Complete newbie to Rundisney. Princess or Star Wars?

Shelbizzles

Mermaid
hello Disfriends!
My DH and I are considering taking a trip to Disney for one of the Run Disney events!
We are currently working on eating healthier and exercising more. So we thought a nice goal would be a 5k in 2018 and what better place to do it then at Disney :thumbsup2
But it's a little overwhelming :faint: neither of us have ever done a 5k at Disney or anywhere for that matter. I was checking out the different events and we were thinking either the princess weekend or one of the Star Wars ones. Are they basically the same thing, just different themes?

Any tips or suggestions you can give to this beginner would be awesome!

:disrocks:

Does either theme appeal to you more?
Does either time of the year work out better?

The courses are the same (Epcot) so that's not really a factor, I guess. I think Darkside (assuming that's the one you're talking about and not Light Side in Disneyland) will be warmer and possibly more crowded since it's closer to Spring Break.

Biggest tips:
1. Be familiar with when registration starts, especially if you pick Princess as 2018 will be the 10th anniversary of that weekend
2. Get fitted for running shoes and find a good training plan that you can/will follow

Does either theme appeal to you more?
Does either time of the year work out better?

Honestly the princess one. But I was kinda worried it might be too girly of a race for DH. He told me he doesn't care and will do that one. Do a lot of guys do princess? Or is it usually just women?

Either one would work but i was again leaning more towards February to avoid Spring break.

1. Be familiar with when registration starts, especially if you pick Princess as 2018 will be the 10th anniversary of that weekend

Yikes. I didn't realize it was the 10th anniversary. Do the races sell out pretty quickly?

Also - you get Flower and Garden Festival in Epcot if you go during Darkside, which is pretty cool!

Ooo. That would be awesome. I've never been there during it!
But race weekend, a festival and around spring break probably make for some pretty busy parks :eek:

Honestly the princess one. But I was kinda worried it might be too girly of a race for DH. He told me he doesn't care and will do that one. Do a lot of guys do princess? Or is it usually just women?

Either one would work but i was again leaning more towards February to avoid Spring break.

Yikes. I didn't realize it was the 10th anniversary. Do the races sell out pretty quickly?
Men do run the races but are greatly outnumbered. This year 10% of the half marathon finishers were men!

This race weekend in particular usually sells out pretty quickly...so I'd definitely set up your Active accounts ahead of time and be ready to go on registration day!

For me it comes down to theme & time of year. I'm doing Star Wars this year & have never done Princess. Star Wars only has Star Wars characters out where Princess has Disney characters & not just princesses. So, if you want Disney characters than Princess would be better.

Star Wars will have more gender neutral race shirts I think versus Princess which are more 'girly' if that makes sense. The 5k Chip/Potts shirt this year was adorable though, but not "manly" if your husband cares about that. But if you aren't Star Wars fans than the shirts might not mean much.

Plenty of guys do Princess, it's not just women, but it is significantly smaller. Like 18,000 women finished the half and only 2000 men. Who knows in the 5k numbers wise, but I seemed to see a lot of men/boys in picutres people posted.

For me training for an April race is a little easier as Spring starts and is better/warmer weather than Jan weather to train for a Feb race.

April weather in Florida will be warmer than Feb. (although you never really know), but I like heat so that doesn't worry me.

This year the race is right after Easter so room rates are higher the week before the race versus the week after. They seem to change this race dates based on Easter, although this is just the 2nd year of it.

The posters above have way more knowledge about those race weekends, but I just wanted to stop by to say Congrats on deciding to do a 5k and to wish you lots of luck on your journey :)

Men do run the races but are greatly outnumbered. This year 10% of the half marathon finishers were men!

This race weekend in particular usually sells out pretty quickly...so I'd definitely set up your Active accounts ahead of time and be ready to go on registration day!

as long as he's not the only guy I think he will be fine with it.
You register on a different website then Disney right?

For me it comes down to theme & time of year. I'm doing Star Wars this year & have never done Princess. Star Wars only has Star Wars characters out where Princess has Disney characters & not just princesses. So, if you want Disney characters than Princess would be better.

Star Wars will have more gender neutral race shirts I think versus Princess which are more 'girly' if that makes sense. The 5k Chip/Potts shirt this year was adorable though, but not "manly" if your husband cares about that. But if you aren't Star Wars fans than the shirts might not mean much.

Plenty of guys do Princess, it's not just women, but it is significantly smaller. Like 18,000 women finished the half and only 2000 men. Who knows in the 5k numbers wise, but I seemed to see a lot of men/boys in picutres people posted.

For me training for an April race is a little easier as Spring starts and is better/warmer weather than Jan weather to train for a Feb race.

April weather in Florida will be warmer than Feb. (although you never really know), but I like heat so that doesn't worry me. They seem to change this race dates based on Easter, although this is just the 2nd year of it.

This year the race is right after Easter so room rates are higher the week before the race versus the week after.

We are big Star Wars fans. So it would be really awesome to see all the characters. But I just love the princesses! I'm sure we would enjoy either race but for some reason the princess one is just calling to me :laughing:

As long as he isn't alone then he will be fine lol. I just wanted to make sure he wouldn't feel out of place.

When you sign up for a race do you get a free shirt? Or are they only for purchase?

I think I would prefer cooler weather. Usually go in September and it feels like a million degrees. So cooler would be a nice change. And I wouldn't mind a cooler run.

I'm so torn between the two races.

The posters above have way more knowledge about those race weekends, but I just wanted to stop by to say Congrats on deciding to do a 5k and to wish you lots of luck on your journey :)

Thank you so much! :-)

When you sign up for a race do you get a free shirt? Or are they only for purchase?

You get a 'free' shirt with each race.

The 5k shirt is a cotton unisex tshirt you'll get a the expo when you pick up your bib.

Then, they have merchandise for sale as well at the expo, different from the 'free' shirt.

I did Princess last year and we are planning on Star Wars Light Side next year.

I was glad Princess was my first. It was an amazing experience to be around so many women and I wasn't intimidated at all. And I still think the Princess medals are the prettiest. There were plenty of guys running including husbands with their wives- couples costumes are always a big hit BTW.

Since you have made the decision with so much time to train- maybe consider the 10k? The medal for the 10k is usually metal rather than plastic, there are more characters to see, and you can still run/walk it. I ran the half with my best friend- but her mother and aunt walked the 10k and had a blast. The aunt was even regretting not doing the half (I however was regretting not doing the challenge because the 10k medal was shaped like a seashell for the Ariel theme and was so darned cute!)

Princess sells out fast, especially the shorter races. It is worth it to make the active.com account ahead of time and be ready at noon to get started.

Be sure to wear your medal to Hollywood Studios and show it to the Green Army men. They get very impressed. I didn't wear mine that day and missed out on joining my cousin for the coolest photo op ever.

How about both? If you run the Star Wars 1/2 at Disneyland and the Princess 1/2 at Disney World, then you get the Coast to Coast medal. You have plenty of time to train for a 1/2 before 2018 hits.

That way you get both great themes (as you can tell by my avatar, my two favorite films are Star Wars and Sleeping Beauty), and the Coast to Coast opportunity.

I did Princess last year and we are planning on Star Wars Light Side next year.

I was glad Princess was my first. It was an amazing experience to be around so many women and I wasn't intimidated at all. And I still think the Princess medals are the prettiest. There were plenty of guys running including husbands with their wives- couples costumes are always a big hit BTW.

Since you have made the decision with so much time to train- maybe consider the 10k? The medal for the 10k is usually metal rather than plastic, there are more characters to see, and you can still run/walk it. I ran the half with my best friend- but her mother and aunt walked the 10k and had a blast. The aunt was even regretting not doing the half (I however was regretting not doing the challenge because the 10k medal was shaped like a seashell for the Ariel theme and was so darned cute!)

Princess sells out fast, especially the shorter races. It is worth it to make the active.com account ahead of time and be ready at noon to get started.

Be sure to wear your medal to Hollywood Studios and show it to the Green Army men. They get very impressed. I didn't wear mine that day and missed out on joining my cousin for the coolest photo op ever.

Princess is just sounding better and better to me.
Not sure if I could convince my husband to wear costumes lol but he'll have no problem joining in the race.

I just worry because I've never really done anything like this before and I'm not in the greatest shape of my life. So I thought I would start small and work towards a 5k and was worried 10k may be too much?

Thanks for the tips :thumbsup2

How about both? If you run the Star Wars 1/2 at Disneyland and the Princess 1/2 at Disney World, then you get the Coast to Coast medal. You have plenty of time to train for a 1/2 before 2018 hits.

That way you get both great themes (as you can tell by my avatar, my two favorite films are Star Wars and Sleeping Beauty), and the Coast to Coast opportunity.

That would be amazing. Unfortunately a trip to California is not in my budget or time off :guilty:

I just worry because I've never really done anything like this before and I'm not in the greatest shape of my life. So I thought I would start small and work towards a 5k and was worried 10k may be too much?

I totally get it. I was never a runner before I signed up for the half almost two years ago. In 2015 registration wasn't till July- so after some talks with friends in early spring I started a Couch-to-5k program in June- super early to start training but I wanted to know before I committed to the race that I wasn't going to be miserable the whole time- either during training or during be half. My best friend was the runner- I did yoga. Poorly and Sporadically. My couch to 5k program was incredibly gradual (they started off having you walk most of the session, then run for very short intervals-15 seconds to start. Workouts were less than 30 minutes every other day) and it took 8 weeks. I wasn't very fast, and I wasn't running the whole 5k without a break, but I felt good. I didn't follow a formal 10 k training plan after that because Zombies Run didnt make one- but I had to run a 10k race to get a qualifying time for the Princess Half. I ran short runs 1-2 times during the week and then really gradually increased my weekend run from 5k to 10k over the next 3 months.

I don't wanna push you and you will have a great time in the 5K. But in case you were maybe thinking and wondering- going from the couch to 10k is totally doable- and at a very gradual and slow training schedule that will not consume your life- before next years Princess.

You also might want to look into the Jeff Galloway method that mixes running and walking.

No matter the distance you decide- make sure to get fitted for shoes at your local running store. The process can make you feel like an idiot but it is worth it.

I totally get it. I was never a runner before I signed up for the half almost two years ago. In 2015 registration wasn't till July- so after some talks with friends in early spring I started a Couch-to-5k program in June- super early to start training but I wanted to know before I committed to the race that I wasn't going to be miserable the whole time- either during training or during be half. My best friend was the runner- I did yoga. Poorly and Sporadically. My couch to 5k program was incredibly gradual (they started off having you walk most of the session, then run for very short intervals-15 seconds to start. Workouts were less than 30 minutes every other day) and it took 8 weeks. I wasn't very fast, and I wasn't running the whole 5k without a break, but I felt good. I didn't follow a formal 10 k training plan after that because Zombies Run didnt make one- but I had to run a 10k race to get a qualifying time for the Princess Half. I ran short runs 1-2 times during the week and then really gradually increased my weekend run from 5k to 10k over the next 3 months.

I don't wanna push you and you will have a great time in the 5K. But in case you were maybe thinking and wondering- going from the couch to 10k is totally doable- and at a very gradual and slow training schedule that will not consume your life- before next years Princess.

You also might want to look into the Jeff Galloway method that mixes running and walking.

No matter the distance you decide- make sure to get fitted for shoes at your local running store. The process can make you feel like an idiot but it is worth it.

I looked at some couch to 5k plans that were on Pinterest and they all kind of intimidated me. Mostly because they started right off the bat with a lot of running. I need just mainly walking at first. I have an issue with my ankle and I have to take it slowly at first and hopefully build up to running/walking intervals. But I will definitely consider the 10k. I think the sign ups are in may if I'm not mistaken. So I have some time to decide

I looked at some couch to 5k plans that were on Pinterest and they all kind of intimidated me. Mostly because they started right off the bat with a lot of running. I need just mainly walking at first. I have an issue with my ankle and I have to take it slowly at first and hopefully build up to running/walking intervals. But I will definitely consider the 10k. I think the sign ups are in may if I'm not mistaken. So I have some time to decide

Sounds like Galloway would be a good place to look. FWIW mine was called ZombiesRun 5K training. Week 1 was 10 minute walk, then ten minutes of 1 min walk :15 second slow run intervals, then ten minute walk (or run if you feel like it). I just liked that they talked to me the whole time so I kept my mind off it.

Sounds like Galloway would be a good place to look. FWIW mine was called ZombiesRun 5K training. Week 1 was 10 minute walk, then ten minutes of 1 min walk :15 second slow run intervals, then ten minute walk (or run if you feel like it). I just liked that they talked to me the whole time so I kept my mind off it.

Is that an app?

And do the 5k or the 10k require qualifying times? Or is that just the marathons?

nd do the 5k or the 10k require qualifying times? Or is that just the marathons?

NONE of the races require qualifying times.

For corralling purposes, to divide people up to start, so it's not one big mess all starting at once you put in times.

For the 5k & 10k when you register you put an estimated pace. Like 11-12 min/mile, it's a drop down box you select from.

For the half of full marathon you put an estimated finish time, from a drop down box. But... If you put an estimated finish of 2:45 or less for a half or 5:30 or less for a full you have to put another race in as Proof of Time, this is the only time you need another race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter