Coming from NY. This is horrible

NY and NJ had many cases for months and unfortunately, now it's Florida's turn. The virus hits more in areas where there is no herd immunity. It's America and people who want to travel and take a risk will do so. If you are worried of catching the virus, you should not visit anywhere and try to stay as safe as possible. Hopefully the virus won't last for too long!!!

There. Is. No. Herd. Immunity. Anywhere.

NY and NJ got things under control because we, as citizens of those states, (most of us, anyway) did our part by following the stay-at-home orders, masking up, and socially distancing. FL watched all that and said, screw that. And look where it’s got them.

Also, the cases in NJ and NY were much higher then reported. With my job, I called COVID patients daily and MANY of them said they had many family members sick that didn't get tested because they knew they had COVID. Many patients diagnosed with COVID had other family members sick who didn't count because they were never tested. My niece who lives in Manhattan had 3 or 4 friends who were definitely sick with COVID but never got tested. Numbers don't always give the whole picture!

Florida is in the same situation now. Underreporting, under testing. FL is also lying about their numbers, whereas New York just didn't have the capacity to count them.

Exactly. I don't think people realize how bad things got in New York in April, I didn't really realize myself until I got out of the city. And we did NOTHING. I barely left my house for six weeks straight. You can reference some of my posts here from that time! I can only imagine how awful these numbers are going to be in a place that is open, people are still going out and are not being careful as far as wearing masks. Yes, we know more now and hopefully, being out in general won't be a huge issue, but wearing masks, staying away from crowds as much as possible and respecting that this is a real issue needs to happen.

Also, the cases in NJ and NY were much higher then reported. With my job, I called COVID patients daily and MANY of them said they had many family members sick that didn't get tested because they knew they had COVID. Many patients diagnosed with COVID had other family members sick who didn't count because they were never tested. My niece who lives in Manhattan had 3 or 4 friends who were definitely sick with COVID but never got tested. Numbers don't always give the whole picture!

No kidding. This is not news to anybody. At the time that those states were in the worst of it, there wasn’t enough testing to be had.

Exactly. I don't think people realize how bad things got in New York in April, I didn't really realize myself until I got out of the city. And we did NOTHING. I barely left my house for six weeks straight. You can reference some of my posts here from that time! I can only imagine how awful these numbers are going to be in a place that is open, people are still going out and are not being careful as far as wearing masks. Yes, we know more now and hopefully, being out in general won't be a huge issue, but wearing masks, staying away from crowds as much as possible and respecting that this is a real issue needs to happen.

Many people that got sick after the first "wave" got sick from family workers, were health care workers or went to work and got exposed to a sick co-worker. That's why it went on for months!

NY and NJ got things under control because we, as citizens of those states, (most of us, anyway) did our part by following the stay-at-home orders, masking up, and socially distancing. FL watched all that and said, screw that. And look where it’s got them.

There alot more people walking around in NJ/NY that were exposed/have antibodies/had COVID, then there are in Florida, so MORE people in Florida are suseptible to it!!!

There is more herd immunity in NJ/NY then there is in Florida. No, it's not at the number it needs to be at BUT more people in NJ/NY have immunity to COVID whereas Florida, Arizona, Texas etc. do NOT.

I'm in Mass. We weren't hit nearly as hard as NYC in March and April but it was really bad for awhile here. We are finally stabilizing and opening back up. I barely ever left my house in April and May and you can be sure I was always wearing a mask. I just got back from NC which is currently spiking in cases and so many people were out and about WITHOUT masks. I was in shock. Here in the Boston area almost no one is without a mask. I'm doing my part by quarantining for the next 14 days. People in states that are spiking need to follow the lead of the Northeast, especially knowing what we know now. Wear a damn mask!

Yes! I’ve had relatives in Florida tell “we’re going through our peak.” How do you know it’s your peak?? When NY hit our peak we were shut down, doing everything we could. Florida has these numbers and much of the state is still business as usual.m
ETA: I will never forget NY in April for as long as I live. I think people on this thread arguing that’s it’s not that bad, means they just are removed enough from it.

No kidding. This is not news to anybody. At the time that those states were in the worst of it, there wasn’t enough testing to be had.
I didn't get "anger" from this ^^^^^
What happened to people talking civilly to others??? Carol Ann get some therapy for your anger!
I did, however, get "anger" from this ^^^^^

There is more herd immunity in NJ/NY then there is in Florida. No, it's not at the number it needs to be at BUT more people in NJ/NY have immunity to COVID whereas Florida, Arizona, Texas etc. do NOT.
I'm not sure herd immunity is actually a thing with COVID-19. My understanding is that they are still unsure it's a possibility with Covid. You also need to understand that those of us in the Northeast literally stayed inside for two months, going virtually nowhere. When we did, it was masked up!

It's all about hospitalizations/deaths vs. cases.
I'm not so sure about that for two reasons.

First, cases are certainly not the only thing to look at, but they do indicate the direction in which we are heading. Obviously, Florida is very concerned in the recent surge of cases since we started reopening...and with good reason. And the Fall semester return to campus is still a month away.

Second, we focus a lot on deaths because those numbers are the most dramatic. They grab our attention.

But we have yet to learn what the long-term effects are going to be from this illness. Surely, many patients who survive are going to have long-term respiratory effects -- which can lead to many other medical problems down the road. These long-term effects are one of the biggest unknowns about covid right now.

Yes! I’ve had relatives in Florida tell “we’re going through our peak.” How do you know it’s your peak?? When NY hit our peak we were shut down, doing everything we could. Florida has these numbers and much of the state is still business as usual.m
ETA: I will never forget NY in April for as long as I live. I think people on this thread arguing that’s it’s not that bad, means they just are removed enough from it.

100% this.

I live on the Upper West Side. When I went running in the morning, I would run past the hospital tents in Central Park. There were a few weeks where you would hear ambulances every five minutes, all day, all night. My brother lives in Brooklyn and the hospitals near him had multiple frozen morgue trucks parked outside.

All of us who lived through it have a sort of PTSD that's not going away anytime soon. I don't say this to scare you, but you really don't want this to happen to you.

One question I have about covid is how long a person is contagious.

Does anyone have any believable Google-Smart answer for that?

100% this.

I live on the Upper West Side. When I went running in the morning, I would run past the hospital tents in Central Park. There were a few weeks where you would hear ambulances every five minutes, all day, all night. My brother lives in Brooklyn and the hospitals near him had multiple frozen morgue trucks parked outside.

All of us who lived through it have a sort of PTSD that's not going away anytime soon. I don't say this to scare you, but you really don't want this to happen to you.

Yes to the PTSD. I live in a quiet neighborhood, so the sirens stood out so much. I was incredibly tightly wound about certain things, and it took time to relax from that once I got out of the city. I will be going back soon and am a bit nervous about "reverting" as the city is not what it was in the spring now and a bit of my progress would probably do me good there. But I immediately get anxious when people are anywhere near me these days, which I hope can someday not be quite so prominent.

One question I have about covid is how long a person is contagious.

Does anyone have any believable Google-Smart answer for that?

Most people with coronavirus who have symptoms will no longer be contagious by 10 days after symptoms resolve. People who test positive for the virus but never develop symptoms over the following 10 days after testing are probably no longer contagious, but again there are documented exceptions. So some experts are still recommending 14 days of isolation.

Link: https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/if-youve-been-exposed-to-the-coronavirus

What happened to people talking civilly to others???
I don't know what happened to it. Let's see. Ok. I've put on my Perry Mason hat. Or Matlock if you prefer and I am on the case.
Carol Ann get some therapy for your anger!
Oh that's what happened. It didn't even last through the very post complaining about a lack of civility.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter