that 40% of cases are asymptotic. Some of those people work in places like nursing homes. And in many LTC facilities, the infection control technique is sub-par. The leaders of the states in the south in particular have made the horrific decision that they are not going to shut down their states. They are going to let it rip. And we're just beginning to see the consequences of these truly tragic and cold decisions. The deaths are starting to come up now, and will continue to go up, just due to the sheer number of people who will be infected. And as Dr. Peter Hotez, infectious disease expert at Baylor said yesterday in an interview with CNN:

"With rising COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations sending many states backward in their reopening plans, one health expert warns that if the US continues on its current path it will reach “one of the most unstable times in the history of our country.”

“We will have hospitals overwhelmed and not only in terms of ICU beds and hospitals — and that’s bad — but exhausted hospital staff and hospital staff that’s getting ill themselves,” Dr. Peter Hotez, the dean of tropical medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, told CNN Friday night. “So, we won’t have enough manpower, human power, to manage all of this.”

If anyone thinks that sounds "over the top". It's not.

It is amazing to me how people are justifying their own actions by saying that the virus is less deadly. Um, no. It's the same virus. Have our healthcare professionals gotten more experienced at treating this disease, thus bringing the death toll down? Yes, we're all giving them plenty of practice. Do they have more tools to fight it? Yes, remdesivir is helping as is dexamethasone. Are some older people staying home? Yes, they are. Have we gotten better at protecting the ultra-compromised like long term care facilities, yes we have. However, this virus will find its way into some of those facilities, and in fact, that's already happening. https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-cases-jump-in-sun-belt-nursing-homes-11594468980

The C.D.C estimates that 40% of cases are asymptotic. Some of those people work in places like nursing homes. And in many LTC facilities, the infection control technique is sub-par. The leaders of the states in the south in particular have made the horrific decision that they are not going to shut down their states. They are going to let it rip. And we're just beginning to see the consequences of these truly tragic and cold decisions. The deaths are starting to come up now, and will continue to go up, just due to the sheer number of people who will be infected. And as Dr. Peter Hotez, infectious disease expert at Baylor said yesterday in an interview with CNN:

"With rising COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations sending many states backward in their reopening plans, one health expert warns that if the US continues on its current path it will reach “one of the most unstable times in the history of our country.”

“We will have hospitals overwhelmed and not only in terms of ICU beds and hospitals — and that’s bad — but exhausted hospital staff and hospital staff that’s getting ill themselves,” Dr. Peter Hotez, the dean of tropical medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, told CNN Friday night. “So, we won’t have enough manpower, human power, to manage all of this.”

If anyone thinks that sounds "over the top". It's not.
Just stop cause that's fear mongering. 🙄. Cases are supposed to be rise with more testing. 🙄

I understand why Florida would restrict people from hot spots. This is a too bad since a large number of visitors to WDW are from NY/NJ. It makes it impossible for us go at this time. We are DVC members and are going to lose 138 points because we are unable to go.

I understand why Florida would restrict people from hot spots. This is a too bad since a large number of visitors to WDW are from NY/NJ. It makes it impossible for us go at this time. We are DVC members and are going to lose 138 points because we are unable to go.
So do I. But that's not what they're doing.

Florida *is* the Hottest of Hot Spots right now. And so Florida restricting any other state is laughable and ridiculous. Personally, as a resident of NJ, I am glad that they are supposedly still requiring a quarantine on their end. As for enforcing it, that's another thing. As a nation, we seem to be seem to be operating on some kind of honor system. And what we're all learning is that we have a lot of citizens who have little honor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter