Communities with an HOA

I would be annoyed if neighbors were not following the rules. If you need a large truck to do your job then you need to live somewhere that will accommodate you, or park it someplace else and drive to it daily. If the beeping work me up at night I would be really annoyed.

There are plenty of non-HOA neighborhoods. You don't have to live in one if you don't want to follow the rules.
Yeah, I have never lived with an HOA and I have always lived places were some of the neighbors worked in the trades and had work vehicles vehicles at home. Guy across the street is a contractor, and his SIL lives with him and they have a work truck and a work van, but they are the normal 1/2 ton trucks, not some huge commercial vehicle. One neighbor used to own a body shop, and had a tow truck at home but it fit in his garage.
At a past job a co-worker lived in an area with very strict HOA rules. No vehicles of any kind allowed on the street, or in the driveway after 8 pm. They had to be in the garage, or parked outside the community in an unsecured lot. This co-worker had their home shot up twice at night. The HOA rules prevented police from setting up a stake out, because their vehicles would stand out in a community where cars are not allowed in the street or in driveways overnight,.

Definitely wouldn’t be allowed in driveways in my town, no commercial vehicles, RV’s or boats. No overnight parking on the streets, no front yard fences, need a variance for backyard fences over 4 feet, need a permit to take down trees... Once a new neighbor started parking her car on her lawn, that ended quickly. No HOA’s here, just laws.
Interesting. Most of the houses in my subdivision have RV access as a selling point. And fences in the back are required. 6 foot being the usual height.

So do tow trucks never pick up a car in your area between 11pm and 7am? No deliveries from large trucks?
I work very early hours, have to be at work at 3 am. I see repo tow trucks out several mornings a week. So THOSE do pickup cars overnight

Check to see whether it's also against the city ordinances in your town. In my town, it IS against City code to park vehicle greater than 12 tons in any residential area, even on private property. There are two reasons. 1, trucks of that side driven consistently do damage to city residential roadways, which are not rated for consistent use by vehicles of that size. This leads to maintenance be required more often, which adds to city expenses for everyone. 2, it diminishes the property values of the neighborhood. Don't believe it? Ask ANY real estate agent. There are limits to personal property rights, and that is where your "right" to do something interferes with the "rights" of others. There is no unfettered right to do whatever the heck you want when you live as part of a community. You want to make a trash heap out of your property, move out into the country where you bother no one but yourself.

We've had the County owned garbage more than once get stuck in sink holes on my street. They are destroying the street. Never seen anyone in my area with a commercial truck anywhere near that large on my street that kept it at home..

The point isn't about whether any of us would mind having a commercial truck/trailer in our neighbor's driveway. The point is - the neighbor purchased a home and agreed to abide by the HOA rules and now is breaking the rules. If he doesn't like the rules he shouldn't have bought a home there. It is reasonable for the OP to have bought a home with a set of rules and to expect that everyone follows the rules. We can argue if the rule is good/bad - but the truth is the neighbor signed a paper saying he would agree to the rules - so at the moment he is the one at fault here.

We have an HOA, for the money we pay they do very little. I had a neighbor who had a totaled pickup in their driveway for over a year. Because we are friends I did not complain to the HOA but I do know that some other neighbors did complain. When contacted by the HOA about the truck he told them to bugger off and that was the end of it. So other than taking care of the neighborhood pool (open for 3 months a year) they appear to do very little and have no authority.

Our previous home was a condo, the HOA there was terrific. They did all the lawn stuff, maintained the outside of our building, and it covered trash and water.

Sorry...I live in an HOA and I say I would ignore it. We lived next door to people who had a commercial business and I would never have dreamed of reporting them to the HOA. If the HOA wants to deal with it then they can but the complaint wouldn't have come from me. I get that its against the rules but unless I am on the HOA board I also don't think it's my place to police the HOA handbook.

It isn't a horn. It's a high pitched beep beep beep to let others around know the vehicle is backing up. It is loud and obnoxious.
There's a reason it's loud and obnoxious. It's to let someone know (not the driver or anyone in the vehicle) that the vehicle is backing up and you should be careful moving around it. I mainly see it on vehicles that are large or don't have a rear window (just side mirrors).

Just curious, but under the new rules would the truck I'm describing in our neighborhood be covered under your new rules? If our HOA board got together and decided to rewrite the rules and it was then okay for anyone to park commercial vehicles in their driveways, then I wouldn't have the right to complain about it. I wouldn't vote for such a change and if it happened, I wouldn't like it, but I would have to live with it, and I understand that.
The HOA I was part of was a townhouse HOA that was responsible for all exterior maintenance. Allowing a larger/heavier commercial vehicles on the driveways long term would have been a non-starter due to the long term damage it could do to the driveway that the HOA is responsible for.

That same neighborhood had a 72 hour rule regarding RVs and trailers for the same reason.

The beeping, regardless of whereever the house is located at, would drive me bonkers. That would be hard to ignore IMO. Maybe it's like trains to some people though where they get used to it, where they end up really liking the sound but for me personally HOA neighborhood or not that would be annoying.

Does the neighbor have to back the vehicle in? Even if you ignore the HOA rules.
Considering he's driving a tow truck I'm going to guess the owner is pretty handy. I bet that backup alarm could easily be put on a switch and that is something the owner could handle.

This would require talking to them face to face and reaching an agreement though instead of reporting it to the HOA. Now that the HOA is involved I'm going to guess the neighbor is going to be less likely to compromise.

Check to see whether it's also against the city ordinances in your town. In my town, it IS against City code to park vehicle greater than 12 tons in any residential area, even on private property. There are two reasons. 1, trucks of that side driven consistently do damage to city residential roadways, which are not rated for consistent use by vehicles of that size. This leads to maintenance be required more often, which adds to city expenses for everyone. 2, it diminishes the property values of the neighborhood. Don't believe it? Ask ANY real estate agent. There are limits to personal property rights, and that is where your "right" to do something interferes with the "rights" of others. There is no unfettered right to do whatever the heck you want when you live as part of a community. You want to make a trash heap out of your property, move out into the country where you bother no one but yourself.

Thanks. I'll look into this! And yes, you are right about property values. If, or when, we sell our house, I doubt it would be much of a selling point to have this truck parked right next to our yard.

Our main home and our lake home both have HOAs and we love them. No lawn maintenance, road maintenance, trash issues, show removal, and a multitude of other plusses make our lies easier.

I would be annoyed if neighbors were not following the rules. If you need a large truck to do your job then you need to live somewhere that will accommodate you, or park it someplace else and drive to it daily. If the beeping work me up at night I would be really annoyed.

There are plenty of non-HOA neighborhoods. You don't have to live in one if you don't want to follow the rules.

Exactly. We are paying fees to live in a neighborhood that has rules that should apply to everyone, not just the ones who choose to comply with them.

I guess it depends on when they are leaving. The OP says the neighbor sometimes leaves and returns during the night (I'm assuming because he's a tow truck driver)..yeah if it's 11pm, 1am, 2am, etc and it's waking me up that is worse than if it's 9am,10am, etc for me personally. Tow truck driving is normally unpredictable times so I really do feel for the OP there.

It would also depend if there was an issue with parking on the streets and like the PP mentioned the weight and wear and tear on residential roads (not all tow trucks are the same size). I don't really like when people park on the streets here because while the road is a bit wider it's still not wide enough to safely have 2 cars going and a car parked on the street much less a commercial vehicle but that would take care of the beeping. It probably would create another annoyance though.

Yes, there are rules that state no cars are to be parked on the streets. The rules also state that if you have a commercial vehicle, it must fit inside your garage and must be parked in there, not in the driveway.

OP, most people in HOA's follow the rules. So, having them is a good idea. Unfortunately, there will always be those that don't. The HOA only has so much power under the law, but I like my HOA. Most of my neighbors follow the rules, which I feel are reasonable.

It's like people who pay a small fortune to buy a nice home and then let it go to pot. I've never understood why people spend so much on something and not take care if it. They know when they buy that it will require maintenance. They just don't care. It's the same for some people buying in an HOA. They know there are rules to be followed. They just don't care.

Yes, you are so right! I agree, most people do follow the rules and are very respectful of others. I'd say that the majority of homeowners in our community have no issues with the bylaws and, by far, the majority of the homes are well taken care of.

A few months ago, after Christmas, several portable basketball hoops appeared on the strips of grass between the sidewalks and the street. They were left there 24/7. It wasn't long before the HOA sent notices to everyone reminding them that it is a violation of the rules to leave the hoops there when not in use. Within a day or two, the basketball hoops were removed and they're put back in place only when kids are using them. When not is use, the hoops are removed. I'm sure it isn't easy to drag these hoops out and return them to the garage or backyard when not in use, but that is what they're now doing. They know the rule and they are complying with it.

Like you said, though, there will always be a few that don't follow the rules. Unfortunately, we have one of those few living next door to us.

The point isn't about whether any of us would mind having a commercial truck/trailer in our neighbor's driveway. The point is - the neighbor purchased a home and agreed to abide by the HOA rules and now is breaking the rules. If he doesn't like the rules he shouldn't have bought a home there. It is reasonable for the OP to have bought a home with a set of rules and to expect that everyone follows the rules. We can argue if the rule is good/bad - but the truth is the neighbor signed a paper saying he would agree to the rules - so at the moment he is the one at fault here.

YES, exactly!

Considering he's driving a tow truck I'm going to guess the owner is pretty handy. I bet that backup alarm could easily be put on a switch and that is something the owner could handle.

This would require talking to them face to face and reaching an agreement though instead of reporting it to the HOA. Now that the HOA is involved I'm going to guess the neighbor is going to be less likely to compromise.
Didn't another poster mention that they highly doubt a company would want you to turn that off? I mean if they could that would probably be quite nice I'm sure :)

I don't think it's fair to place blame on the OP here. The homeowner should know that they cannot have their commercial vehicle (eta: well out and about rather than in their garage per the OP's comments) in the neighborhood based on the HOA rules, AND can't you easily just say the homeowner who has the tow truck could be more considerate of their neighbors? IF the tow truck driver could easily flip the switch can't the case be made that he/she could have considered just how much noise would be generated each time they backed up every day? And this doesn't even require one to be in an HOA neighborhood. Neighborly consideration isn't confined to being in an HOA neighborhood.

We live in an HOA. Their rules are more of a guideline. If you goto court you can almost always beat an HOA rule. Especially if it’s like flying a flag or Xmas decorations etc. Of the HOA. Association doesn’t work with a given person or family. And if it is a silly issue. Court will fix it.

I'm talking about this specific case. It is the immediate neighbor making complaints and I have no reason to assume the OP wouldn't have complained about our tall grass.

And no, it isn't the HOA's responsibility to know people's personal issues. But that would have been devastating to our situation, just because a neighbor was worried about some inconsequential issue that was outside of our control.

I'm just really grateful I don't live in that type of community, honestly. Unless my neighbor is doing something illegal, I don't think it is my business, but I choose not to live in a community with an HOA, so I am fortunate that I have freedom with what I choose to do with my property.
HOAs have benefits too, so its not fair to poo-poo one when you haven't lived in one to speak from experience. Anyone who moves into an HOA is aware of the bylaws and what they are signing up for, so they should be in agreement. If they are in agreement, one can assume whatever they want to do with their property would be within those guidelines anyhow. Its been mentioned that HOAs help to maintain property values and some also maintain lawn/snow, but our HOA also has a playground, walking trails, commmunity center and pool. We do a Turkey Trot to raise money for the food bank. We have a neighborhood cook-out on Halloween and during the summer. Having the HOA and regular meetings allows us all to stay connected and build a community, which doubles as a neighborhood watch.

As has been mentioned, an HOA is not for everyone. But it doesn't mean they're a bad thing.

Probably against the law to turn off the back up beeper.
Could be I confess I don't know the specifics around that. I just know I would be annoyed with constant beeping. At least with all the construction going on in my neighborhood I know a home will be completed at some point..that the construction noises will stop at some point (and there are ordinances when noise can happen which def. do not include overnight hours) when the home is at a point where it's interior stuff and when it's complete. The OP has no idea how long the tow truck will be around.

I was a STAUNCH anti-HOA person. That is, until my neighbor built a wall hard up against or driveway making it unusable. Although he broke several city codes doing it, the city would do nothing because it was under 4 feet high. So...off to court we go. It's been 6 months so far and it will be another 2 before our attorney even meets with a judge, probably another 6 months before he will have to take the wall out. We're out of pocket $10K in legal fees already and expect that to double. We have a very strong case, but that's no guarantee. Do I wish we lived in an HOA community where the community would have gone to bat for me? Yes, a thousand times yes.

Hang in there - it sounds like the HOA will take care of it for you.

Our main home and our lake home both have HOAs and we love them. No lawn maintenance, road maintenance, trash issues, show removal, and a multitude of other plusses make our lies easier.

Some people think the rules that they agreed to when they bought the house don't apply to them. It's perfectly ok not to want to live in a place where commercial vehicles aren't allowed. Fine. Don't live there. But don't buy in there anyway and just ignore the rules, which is what the OPs neighbor is doing.

I'm talking about this specific case. It is the immediate neighbor making complaints and I have no reason to assume the OP wouldn't have complained about our tall grass.

And no, it isn't the HOA's responsibility to know people's personal issues. But that would have been devastating to our situation, just because a neighbor was worried about some inconsequential issue that was outside of our control.

I'm just really grateful I don't live in that type of community, honestly. Unless my neighbor is doing something illegal, I don't think it is my business, but I choose not to live in a community with an HOA, so I am fortunate that I have freedom with what I choose to do with my property.

Mowing your grass is always in your control. If you can't do it yourself you find or hire someone to do it for you.
Sorry but those who expect rules to be bent or broken for them don't belong in HOAs. You agree to certain rules, it is your responsibility to follow them even if it is at an inconvenience to you. Folks with an entitlement mentality have plenty of other places to move too. Those who move into HOA controlled neighborhoods should expect to follow the rules and their neighbors too. Thats kind of the point to moving there.

And I don't like HOAs, never would move where there was one, but I do believe in following the rules one agrees too. That is just common sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter