Compare Atlantis to Splash Mountain

Cameo

DIS Veteran
Please compare Atlantis to Splash Mountain as far as how wet you get and the size of the drop. My DD doesn't like SM, but will tolerate it. Actually, getting wet bothers her more than the drop. Thanks!

The drop itself on Atlantis is longer and steeper than the one on Splash Moutain. Consequently you do move faster on Atlantis. You also do get a bit wetter. In the wet department I didn't notice a huge difference, and we were everywhere from the front to the back on both rides. But there was a bit of a difference.
There's also a roller coaster style thing at the end after the major drop. You go back up into the building and the water disappears and you're on a mild roller coaster. That ends in another splashdown, much smaller than the big one.

I LOVE :umbrella: Splash Mountain, and I hate drops. I feel comfortable on Splash. On JTA, I was scared to death. The drop on JTA was steeper, faster, and longer, plus, the ride it's self is kind of wacky. On the Minnie roller coaster, there are drops in the dark, and they are really scarry. On Splash, you get wetter, but it feels really good in the heat. On Splash, you don't have as much to hold on to, as I remember, but on JTA you get MUCH more air time. I hated JTA, and don't think it would be worth it to anybody who doesn't like flumes. I hope this helped. :flower:

My DD, then 10, cried for about 45 minutes after getting of JTA, with no exaggeration. It was to the point that some nice people would stop and ask "are you okay?" while we were waiting for DH and DD5 to do it again.

After the big drop, you start to go back up again, but it's tame, she thought we were going to be dropped again and she really got hysterical.

If you're DD is afraid of drops, I would definitely avoid this one.

Not sure how old DD is, but there is also a very ominous sea dragon with glowing green eyes as you go up one of the hills inside... scared DS half to death the first time we rode it. The imagery and animatronics inside are really beautiful... if she doesn't want to go, I would suggest going yourself while someone waits with her.

Make sure to check out the glass floor in the portico of the gift shop at JTA... it looks down on a huge aquarium of some great fish!!!

How does JTA compare with the Jurassic Park ride? I could handle JP. Maybe it was b/c it was dark (or did I have my eyes closed?) and I couldn't actually see how far I was falling! :blush:

I've been on it twice and have been soaked both times. Even with a poncho on! The water seems to come in this huge wave on either side of the log thing we're in and just drench us. Spent the entire day in wet shorts.

KerriKaden said:
How does JTA compare with the Jurassic Park ride? I could handle JP. Maybe it was b/c it was dark (or did I have my eyes closed?) and I couldn't actually see how far I was falling! :blush:
Jurassic Park *seemed* much shorter drop than JTA. On JTA you can see that you're dropping, and it definitely looks pretty steep. I tended to have the sensation of flying a bit going down JTA (coming off the seat), but on Jurassic Park I stayed where I was supposed to be, if I remember right. JTA is definitely bigger and steeper than JP.

The time we did JTA, it wasn't the drop that got us wet, it was around the corner when the boat got "flooded" by a wave. The ponchos did us no good, so it was "wet butt" for the next 2-3 hours.
When were wer there last week, I didn't go on it, but it looked like many people were getting really sacked by the coin operated squirt fountains after the drop.

Both rides are great if you like to get wet and like the feeling of "Losing your gut" I personally think that Splash Mountain is much cuter and longer. My DD5 went on JTA with me and was scared of the "theme". We went to MK on Thursday but it poured all day and was only 50 degrees so we didn't do SM. :sad1:
Teresa

We managed to go down both drops on JTA without getting too wet, and so we were feeling pretty proud of ourselves.... I was just getting ready to mention to my DH how amazing it was we hadn't got too wet...when....

BAM! We were hit by a CANNON-ball of water!!! Right in the face!!!! :crazy: Soaked us to the underwear, and then some...

...it was those darn water cannons that people put in a quarter and aim for your log as you come around the corner....and wouldn't you know it, there was some guy on it that had the aim of Dirty Harry. :rolleyes1 He was dead-on. And the people gathered around him thought it was the funniest thing they had ever seen, when that cannon-ball of water hit us. :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

You can imagine how happy we were to be the source of such amusement for everyone that day. ;)

You don't get wet with Atlantis YOU GET SOAKED. After the drop there is a point in which water is shot at you plus the water cannons.

I agree, you get soaked on Atlantis... and I really didn't understand the "theme" the one time we rode it.

Atlantis has a bigger drop than Splash. It's also really rough. I mean really rough. Also, if you sit in the front row, there's a part where the boat dips down and the front row literally floods with water.

Jurassic Park has the tallest drop out of the three at 85 feet. I believe it's also one of the steepest in the world.

Splash Mountain is my favourite out of the two, much cutier and you don't get that wet. JTA I found was a bit of a scary dark ride and you do get soaked. I think the drop is longer in JTA.

Ever since I rode Tower of Terror when I was 10 and nearly fell out, I've been scared of the drops on these types of rides. If really pressured I'll ride Splash Mountain and be fine when its done, it's the anticipation that really kills me. I rode Jurassic Park a few years ago and made the mistake of watching a travel channel show on Universal prior to going so I knew when it would drop. I could not stop shaking when I got off. I don't mind Rockin Roller Coaster but assume thats because i can't tell when dropping, but I'm going to Sea World in two weeks and was wondering how bad the drop of Atlantis is compared to the other two. Please let me know thanks

I was in the "soaked" category. My son and I were in the front row and as we rounded the corner after the drop, a big wave of water came into the boat. If you picture sitting in a bath tub of water with your clothes on, then you'd have a perfect visual of what we looked like. Ponchos would have done us no good. If it wasn't for that we would have loved the ride. He was 7 years old at the time.

JTA....

SOAKED does not begin to describe it!!! We were drenched, by the splashes, the waves, cannons, etc... Thank goodness this was the last thing we did late in the afternoon, cause after that, we immediately left the Park to go get dry!!!

Anyone in the front of the boat on JTA is liable to look like they just got thrown into a swimming pool! (I think that the chances of this are lesser further back in the boat?)

Well, we went on JTA several times in a row in Dec (and we've been on it before) and didn't really get wet, besides our butts. It is pretty tame, my ds5 is the reason we went on it mulitple times.

Can anyone tell me how JTA compares to Dudley Dooright Ripsaw Falls log ride at Islands of Adventure?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter