Computing Points Balance

sjddds

Earning My Ears
Boy, am I slow or what? I purchased 350 points at VWL this May. My use year is December. I thought that meant that I would be awarded 350 points in December so made a reservation for Feb 2002. Got to thinking about it and called member services. She said that I received 350 points when I closed in May and that I'd receive 350 more in December. If that's true I have a banking problem. When I purchased I thought that the CM said that I wouldn't have points to use until December. He never brought up Magical beginnings so I assumed that I had no points. Boy do I feel dumb!
I'd sure appreciate some good advice.

Thanks

First, there should have been a form with all the contracts and other documents you signed that asked whether you wanted to bank any points. Did you fill out that form and sign it? If so, the points should have been banked. If not , and none have been banked, you can still bank 50% by the end of August. Also, what you might try is calling Member Services and explain the situation particularly your lack of knowing about having points that could be banked and see if they will do it any way. If you are able to bank points make sure they change your reservation to use the banked points before any points that will be issued in December 2001.

Your February reservation should have been made from your current points, not from your Dec 2001 allotment. MS always uses the most current points for reservations. It would not make sense to use your Dec 2001 points when you have Dec 2000 points available. (Which is what you actually received when you purchased).

I'll bet you don't have a problem after all. Call MS and find out exactly what use year points you have for 2000 and 2001. Remember, with a Dec UY, your 2001 points go from 12-1-01 to 11-30-02. So in your case, your use year points are very different from the calendar year, almost a full year's difference.

Your February reservation should have been made from your current points, not from your Dec 2001 allotment.

In this case, unless the Dec, 2000 points have been banked, they will expire on Nov 31, 2001- and cannot be used for a Feb, 2002 reservation.

I would certainly call MS and check on the status of the Dec, 2000 points. As drusba suggested, bank what you can (they may be willing to bank all of the points-if they are not already) and make sure those banked points are used for the Feb trip. If MS is reluctant to assist you, I'd also have my guide help straighten things out.

Good luck!

Don't count on MS using most current points first.
Caskbill, When I made my last ressies I called one day at a time. I had 40 points from 2000 (I also have Dec use year) and assumed they would use those first and then go on to my 2001 points that I'll be getting in Dec 2001. WRONG By the third day of calling I should have been done with the 40 points from 2000. NOT . The CM at MS I spoke to on the third day asked after I booked the third night if I had any banking or borrowing that she could help me with. I said no because I don't have any points left to bank. She said "oh yes you do. You have 40 points from 2000".
I was surprised and she fixed the whole thing for me. She said if you don't ask to bank them they don't use them because you might be planning another vacation in that year and you might want to use those points.
Lesson learned... from now on I will always say exactly what points I want used and after the ressies are made I will check my point ballances.
MAKE THE CALL!!!

Isn't there a once in a lifetime special banking that they could try, but I would also check with the guide because there should have been a banking form as someone mentioned, it should have been in the Blue document portfolio and is called the Vacation Points Banking Request for new members, and although it states that Normal Banking guidelines apply, please refer to your members guidebook for further information, it also goes on to say:

Dear member Services,

We hereby authorize you to automatically bank the number of Vacation Points reflected below into the next use year as soon as our deed is recorded.

We realize that this is a ONE-TIME OPTION, and from now on we will solely be responsible for monitoring the banking and borrowing deadlines associated with our use year and initiating and banking and borrowing transactions ourselves by calling member services directly. We also understand that this is a fianl transaction; once these vacation points are banked into the next use year, the transaction cannot be reversed or changed..

That form should have been in your document package for you to sign.

If MS or your guide can't work any magic, then you have till the end of August to bank 50% of those points like drusba mentioned and then either use the remaining 175 points before November 30 or rent them out and at least recoup the other 50% of it in cash for the rental

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter