Comparing Value Resorts

Normally my family stays in deluxe resorts, but we have stayed at All Star Sports, All Star Movies, Pop and AOA during several of the Disney races. Our least favorite was Pop because it was extremely crowded and chaotic! We also found the lines for the buses at the end of the day to be crazy long for Pop and AOA. We really liked AOA (but we were in a suite there).

We had no complaints about staying at either All Star resort and we slightly preferred Movies over Sports. We found the bus service to be very efficient and we didn't share buses between resorts. We did have a preferred room at Movies and it was a very short walk to everything.

I would also watch for discounts for the Swan/Dolphin. They may end up offering something that would make it comparable to the rates you are seeing for a value. I think it is later in the fall when they usually release any holiday promotions. We have stayed there during December before to avoid the crazy rates for a deluxe at Epcot.

That is true for just about every WDW resort.

I wouldn't say generally. I would say very rarely do they all share one bus. When they do, it's in the middle of the day when there are a small amount of guests traveling to each resort.
I suppose we've had different experiences (I'm not saying you're wrong). I've just noticed that the line for other resorts, in particular some Moderates and most Deluxes have less people waiting on their bus lines. Perhaps the bus load itself is just as crowded, but not the bus line. Second, All Stars are definitely put together on one bus after MK closes. I've never ridden the bus during the day because we ride it to the park in the morning and to the hotel at night after the park closes. Just my two cents on the matter.

Many thanks to all for all the input. Although I had hoped for unanimity of opinion, LOL.

Many thanks to all for all the input. Although I had hoped for unanimity of opinion, LOL.
I suppose it varies by everyone's experiences. If you decide to go with an All Star resort, I guess I'd say Movies since you're asking for a firm recommendation. Pop is located closer to MK, but I have little experience with this resort.

OF the 3 you have listed I would go with the All Star Music. More often than not each All Star has it's own bus. And it being much smaller than Pop will be a nice plus, especially when the parks are busy. Less people fighting for space on that bus. For what it is worth, less people at all of the public spaces of the resort--the pool, the bus stop, the laundry, the food court, the gift shop. I've stayed at Pop, and honestly, I don't think it deserves the rave reviews it gets. It is nice, but all of the values are nice. Nothing deserving of the extra $19 a night.

If it is available I would actually go with the All Star Sports. The theming is actually pretty--lots of blues and greens around the preferred buildings by the main pool. And a recently redone food court.

The all star resorts ONLY share a bus during the least busy times!! IMHO the bus sharing is WAY overstated!!

My personal fave is Music, but I like them all!

Pop has lovely lake views but with 1,000 more rooms it has more people, more crowds and more food court mayhem.

AoA is the ONLY WDW that I have no desire to revisit. It was a HIKE (and I'm a runner) to the food court from LM rooms, so much so that refillable mugs were downright laughable. The food court, which in all fairness I have revisited twice while staying at Pop, is MADNESS and I found the food "sounded" much better than it tasted.

The only value I've stayed at is All Star Music and, fwiw, we LOVED it. Our favorite resort is AKL and we stay there most often. Or least favorite has been SSR, I really wouldn't stay there again unless it was free. My husband said the beds at ASMu were much more comfortable than SSR, where we transferred from (I can sleep anywhere so I honestly didn't notice!). The room was spotless, I like that it has the more common motel feature of the sink separate from the toilet, and I really appreciated that the sink area had a privacy curtain. The bus service was great for the couple of days we were there.

1. POP
2. All star (preferrably sport because 1. it's not a long walk to the food court. 2. first one off of magical express. 3. first one to be picked up/dropped off when sharing.)
3. AOA

Looking to book 2 rooms for Christmas Week - 12/28 to 1/1. I'll be booking 2 rooms, that don't need to be adjacent, but would like them fairly close together. Either 2 doubles/queens or 1 King would be fine for either room.

Here's how I would rank some of the considerations
Bus service - Important (really important following the Epcot fireworks on NYE)
Cleanliness - Important
Refrigerator - Important
Bed comfort - somewhat important
Theming - mostly don't care, but we would like AoA the best
Pool - don't care
Food Court - don't care

I know Pop Century is being renovated - what percent do you think will be done by Christmas?

Is it worth the extra money to go with one of the higher rated resorts?

I have experience staying at values and I make my choice based on what theme I would like most for that trip. During the holidays, I prefer staying at Pop b/c it may be simple but I like their lobby decor and the walk over to see AoA is nice as well. So, if you think you would enjoy AoA theme, stay at AoA (knowing if you are booking a standard room, the walk to the lobby & bus stop will be a few minutes from Little Mermaid section). Or book Pop to be able to walk across the bridge & check AoA out & eat in the food court.

Personally having stayed at all of the All Stars and Pop, with the occasional trip across the bridge to AoA for the food court etc, I would say Pop or AoA. I enjoyed the theming of Pop and you have a much better chance of getting a room close to buses and the food court etc than you do with a little Mermaid Room. That being said I haven't stayed there so I can't speak to the walk or the space in the rooms.

I have always had a better stay at Pop, the staff has been more helpful, the food court has been less congested, and the overall experience has just been better. Also as an all adult group I would take into account that basically everyone at AoA is families with young kids (from what I have seen going to movies on the lawn, food court, lobby, etc.) and if that is something you want to deal with, some people love it and some don't.

I would say I will be staying in one of the suites at AoA in February and might feel totally different after that. I will say that AoA gets bonus points for the fact that you can see HS fireworks from the main building.

Well, we've stayed at Boardwalk Villas a few times, usually in one of the further rooms from the elevators. While we don't like that walk (more so at the end of the vacation), we can certainly live with it. From looking at the maps on Touring Plans that walk is at least as long as any of the walks at any of the Value Resorts (with the possible exception of the furthest LM rooms), so I'm gonna say we don't care about the distance to the buses.

But all the other advice you've given about location should certainly be helpful to others. Also FYI, for All Star Sports, only the Preferred Rooms are still available for those 4 days, so a lot of people seem to be agreeing that paying up isn't as important there. For All Star Music and Movies, both Standard and Preferred are still available.

I have stayed at AS Music every year since 2009. I love the place. I have also stayed at Pop but went back to Music. First of all, All Stars share buses, just like every other resort at WDW during the middle of the day when ridership is very low. At night, they have their own buses. I am talking from experiance here, not fro what I have heard. Two, Music has 1609 rooms, Pop has 2880 rooms and Art has 1984, mostly suites. Figure it out yourself. Less rooms means less people means less on the bus, at the pool in the restaurant, in the gift shop, etc. Finally, I have found the staff to be wonderful. Look at my picture. That's me with the girls in the gist shop. I email and get email from the staff year long. We usually travel every year in February but because of a death in the family we were unable to go this year. I got concerned emails wondering if we were all right. The feeling of family is what draws me back every year.

I have stayed at POP, Music and Movies in the value resort category. My favorite of those 3 would be POP but Music and Movies were just fine as well. I am going on a solo trip in September and staying at Movies because it was the only value available at the Enchanted Escape discount.

Several people have mentioned taking the bridge from POP to AoA....and I agree that is a nice perk. However, isn't the bridge now closed or closing because of the gondola construction?

My overwhelming concern would be the buses.

Based only on what I've read, that would mean POP over the All Stars, regardless of the slight difference in price.

My brother stays at POP every year. He usually takes the AOA bus because the wait every night for POP is horrendous. Remeber, POP is the largest value resort. Every resort, during peak times, has their own assigned bus. You jast have alot more people staying at POP due to the larger number of rooms at POP. Pop has 2880 rooms, Music as 1604. You figure it out. 1200 more rooms at 2 people per room means 2400 more people.

Last night we waited for 45 minutes for a bus from MK to AS Music. Three buses came and left before we could get on - at almost 1AM. The lines for all the resorts were very long, and people were clapping when their bus pulled up. It wasn't just an All Star bus issue it was all the buses.

Everything else about music has been great. The rooms and grounds are clean. It's pretty quiet. The food court is not busy and there are plenty of tables. I'm used to a memory foam mattress, so the bed is just ok.

This is my 2nd time here this year. I am a DVC member, but I'm out of points for the year. I will definitely stay here again.

Several people have mentioned taking the bridge from POP to AoA....and I agree that is a nice perk. However, isn't the bridge now closed or closing because of the gondola construction?
As far as I know, the gondola construction has not started yet, but it could start any day. Nobody knows for sure if the bridge will be closing or not, or for how long if it does close. Lots of unknowns.

Bus service to any All Star will be crowded after a busy day at the park. They put all the All Stars together on one bus generally. In regards to cleanliness, all values are upheld top the same standards as the moderates and deluxes.

Actually they dont. They only put all 3 resorts on one bus in the middle of the day when its not very busy. Last trip i stayed at sports and we rarely shared.

If it is available I would actually go with the All Star Sports. The theming is actually pretty--lots of blues and greens around the preferred buildings by the main pool. And a recently redone food court.
Yes I agree. It has a compact layout, so getting around wont take long. The theme at the main pool is beautiful. I love the gaint surfboards and the "wooden" walkway/boardwalk.

That is true for just about every WDW resort.

I wouldn't say generally. I would say very rarely do they all share one bus. When they do, it's in the middle of the day when there are a small amount of guests traveling to each resort.
:thumbsup2

From what I have experienced, that is not true. I have found the bus service at the All Stars to be a slight bit better than that at the Pop. Less people fighting for seats on the buses at the All Stars. And the bus stops tend to be a smidge closer to the gates than the stops for the Pop. Going on bus service alone no way is the Pop's service $19 a night better. It probably isn't $5 a night better.
I've noticed the same thing at the all stars. The bus service is a bit better. Less people in line due to the smallness of sports, which I love...pop is a much bigger resort with 2880 rooms (vs 1920 rooms at each of theall stars). So it makes sense as to why the lines are longer.

AoA is the ONLY WDW that I have no desire to revisit. It was a HIKE (and I'm a runner) to the food court from LM rooms, so much so that refillable mugs were downright laughable. The food court, which in all fairness I have revisited twice while staying at Pop, is MADNESS and I found the food "sounded" much better than it tasted.
I agree. its a long hike if you're refilling your mug often or going back and forth between your room and the main building. Esp after a long day at the park. It can get tiring.

Sports is my fave, i love the compact layout. Pop would be my second choice. Love the lakeview rooms, and the close proximity to AoA. However, the size of the resort (and long lines at the buses) can be a bit much some times. Music is the only resort i refurse to go to. It looked tired and dated, and it has one of the worst layouts out of all the all star resorts. This is aside from the fact that my room had bed bugs (which of course can happen at any resort). But my first impression of music was....meh.

If you happen to look at swan and dolphin, make sure to factor in their resort fee. That amount isn't included in the initial price you see, but if you click into the details, they will tell you there is an extra resort fee. It can add up fast for a long stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter