• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Comparisons

Woolly

Devon is Heaven
Anyone been to Disneyland California recently? How does it compare with DLP in terms of the parks and hotels. We are thinking of going here rather than Florida in 2 years time, as we have been to Florida before. Is there enough to do in 2 weeks? I know they have 2 parks and Downtown Disney. A week at DLP is usually enough but not sure if DLC has more about it (including new Cars land). What are hotels like compared to DLH, HNY and NPB? Are prices reasonable? Thanks in anticipation.

We are going for our first visit next summer :banana: :banana: :banana: for which I am just starting to plan so I'll be interested in the responses too. We'll only be staying for a week as we're tagging it onto a cruise and two, maybe three days of that week are going to be spent away from the parks. From the planning I've done so far I'm not sure I'd want to spend two weeks there - the longest I've ever spent at DLP was nine nights and I didn't get bored but I think if I was spending two weeks in California I'd prefer to make it at least a two-centre holiday.

A Small World has been there and has been very helpful with my many questions :flower3: so hopefully she'll be along soon to help.

we went to Disneyland a loooong time ago (22 years this September) and they only had the one park then - we did 2 days, but did not do any planning, dining etc. With the developments and what we know now we could probably spend a week, but Universal California is well worth a visit. We also enjoyed Knotts Berry Farm and 6 Flags Magic Mountain in the area - there is enough to do in the area for a week or even 2 but you might not spend it all at Disney;) For example, we really enjoyed the Getty museum in Malibu (which you have to book in high season).

Yes here I am :goodvibes

Yes as Elaine said Ive been twice.
The first time we went for a week but during that week also did a day at Knotts Berry Farm (another theme park close by) and a day at Sea World in San Diego. However we did go into the park after our day at Knotts to Mickeys Halloween party

Last Dec we were there for 5 and a bit days as we then went to Las Vegas for another 5 days.

I dont think you would need 2 weeks at the parks but there is loads more to do in California.
As San Diego is a few hours drive away you could spend a few days down there and do Sea World and the Zoo.
There is also Universal Studios and Magic Mountain theme park which has a lot of coasters if you are into those.

We didnt hire a car but did the trips by coach - I can give you details if you are interested

There are 3 main hotels but they tend to be on the expensive side. They are all within walking distance of the parks - Grand Californian is the most expensive and has an entrance into California Adventure. the other 2 Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier are about 15 mins walk through Downtown Disney.
However one big difference is that there are loads of offsite hotels all very close by - often closer than the onsite hotels. A popular one on Dis is Hojos- about 15 mins walk. They post on the DL board and offer discount to Dis members.

The first yr we stayed at Hojo and I thought we were there again last December but was surprised with the Grand Californian :love:

The parks are a similar distance apart as at DLP as is the downtown disney area - shops and restaurants no lake though

California Adventure has just gone through a lot of building work and as you commented Carsland will add a totally new land -opens today

Let me know if you want more info

Thanks for the feedback. I'll certainly be in touch. My Wife and her Mother are starting to do some planning now even though it is still 2 years away yet. May combine a cruise with it. Anyway, something else to look forward to.

We went last March :goodvibes I LOVED Disneyland so much! I'm afraid I haven't been to DLP or WDW yet though so won't be able to compare them, just tell you what I know about DLR.

We spent a just over a week in Anaheim (arrived Saturday, left Sunday). We didn't go to the parks on the days we arrived and left, but went every other day except one, when we went to Universal Studios.

We were there at a very low time just before spring break, and a lot of things were closed for maintenance (including the whole Critter Country area), or being re-furbished. There were no parades, although we did see a small Pixar 'pop-up' parade a couple of times at DCA. World of Colour had opened though and was awesome! My now DH proposed after the show while all the lights and fountains were still on - so romantic :love: We also enjoyed the Downtown Disney area.

Apart from our day at Universal Studios (which we organised as a tour from our Anaheim hotel), we also did a tour around the Newport area (we are both OC fans!). We were back in Anaheim by mid-afternoon though so spent the afternoon/evening at DLR.

We didn't stay at a Disney hotel as they were unfortunately just too far out of our price range. But I know the Disneyland Hotel has recently had some refurbishment, and I would be very keen to stay there as a treat one time! As ASW mentioned, there are plenty of hotels in easy walking distance, catering to all needs and budgets. We stayed at the Howard Johnson on our first night and were thrilled to bits with it! We even sat on our balcony and enjoyed a crystal clear view of the fireworks. It was an easy walk to the parks and I believe they do some pretty good specials. The rest of the time we stayed at the Peacock Suites, which was booked as a present from my grandparents. It was ok, but not as close as we'd have liked, and nothing really special about it.

I actually wished we'd had more time in the area. I would have liked to visit Knott's Berry Farm, and maybe do a day tour to see the sights in LA, and check out some of the outlet malls. And I could have easily spent another week at DLR, but I think DH had enough after a week. We were a bit disappointed with Universal, but when we went there were literally no lines (ie everything was a walk-on), and we just found it very difficult to fill in the day!

If you wanted to go further afield (which I definitely would have considered if we were staying for 2 weeks), you could think about going down to San Diego. They have SeaWorld, Legoland (though I have heard this is only good for very young children), and the zoos.

We found DLR wonderfully full of charm and nostalgia. As the only park that Walt got to see through to completion, I would recommend every Disney nut go at least once in their lives if they can :thumbsup2

This thread has been really enlightening for me. We are planning our honeymoon and unconventionally we shall be taking DD with us. As quite frankly, I couldn't imagine being away from her for a couple of weeks!

We naturally thought about doing WDW, but now after researching it a lot last night I think that this might be a better alternative! :thumbsup2

This thread has been really enlightening for me. We are planning our honeymoon and unconventionally we shall be taking DD with us. As quite frankly, I couldn't imagine being away from her for a couple of weeks!

We naturally thought about doing WDW, but now after researching it a lot last night I think that this might be a better alternative! :thumbsup2

DL is a wonderful park and already mentioned that Walt was alive when this park opened. It is in the middle of the city and is something that the locals go to for fun. It tends to get very busy on weekends and holidays. Two parks and very tight together which makes going from ride to ride very easy. World of color is amazing and you get your fast passes behind Gizzly river rapids. Get there early with everyone park ticket for the first show passes.

WDW is a destination. It is where people fly into from all parts of the world. The locals go but not on weekends as much. It has 4 parks, all with different themes. You can take a monorail from MK to Epcot but that is really the only park with park to park connections. AK is farther out but you can take a bus from your resort. You can also take a boat from Beach Club or Boardwalk to DHS. I could go into all options of transportation but there is board for that.

My point being, DL is the original and smaller, great for a few days. WDW is a destination and would easily take up a week or more.

Both are wonderful.

Well, it's funny how fate plays a hand in your life. I am currently in a hotel in Anaheim, staying for some business training this week. Who would have thought it? So, I came a few days early and have spent today and yesterday in Disneyland. So now I can make the comparison. So here goes

Overall, this place is fantastic. Sorry, but I rate it above DLP. I could easily spend a week here with my family and not get bored. In particular, the California Adventure park is superb.

I am not knocking DLP, because DLP is great. In fact I would say that the original Disneyland Park here in CA is not as good as the main park at DLP. It does not seem as big, although they have crammed a lot in. The DLP castle is much more impressive. Both parks are good but quite different. I was also a bit disappointed with the parade.

Downtown Village slightly pips Disney Village in the look, feel and cleanliness. There is a great vibe/atmosphere all around.

The main reason that this resort beats DLP is DCA park. I felt it was amazing with some great rides. The Cars ride is one of the best I have been on.

Back to bigging up DLP, I think the hotels are better at DLP. I had a quick look in the 2 main hotels and they were good but not as good as the DLH.

Unfortunately, I missed the evening entertainment both nights (due to being tired) so can't comment on the fireworks and the night show in DCA. Dreams would take some beating though.

Anyway, I have decided that if I can afford it I will take the family here when the kids are a few years older. DLP is still going to be our main destination.

If anyone want to ask any questions about the resort I'll try and answer if I can.

Well, I never! Of all the exciting places to get sent for a course! :cool1:

Thanks for posting :) and I do hope you manage to find time to see World of Colour. If you do, please say how you think it compares with Dreams.

I had a quick look in the 2 main hotels and they were good but not as good as the DLH.
Thank you, thank you, thank you :teeth: as I'd have loved to stay at the Grand Californian but funds simply don't allow - you've made me feel soooooooo much happier! :goodvibes

My family far prefers Disneyland to WDW any day! It's much more cozy and feels like 'home'.

Our first trip to DL was for 11 days, and though he had a wonderful time, it wasn't needed to see all of the park. Can't wait for the day we can return...we love it there most of all! :)

Well, I never! Of all the exciting places to get sent for a course! :cool1:

Thanks for posting :) and I do hope you manage to find time to see World of Colour. If you do, please say how you think it compares with Dreams.

Thank you, thank you, thank you :teeth: as I'd have loved to stay at the Grand Californian but funds simply don't allow - you've made me feel soooooooo much happier! :goodvibes

It was my last day of training today and I fly back tomorrow. No plans to do any more Disney stuff, and then we finished up ay lunchtime (shock horror). So I get on the next shuttle bus and into Disney California Adventrue by 13-00, determined to watch the Aladdin musical show, do the toy story ride and, of course, watch the world of colour.

I've just got back and can safely say about WoC ...............Wow! Amazing!

Better than Dreams? No, but not worse either. They are completely different. This is animation on water fountains with lots of colour (as you may have guessed) and lasers and fire. Excellent montages and the Brave piece was brilliant. Imagine the water fountains in Dreams and multiply the height by 2. You will love it. It is 30 minutes long. If you want a good viewiing place get a fastpass for reserved areas. It is a bit of a squeeze to get everyone in. I stood by the Little Mermaid ride, right in front of the big wheel and had a pretty good view (queued about an hour before it started).

Lots of single rider queues which can knock off a lot of waiting time. The Cars ride (which is amazing) often has a queue of 2 hours. I got on in 10 minutes as a single rider. The 'Soarin' ride is also amazing.

Yay!! You got some extra time to go play! :yay:

Great news that you got to see WoC :thumbsup2 and thanks for reporting back. I am so looking forward to it. :goodvibes

Thats great that you got to go there for a training course - your managers must have been reading Dis and seen your post :rotfl:

It was interesting to read your comparisons. I love DL but think there are things which are better at DLP (I prefer POC at DLP as the drops are bigger and the queue area is better themed)
Also I think the castle at DLP is the most stunning of the 3 parks Ive been to.

I also really like DCA and am looking forward to seeing the new Carsland and other additions

Ive not seen dreams yet so cant compare it but WOC is amazing and the fireworks at DL are as well.

We are now busy planning our 3rd trip and cant wait to be there again - :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter